Dareus' chance for revenge on Carolina this Sunday

Jerry Jabber

I guess I'm in the minority here...I really do like the kid for the record; his play, to me, looks lethargic most of the time. Admittedly, I don't have game rewind and can't focus on him as much as I'd like, so I may be missing things that you guys are seeing. He just appears so out of shape in comparison to his college days, and just doesn't seem to explode off the snap like he did at 'Bama.

I hope I'm wrong, but to me he's underwhelming.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great players show up great. They don't grow into it. While Dareus is not a bust, he's the guy we took instead of 4 great players taken after him.

Those who are satisfied with that defense amaze me. It might be better than last year, but it still was far worse than average.

Does anyone ever think just for one second, that maybe those other players wouldn't necessarily be so 'great' if a different team had drafted them? People think all players' skillsets translate exactly the same from one team to another. Usually they don't. It's too easy to just sit back and say oh we took him and look at the great guys we could've had taken after him. Some misses are obvious (Maybin) but with Dareus we got a solid player who should become much better. We also changed staffs and schemes. Not making excuses for him, but stop with the second guessing here. Give it some more time

Wilfork looks even more out of shape than usual...still hard to move though...

i hope this is the come to Jesus game for this defense and this young team...a win makes me think something is possible this year...a loss and I'm thinking we are a year away (which is probably more realistic). Go Bills!!!!!

This is the way I feel about the Carolina game. The Bills have been hurt badly by mobile QBs over the years. Will Newton make them look silly after being ineffective last week?

I really think this could be a foundational game for them, coming after the near miss against the Pats. A test of character, talent, and coaching against a tough defense but a beatable team. Are they pointing up or down?

His best game as a pro was the "home" game against the Skins in his rookie year. He was ineffective last year, and nothing special on Sunday. I was a big fan of his coming out of college, but he should be getting better, not worse.

And the fact that Kyle Williams is a shadow of his former self doesn't help either. This vaunted D-line of ours is a mirage and, along with the LBs, the biggest reason why this team sucked last year. Not Fitz, not a lack of CJ, not ****-for-brains McKelvin. I hope Pettine can turn things around but that remains to be seen.

His best game as a pro was the "home" game against the Skins in his rookie year. He was ineffective last year, and nothing special on Sunday. I was a big fan of his coming out of college, but he should be getting better, not worse.

And the fact that Kyle Williams is a shadow of his former self doesn't help either. This vaunted D-line of ours is a mirage and, along with the LBs, the biggest reason why this team sucked last year. Not Fitz, not a lack of CJ, not ****-for-brains McKelvin. I hope Pettine can turn things around but that remains to be seen.

Agree with KW, but if you thought that MD was ineffective you watched a different game than I. Looked good live and when I watched Rewind.

I just think if he was going to be a very good player, he'd already be a very good player. And he's not. At least not consistently.

While I agree with you a bit on the consistency, I think it's unreasonable to expect a defensive tackle to be great right away. It usually takes 3-4 years for a DT to develop the instincts and technique needed to play at a pro bowl level. Also due to the nature of the position, much of his work on the field is clogging the middle and eating up double teams so his impact is not as obvious as guys like Watt and Miller.

Plus, as others have stated, he's only 23! I don't know about you but I am a lot more mature and productive now in my mid 20's than I was at 21/22.

Edited by cosmo

I agree 100% People are scared to admit that Kyle Williams hasn't been the same player since he started having problems with his heels, and Dareus could be a big disappointment. For all the money and draft picks the Bills invested to bolster their D-line, so far they've been getting short-changed.

I'm sure there are thousands of Carolina fans who remind their front office every day about the huge mistake they made when they passed on Dareus for Cam Newton. Bunch of naysayers.

Personally the jury is still out on Cam Newton.

As a quarterback taken first overall he'd better become a perennial Pro Bowler to justify his draft position.

Don't get me wrong I would trade him for AJ, Julio, Watt, etc... All that I was saying is that he is 22 or 23 and just played his best game IMO. That is a good thing.

Yeah I've posted this numerous times so I'm glad you brought it up. He turned 23 years old in March and it's not like every human being has the same rate of development. He just came off an excellent game to start his 3rd NFL season. I'll judge Marcell after this year.

Eh...Oj didn't get the number of carries early in his career that he got a little later on, perhaps for a reason...I am not old enough to have been alive then. As for Bruce he had 15 sacks in '86. I get what you meant in that Bruce had a crappy rookie year when he came in over weight and had some issues.

People tend to forget that Bruce had 6.5 sacks in 13 starts as a rookie. He also had 4 fumble recoveries and his talent was awesome.

I know he's not 100% healthy but if I'm gonna criticize anyone on the D-line, I'll criticize Mario.

This vaunted D-line of ours is a mirage and, along with the LBs, the biggest reason why this team sucked last year. Not Fitz, not a lack of CJ, not ****-for-brains McKelvin. I hope Pettine can turn things around but that remains to be seen.

A much bigger factor than the D-line or LBs in the Bills suckitude last year was Wanny.

If he were to read that quote today, he's probably pause, chuckle, and then go back to wiping away the potato chip crumbs from his chin with his $100 bills.

I'd laugh if what you said wasn't true

A much bigger factor than the D-line or LBs in the Bills suckitude last year was Wanny.

