Dareus' chance for revenge on Carolina this Sunday

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The REason: their defense is so stacked with 4 and 5 star athletes that they mask any deficincies. Their D coordinator is the best on college and their depth makes them a factory. Once they get to the next level they have a hard time being counted on and the spot light is that much brighter.

This is my thought as well, I wonder if teams will shy away from drafting Alabama D players in the future. Don't get me wrong, I think Dareus is a great player, but just not what we thought we were getting.

Don't get me wrong I would trade him for AJ, Julio, Watt, etc... All that I was saying is that he is 22 or 23 and just played his best game IMO. That is a good thing. There is no reason to cry over spilled milk; he is the guy we drafted. Let's hope that he continues to develop into a really good player.

Good post. I hope he continues to improve. The Defense at a whole right now is lacking, although they were on the field a LOT in game 1. We need to do a better job on 3rd downs on BOTH sides of the ball.

no one has looked at wilfork. Week 1 he did nothing. Last night did nothing.

Wilfork looks even more out of shape than usual...still hard to move though...

i hope this is the come to Jesus game for this defense and this young team...a win makes me think something is possible this year...a loss and I'm thinking we are a year away (which is probably more realistic). Go Bills!!!!!

I thought Dareus looked good Sunday. He was active and made plays when he had the chance. This season is big for his career.

3rd year for DT is often the breakout year. Fingers crossed Dareus turns it on from here on in.

I'm surprised at the amount of recent Alabama defensive players who have turned out to be average NFL players (Dareus, Mt. Cody, Hightower).

The offensive players oddly seem to fare better.

Maybe Dee Milliner will join that list.

One name that will not is WR Amari Cooper.

Watch out for him when he gets drafted

CBF

Great players show up great. They don't grow into it. While Dareus is not a bust, he's the guy we took instead of 4 great players taken after him.

Those who are satisfied with that defense amaze me. It might be better than last year, but it still was far worse than average.

I recall that Bruce Smith and OJ Simpson didn't burn up the league early in their career. I think there are plenty of others in the same category that didn't "show up great" - they improved with time. Check out Steve Young's career. I am pretty sure that even the immortal Peyton Manning threw MANY ints as a rookie.

I recall that Bruce Smith and OJ Simpson didn't burn up the league early in their career. I think there are plenty of others in the same category that didn't "show up great" - they improved with time. Check out Steve Young's career. I am pretty sure that even the immortal Peyton Manning threw MANY ints as a rookie.

Manning was 3-13 in his 1st yr with 26 TDs, 28 INTs and a 71.2 passer rating

Dareus did not have an awful game last week. He was double and triple teamed throughout the game. The worst play he had was one of the biggest Pat plays - the long run in the 1st qtr.

He was relentless in getting to the ball. I will watch the game about 2 or 3 more times in coaches view, though.

I thought he played well also, particularly in the 2nd half.

If you do watch the game again, tell me if it was my imagination or was he getting held all day long. I remember being surprised he didn't manage to draw a single flag on the Pats interior OLine.

If he were to read that quote today, he's probably pause, chuckle, and then go back to wiping away the potato chip crumbs from his chin with his $100 bills.

You make a good point there.

Eh...Oj didn't get the number of carries early in his career that he got a little later on, perhaps for a reason...I am not old enough to have been alive then. As for Bruce he had 15 sacks in '86. I get what you meant in that Bruce had a crappy rookie year when he came in over weight and had some issues. He turned that around immediately. I don't know that Dareus is going to do that. I am hopeful though.

Don't get me wrong I would trade him for AJ, Julio, Watt, etc... All that I was saying is that he is 22 or 23 and just played his best game IMO. That is a good thing. There is no reason to cry over spilled milk; he is the guy we drafted. Let's hope that he continues to develop into a really good player.

I agree. I just think if he was going to be a very good player, he'd already be a very good player. And he's not. At least not consistently.

I agree. I just think if he was going to be a very good player, he'd already be a very good player. And he's not. At least not consistently.

I think that Gerald McCoy just went through that. He wasn't great early and then a pro bowler in year 3 (I think 3). You have to remember that Dareus was youn when he came out. He is still only 22 or 23. This is a big year for h but it is way too early to write him off. I thought that he played his best game the other day and it was his 1st of year three. He has shown flashes for a while but maybe he can get it together consistently. I am no saying that he will but I am certainly not saying that he won't.