Bills D vs. Geno should be fun

billsintaiwan

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yours is an overly skeptical viewpoint, in my opinion. The Pats* had Amendola and Vereen against us -- not so in their game against NY. Aside from not having Stewart the Panthers were at full strength.

The Jets have the worst skill position players in the league. Their offense is ranked 25th in yards, tied for 28th in yards per play, and 29th in points.

The Bills' defense is tied for 5th in yards allowed per play; total yardage is skewed by TOP differential (but still a respectable 18th).

The statistics would appear to significantly favor the ability of Buffalo's D to completely stifle the Jets' O.

True but the Jets' O goes against a D in practice that is very much like the Bills'. I'm not so sure Geno will be so surprised and rattled as most think.

The X-factor here is how Manuel does in his first NFL road game. Winning on the road with a young team is hard as hell, even against bad teams. Unlike some posters I don't want Manuel to push the ball down field, I want him to play it safe and avoid the big turnover. If he does the Bills win.

I really do like Pettine and his knowledge of the jets personnel to help out a lot here. Pettine will be able to help out Hackett and Marrone with the O game plan. Pettine also knows the Jets O pretty good. Pettine will be bale to pick Marrone and Hacketts brain about Geno.

I also agree with SJBF- Bills can win the next 3 games. Ravens are ripe for the picking. Cleveland on a Thursday night game should be fun too! This team could be 4-1(only loss being a last second FG by the pats).

I feel like he's going to scramble a lot, compared to Cam, so we need to be careful to not be *too* aggressive, or at least keep a zone/spy around the pocket.

Yup, that is a primary fear of mine. Though Geno isn't a running QB, he can easily rip off a 30yd run if he has a lane. Unlike some, I'm not liking this game at all. I hope I'm wrong, but we play like crap against Rex Ryan's Jets every damn season. Hopefully this year is when things change.

I really do like Pettine and his knowledge of the jets personnel to help out a lot here. Pettine will be able to help out Hackett and Marrone with the O game plan. Pettine also knows the Jets O pretty good. Pettine will be bale to pick Marrone and Hacketts brain about Geno.

I also agree with SJBF- Bills can win the next 3 games. Ravens are ripe for the picking. Cleveland on a Thursday night game should be fun too! This team could be 4-1(only loss being a last second FG by the pats).

It works both ways. The jets are familiar with Pettine too; the advantage isn't strictly ours.

he literally destroyed Geno during Independance Bowl at Yankee Stadium last year ....

To be accurate: He didn't destroy Geno in any way. He destroyed WV's defense. Geno had a good game. Syracuse ran the ball to the tune of something like 400yds..

Edited by bobobonators

The Bills D has played quite well against two elite qbs. Or, at the very least, one elite qb and one very good qb. I reckon we'll see some fireworks this Sunday.

The only thing that might save Geno is that he practices against the jets d, but I expect Pettine will have something new.

The jets aren't great, but it would still be a huge win for this young team.

Lets see if Mario can get some more sacks this week and I would even settle for just 2 ...lol

Can't wait to see what Petine does vs Geno., I think he brings the house this week.

If E.J, C.J., Freddy, Stevie and Woods do they parts and have 0 turnovers I have no doubt we will win. There I said it and I'm sticking to it.

Doesn't matter who's familiar with whom. It all comes down to the players, the matchups, and who executes better. Neither Rex or Pettine is gonna fool the other guy with something they've never seen. I trust both coaches to put their players in the best position to be successful.

GO BILLS!!!

We would be catching the Ravens wih Ray Rice not 100 percent. Cleveland ...we beat them last year, and will this year Id be very happy with 3-2 tho

Yup, that is a primary fear of mine. Though Geno isn't a running QB, he can easily rip off a 30yd run if he has a lane. Unlike some, I'm not liking this game at all. I hope I'm wrong, but we play like crap against Rex Ryan's Jets every damn season. Hopefully this year is when things change.

It works both ways. The jets are familiar with Pettine too; the advantage isn't strictly ours.

To be accurate: He didn't destroy Geno in any way. He destroyed WV's defense. Geno had a good game. Syracuse ran the ball to the tune of something like 400yds..

