Is Sully no longer on GR?

bbb

I wonder if the new Bills-friendly Mike Schopp has no need for a curmudgeon?

PTR

I can't believe anyone would have a need for Sully period. Except Bucky I guess. Now they can try and outblowhard each other on tv now. A show I will never, ever, ever watch.

I watched the Bucky & Sully show. It was bad.

They both "staged" abusing one another on topics & "staged" being smart alec's.

It was kind of a controversial talk show set up - like "Pardon the Interruption".

Sully is a knob...and Bob Kuchinski (sp?), was only there to shut them up for commercial breaks.

Not worth the watch!

You can see podcasts of their new Friday and Monday shows on the Buffalo News website. (a) Sully is the best sports opinion writer in Buffalo. (b) He tells it like it is, not how the Bills and Sabres apologizers want it to be.

(a) That's like being the tallest midget.

(b) Not even close to the truth. Sully massages the truth to fit his agenda, which is usually generating outrage. He also contradicts his own columns, again, when it suits his agenda.

But I do agree he can write. He is capable of writing good columns. It's just easier sometimes to poke people with a stick.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

(a) That's like being the tallest midget.

(b) Not even close to the truth. Sully massages the truth to fit his agenda, which is usually generating outrage. He also contradicts his own columns, again, when it suits his agenda.

But I do agree he can write. He is capable of writing good columns. It's just easier (and more apt to sell newspapers) sometimes to poke people with a stick.

PTR

Agreed.

Sully takes the same approach as the 'Fire! in the Theater' posters here at TSW. The more outrageous the position, the more eyeballs, click-throughs, rebuttals it draws.

The lowest common denominator appeal that draws attention for a few days, but doesn't shed much light on anything....

There's a big difference between telling it like it is and always searching for the negative angle. D-bag Jerry always searches for the negative angle, no matter what.

You can see podcasts of their new Friday and Monday shows on the Buffalo News website. Sully is the best sports opinion writer in Buffalo. He tells it like it is, not how the Bills and Sabres apologizers want it to be.

There's a big difference between telling it like it is and always searching for the negative angle. D-bag Jerry always searches for the negative angle, no matter what.

Yup. like I've said before, he can be writing a column about the Winter Olympics, and somehow get a dig in on the Bills.

Sully massages the truth to fit his agenda, which is usually generating outrage. He also contradicts his own columns, again, when it suits his agenda.

This is my central issue with him in a nutshell. He is always looking backwards, using stats or nebulous generalizations to support his outrage with what has occurred. Don't know that he has ever stuck his neck out there in a column. I won't miss him.

I've been around Jerry a few times at the Wellington Pub and the guy is just a bloviator. I believe his attitude is that he possesses the ability to think at a higher level than most. He lives in a city that has been declining economically and he commentates on sports teams that have had little success. The problem with him is he's attached all that to him being right. I fully understand that he capitalized on the teams he covers demise and decided to find success being hated. He believes he's being honest and just telling it like it is but. He's been quoted as saying “That people would think I was from here, that I would understand the way this town thinks, is really important to me because it’s important to the people here. They want you not necessarily to like them, but to get them.” Well that's just it, he's not from Buffalo and the folks that don't enjoy him feel that. He doesn't love the Bills or the Sabres or the City for that matter. He thinks he's figured out how to be like Buffalonians. The fact is he hasn't at all because he's missing the most important part. We've all criticized our home city our home teams, but it's the love that keeps us rooting. Sorry Jerry but that's one thing you can't fake.

Name the objective positives to write about the Bills between 2001 and 2012.

He is a good writer.............Too bad somebody gave him a sour grape about 30 years ago

Disagree about him being a good writer.

Sully literally couldn't write his way out of a paper bag, even if he were given an X-acto knife instead of a pen.

JMO.

Sully is the best sports opinion writer in Buffalo. He tells it like it is, not how the Bills and Sabres apologizers want it to be.

As far as I know he's the only sports opinion writer in Buffalo.

Disagree about him being a good writer.

Sully literally couldn't write his way out of a paper bag, even if he were given an X-acto knife instead of a pen.

JMO.

Not just your opinion. I'm not a big fan of trite analogies or poorly written, wandering non sequiturs, either. There were a few pieces in the early summer that didn't have a by-line on them (at least not that I saw) that reeked of his M.O. and were such mailed-in tripe that I would expect a fifth grade English teacher would have failed any student that turned in assignments of that standard (or lack thereof). After reading a paragraph or two, I started looking around the article and found his e-mail address attached to the bottom. It was for verification before I closed the webpage, as otherwise his fingerprints were all over it. While the vitriol has been there as long as I can recall, I don't always remember the writing style being so lazy. That seems more recent, and is probably a good indication of what he think of his job and his readers.

I've been around Jerry a few times at the Wellington Pub and the guy is just a bloviator. I believe his attitude is that he possesses the ability to think at a higher level than most.... He's been quoted as saying “That people would think I was from here, that I would understand the way this town thinks, is really important to me because it’s important to the people here. They want you not necessarily to like them, but to get them.” Well that's just it, he's not from Buffalo and the folks that don't enjoy him feel that. He doesn't love the Bills or the Sabres or the City for that matter. He thinks he's figured out how to be like Buffalonians. The fact is he hasn't at all because he's missing the most important part. We've all criticized our home city our home teams, but it's the love that keeps us rooting. Sorry Jerry but that's one thing you can't fake.