Huge yes

I think that Gerald McCoy just went through that. He wasn't great early and then a pro bowler in year 3 (I think 3). You have to remember that Dareus was youn when he came out. He is still only 22 or 23. This is a big year for h but it is way too early to write him off. I thought that he played his best game the other day and it was his 1st of year three. He has shown flashes for a while but maybe he can get it together consistently. I am no saying that he will but I am certainly not saying that he won't.

From living in Tampa, that is pretty much true. He was such a non factor in the first year and a half that I thought people were going to lose it. But he is Def the anchor of the defense now

BTW, interior D-line is a very difficult position to evaluate for pro scouts and a difficult position for young players to succeed in.

For every Haloti Ngata or Ndamokong Suh, there are many guys like Broderick Bunkley, Sedric Ellis, Amobi Okoye, Glen Dorsey, highly-drafted guys who become average players in the NFL.

To the discussion about 'Bama players underwhelming in the pros, here's an interesting blurb from PFT which did a quick and informal audit of which major college programs have produced the most NFLers:

http://profootballta...ne-nfl-rosters/

Via the NFL, Southern Cal led all Week One rosters with 40 former players. Next was LSU with 39, then Miami with 38.

Georgia had 36, and Florida State and Texas were knotted at 31. Alabama, which has become the ultimate NFL Minor League team in recent years, had only 30 NFL players as of Week One. That’s the same number as Cal and Tennessee. Oregon and Ohio State had 27, and Florida had 26.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

you managed to spell both names incorrectly, so I can understand why you left out plantars fasciitis from your post

Well maybe when they do something memorable I will put more effort into getting the right spelling. However you figured out who I meant.

Completely unwarranted post IMHO. Granted many of us are somewhat disappointed in Dareus' performance so far, but he's given no indication of intentionally slacking.

Read many of the threads here this week. Many apologists for many of the players this past Sunday. Newsflash! We lost and have been losing for what the last 13 years! Too many fans SETTLE for a couple good plays regardless of the outcome. Really need to demand more and start winning

I thought he played well also, particularly in the 2nd half.

If you do watch the game again, tell me if it was my imagination or was he getting held all day long. I remember being surprised he didn't manage to draw a single flag on the Pats interior OLine.

I did notice it. The thing that got me was the amount of hands they put on the guy, first and foremost. It often would be the OC getting on him with a double team from an OG. Dareus would push through and around the OC opposite the OG and often times have an RB come to meet him. There were many many times were 3 players were involved with blocking him. Pressure was solid all game. I noticed late in the game and often Brady had his head down frustrated and could not figure out why. Where I was standing it did not look as if Brady was getting pressured. All of their TD's were to my side of the field, as I was corner end zone.

IRT the holds...I saw grey area. I could have thrown a flag several times with some aggressive line play. Several times Dareus was held down and the best term would be abused. Abused in the sense that he would not be able to beat the constant hits he was taking by 3 blockers - who were hitting him high, low, and getting on his helmet. The guy played a hell of a game for having been dogged so much, there were many times he still got up to pursue the ball. The holds, he was held, no doubt about it...but, in many cases the holding that was done is what most OL do now-a-days.

Ngata - Beast right away. Suh - Beast right away. Pat Williams - Beast. Sapp - Beast. All I'm saying is the kid doesn't appear that he will be a game changer. He may end up being solid.

I guess it just sucks that there was 4 perennial game changers drafted after our guy. I'm not throwing dirt on the guy. But I think Buffalo should keep DT in the "need" category going into next year.

Great players show up great. They don't grow into it. While Dareus is not a bust, he's the guy we took instead of 4 great players taken after him.

Those who are satisfied with that defense amaze me. It might be better than last year, but it still was far worse than average.

Wouldn't say far worse than average. Also would call your first statement a bit ridiculous.

I guess I'm in the minority here...I really do like the kid for the record; his play, to me, looks lethargic most of the time. Admittedly, I don't have game rewind and can't focus on him as much as I'd like, so I may be missing things that you guys are seeing. He just appears so out of shape in comparison to his college days, and just doesn't seem to explode off the snap like he did at 'Bama.

I hope I'm wrong, but to me he's underwhelming.

Ill agree that it occassionally looks like he's running in sand. Sometimes those images hang with me and it is hard to give him credit without seeing a really athletic play. Problem is that really athletic plays both by nature of the body type and assignments just are more sporadic sometimes. My gut says similar to your take, my head says I'm likely a bit harsh.

Ngata - Beast right away. Suh - Beast right away. Pat Williams - Beast. Sapp - Beast. All I'm saying is the kid doesn't appear that he will be a game changer. He may end up being solid.

I guess it just sucks that there was 4 perennial game changers drafted after our guy. I'm not throwing dirt on the guy. But I think Buffalo should keep DT in the "need" category going into next year.

This is just stupid. FWIW, Cam Newton isn't as productive as those four. There are tons of great DT's that didn't blossom as rooks. I thought he played fast and disruptive last week. Save the venom for later in the year.

Edited by Green Lightning

If he were to read that quote today, he's probably pause, chuckle, and then go back to wiping away the potato chip crumbs from his chin with his $100 bills.

This got a good laugh out of me.

At this point, I think we all know he hasn't panned out to be the game changer he should have been for the pick... but hopefully he can still be a solid DT.

This is just stupid. FWIW, Cam Newton isn't as productive as those four. There are tons of great DT's that didn't blossom as rooks. I thought he played fast and disruptive last week. Save the venom for later in the year.

Name 1. Great players show up great.

What I'm saying is: he is what he will be. At times disruptive, but inconsistent and ultimately good at best. I just don't expect him to grow into something he's clearly not.

Edited by JPS