Sceme yes. But intimate knowledge of personnel is solely on Pettine. Pettine coached the D, he knows most of those players strengths and weakness'. He also saw firsthand the offenses strengths and weakness. Ie maybe an O linemen struggles more in pass protection then run blocking...

Could i be reaching? Sure. But i also think there is something to pettine wanting to beat Rex and the Jets. he will do all he can.

nah, his stats looked decent, but he looked really bad that day. I don't think that WVU converted a single 3rd/4th down all game long, and I know that Smith had at least 1 turnover. In 2011, Smith had another statistically acceptable game, but SU smashed the heavily-favored 'Neers. The year before that, Smith stats sucked, and SU won (again, against the favored and ranked WVU squad). That's the thing about Smith, you look at his stat line, and you're impressed. When I watched him play, most times, I was thoroughly unimpressed. More style than substance, IMO.

nah, his stats looked decent, but he looked really bad that day. I don't think that WVU converted a single 3rd/4th down all game long, and I know that Smith had at least 1 turnover. In 2011, Smith had another statistically acceptable game, but SU smashed the heavily-favored 'Neers. The year before that, Smith stats sucked, and SU won (again, against the favored and ranked WVU squad). That's the thing about Smith, you look at his stat line, and you're impressed. When I watched him play, most times, I was thoroughly unimpressed. More style than substance, IMO.

I understand that the stat line doesn't represent the entire truth. However, the only stat line that matters from that game is the nearly 400 YDS RUSHING obtained by Syracuse vs. WV. Geno having 2TD and 0 INT and 200+yds was certainly average for his standards in college. I'm sure Geno will have an axe to grind for B-lo and Marrone passing him up. Can't wait for this matchup - I want to hear Jets fans cry for a week on WFAN.

Edited by bobobonators

Doesn't matter who's familiar with whom. It all comes down to the players, the matchups, and who executes better. Neither Rex or Pettine is gonna fool the other guy with something they've never seen. I trust both coaches to put their players in the best position to be successful.

GO BILLS!!!

I think we're going to see the same thing from Rex's jets that we see every year. (Week 17 last year doesn't count, draft sandbagging).

They will be dirty, physical, run first,smash mouth, sh** talking. They will try to get us to take bad penalties. They know geno can't win the game throwing 30 times.

Bills need to buckle em up, stay disciplined and stop the run. Rex is a total douche but a proven motivator.

I saw the Thursday night game and Geno Smith leaves a lot to be desired. He holds on the ball a lot and doesn't seem to have a good command of the offense. He doesn't have good escapability and is prone to taking sacks. He has a good arm, and can make some good throws, but he looks nowhere near as confident and poised as Manuel. If all goes well, Pettine's D should be able to knock him out of the game.

I agree, but as an addendum to your point, the reason Geno was able to hold onto the ball a long time was their O-line seemed pretty stout. Of course, the Patriots pass rush is no great shakes, but I thought their O-line did a really nice job of protecting Geno.

I agree, but as an addendum to your point, the reason Geno was able to hold onto the ball a long time was their O-line seemed pretty stout. Of course, the Patriots pass rush is no great shakes, but I thought their O-line did a really nice job of protecting Geno.

Jets O-line is really good. Esp Brick and Mangold. Will be a great test for our D-line. Maybe one of them will hit our DB out of bounds on an INT return and give us 15 yards and then start a fight and get ejected. That was brilliant on TNF. Love Rex Ryan coached teams. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I recently checked and think we are ranked #18 in overall defense.

Not too shabby

CBF

15 according to Pro-football-reference

15 yards

18 points

32 in plays (thanks, Pats*)

5 in yards per play (Jets are 2, but again, factor in the Monsoon debacle)

4 in Net Yards per pass attempt

Can't take anything for a given, especially on the road vs a division rival... Going to be tough and the Jets are probably feeling they should win this game vs the lowly Bills.

-Absolutely can't lose the turnover battle, if we do it will be a struggle...

-While I think Geno is garbage, he is an athlete and can make some athletic big plays... need to force him into big mistakes instead.

-EJ needs to out perform Geno

-Shut down their run game and force Geno to become a pocket passer