I think this summarizes what I find so annoying about him. Whether intended or not, he's pretty transparent about the fact that he looks down on his surroundings and believes that he's above them. I think he's also being generous in his self-perceived level of intelligence, which also comes across in his writing. I think he's probably being pretty honest in terms of his outlook in general, though. I remember hearing a morning show segment that I believe Shredd and Ragan did with him back when I lived in Buffalo, which would have been 2004 or earlier. It was in the middle of summer, and there wasn't much sports to talk about, and he was ripping apart his son's little league baseball team as though they were the Bills of the last decade. It was clearly supposed to be a joke, but I couldn't help but wonder if he was dumb enough to believe that 10 and 11 year old kids (who were home for the summer and might be listening to their friend's dad on the radio) would get the joke, or if he was just that miserable.

Not just your opinion. I'm not a big fan of trite analogies or poorly written, wandering non sequiturs, either. There were a few pieces in the early summer that didn't have a by-line on them (at least not that I saw) that reeked of his M.O. and were such mailed-in tripe that I would expect a fifth grade English teacher would have failed any student that turned in assignments of that standard (or lack thereof). After reading a paragraph or two, I started looking around the article and found his e-mail address attached to the bottom. It was for verification before I closed the webpage, as otherwise his fingerprints were all over it. While the vitriol has been there as long as I can recall, I don't always remember the writing style being so lazy. That seems more recent, and is probably a good indication of what he think of his job and his readers.

Actually, I really hadn't thought about that. I said he was a good writer really based on really old articles he wrote. (Talley plugging in, the 1999 Stanley Cup run - it's not life and death, but it is life). I really haven't read anything by him lately that's all that great.

I guess I compare him to Bucky, who when I read his articles, I usually end up having more questions than answers - after I read it.

And, yeah - I think he is that miserable.

Did we ever confirm if he's done on the radio or not? I love listening to Sully. I always thought he was pretty spot-on. (Even on the Fitzpatrick extension because I don't believe you pay a starter like a backup and expect results.)

No, I asked the question, and I thought somebody might know the answer. I can't say I love listening to him, but at 5PM on Monday, it's a good time to listen - since they will then talk about a variety of topics, instead of droning on with callers about the same topic for a whole hour.

I just know that he wasn't on at 5PM on Friday (they had a roundtable with three people - LOL) nor at 5PM Monday.........And, it seemed to me I've been tuning in lately on Monday at 5 and he hasn't been there, but I figured he was on vacation or something.

I wonder if the little shindig that was put on by Tim Graham & John Wawrow at the same time as The WGR / Bills thing pissed off WGR to the point they severed the relationship with TBN

That would be a bit of "cutting-off-ones-nose". Yeah, I'm sure WGR was plenty pissed at JW & TG, but neither are 'GR regulars anyway. I doubt they would take things out on Sully. If anything Jerry is probably channeling his inner Jairus Byrd and holding out for more money.

Speaking of the Swannie House soiree, why have I not read a single post on it after the event, other than a "thank you" from John? I would think that, like everything on this board, it would be discussed, dissected and analyzed to death.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That would be a bit of "cutting-off-ones-nose". Yeah, I'm sure WGR was plenty pissed at JW & TG, but neither are 'GR regulars anyway. I doubt they would take things out on Sully. If anything Jerry is probably channeling his inner Jairus Byrd and holding out for more money.

Speaking of the Swannie House soiree, why have I not read a single post on it after the event, other than a "thank you" from John? I would think that, like everything on this board, it would be discussed, dissected and analyzed to death.

PTR

This is what I was asking, too...........I saw some vague mentions, either here or on twitter, about thunder and lightning. Nothing that really said anything about it...........Nor about the GR one.

TG and JW didn't have their own shows on GR, like Sully, but they did seem to be regular guests. Which is why, at the time I asked JW why they would intentionally piss them off..........And got berated by JohnF for being an idiot who doesn't want a free thing vs. a $25 thing. I wasn't going to go to either, anyway.........Just seemed unnecessarily confrontational with somebody you have a relationship with.

This is what I was asking, too...........I saw some vague mentions, either here or on twitter, about thunder and lightning. Nothing that really said anything about it...........Nor about the GR one.

TG and JW didn't have their own shows on GR, like Sully, but they did seem to be regular guests. Which is why, at the time I asked JW why they would intentionally piss them off..........And got berated by JohnF for being an idiot who doesn't want a free thing vs. a $25 thing. I wasn't going to go to either, anyway.........Just seemed unnecessarily confrontational with somebody you have a relationship with.

Sounds bizarre. As much as I wanted to be at the Swannie House I did have a hunch that it had the potential to be a combustible evening.

PTR

Name the objective positives to write about the Bills between 2001 and 2012.

Sullivan has been a Bills/OBD skeptic for the past 13 years. That has made him overwhelmingly right. I simply do not understand the hatred for him on this board.