Let's give Stevie Johnson some negative attention

davspo

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody chokes like the Buffalo Bills. Johnson needs to make those catches, poorly thorwn or not. A HS WR would have caught it.

This is what is so maddening about him! He has the ability and at times he is great and then you get the Pitts game and today...

As a vet and our #1 he has to make that play today

He chokes. Lots of players can make big plays when the game isn't on the line. When it's on the line, Steve chokes.

See my post about Chandler, he missed a catch that hit him in the hands... why dont we see a thread on him?

Feel free to start one. I'll contribute.

Chandler had 3 penalties for 20 yds all by his lonesome - 2 false starts and an illegal block that called back a nice reception.

Were any of them at critical moments? mmm arguably. Spiller had the 1st down, on 2nd and 11 Goodwin fumbled, resulting in COP and a NE TD.

Not a good day for Chandler.

Look, no one can pin a loss on any one guy in a team sport. That's what I always tell my kid when she comes out down, her team lost because she missed her FTs.

A player can be in a position to be clutch and win the game, but when you come to "coulda shoulda" there's always plenty to go around the team.

My only point about Stevie is that he's been getting slack for years 'cuz he had Fitz throwing to him. Now he's arguably got a quality QB throwing to him, and it's 100% on him if he wants to step up his game and make those catches on poor throws where he has to jump, dive, one-hand it, go back, or adjust. He can stay where he is, which is a good but inconsistent receiver with an amazing gift for getting open, but not enough clutch ability to haul in everything thrown near him to be considered elite.

Or he can button up, buckle down, and work to improve. Dollars to donuts part of his attention was thinking about how to juke the nearby defender and get the TD. Gotta catch it first.

well said.

He should have caught it. Yes. Did it cost is the game? Yes. But he also had a very nice TD and there were plenty of other mistakes by other players that could have won the game for us as well.

At the end of the day, you've gotta catch that ball, but I'm not going to lynch him because of it.

the difference is that with all those other mistakes we were at a point where if we convert a 3rd down, we most likely win. We went to SJ and he cant make a 5 yard catch when It matters. He isn't clutch and this is another example. his early TD was great, but I want a guy who makes a bunch of great catches in a day, not 3 slants and a game losing drop at the end. Norwood wasn't the only reason we lost SB25 but clutch is clutch and a choke is a choke. Edited by enlightener

Nice thread. Maybe we can rehash this 2-40 more times.

Maybe go start a Chandler thread, since he's a vet and had a coslty drop and a penalty?

Well sure, lets not provide any criticism at all of the highest paid wide receiver on the team, who has a disturbing habit of dropping passes at the worst time. If memory serves me right, this is not the first pass he has dropped in a critical situation. But god forbid, lets not "rehash" it. Because this board is only here for the purpose of praising these players, not for criticizing them. After all they only play this game for the love of it, and should never be called out for mistakes, no matter how many times they happen.

If SJ would just produce at critical times and shut his fu$$ing mouth he would get less critique, but over the years come crunch time he has either critical drops or penalties and continues to run his piehole, and then morons defend him. Shutup or put up Steve Johnson, by the way Stevie makes him sound like hes' a ten year old, even if he acts like one.

Yep yep yep

It's nice to have a veteran presence like good old Stevie Johnson, who drops yet another critical ball in a clutch situation. Hey Stevie, instead of running your mouth, how about helping your rookie QB, and your team, by catching a routine, 4 yard pass.

That is what Hines Ward, Troy Brown give for their young QBs. Sadly Stevie is not even in the same league. Look to see Woods get more passes thrown towards him next week.

Edited by ganesh

I just read that Johnson left the stadium before reporters were allowed in. To me, that is a problem. The best players in the league, the best leaders in the league take fire for their teammates, answer questions, and take leadership publicly.. I could not care less about his antics, but to me, that's an issue.

I just read that Johnson left the stadium before reporters were allowed in. To me, that is a problem. The best players in the league, the best leaders in the league take fire for their teammates, answer questions, and take leadership publicly.. I could not care less about his antics, but to me, that's an issue.

I agree with you. If that did in fact take place, it's a problem. Face the music like a man and a veteran "leader" on the team

Cut the guy a break on this until/unless it's a habit. If he knows he's emotionally on edge and might say something stupid and cause controversy instead of being able to be professional, he did the right thing to get gone.

Yeah let's bash Stevie alone on this one, it's ALL on him. We've had 1 semi consistent player over the last couple of years, who by the way seems to actually enjoy playing in Buffalo, and there is a select few who can't wait to run him out of town because they don't agree with him having fun. What about the really nice TD grab he had? Lets forget about that.

Yes, he is partially to blame for the loss. But what about Spiller who was garbage today or Chandler who couldn't stop causing penalties early on? Do they get a pass because they act how you deem to be appropriate?

Stupid and ridiculous.

Nobody gets a pass in my book. All of the people that you mentioned hurt the team on Sunday, without a doubt. However, having said that, it was a huge drop on a ball that hit him squarely in his hands and could have helped the Bills put the game away. Over the course of a game, some plays stand out as more significant than others. It was a great catch for the TD, again, no disputing that. However the fact remains that if Stevie catches that ball on third down, the Bills probably win the game. He didn't and they didn't.

Cut the guy a break on this until/unless it's a habit. If he knows he's emotionally on edge and might say something stupid and cause controversy instead of being able to be professional, he did the right thing to get gone.

But that's exactly the point. Being a leader isn't sticking around when you just had 8 catches for 140 yds and two TD's in a blowout win. Being a leader is checking yourself, manning up, and being an example to the younger guys when you had a game like this.

Stevie's tweet- Keep calm, we are good-

Really?

The facts:

0-1

0-1n the division

loss in division home game

Better tweet for Stevie

"made critial errors yesterday, we all did- including me. Promise to work to get better, please keep the faith"

Oh yeah- I fogot one stat:

3 catchs for 39 yards- how could we possibly live without those numbers.

Did he really leave without talking to reporters?? Real leader, very mature- I'm glad the young guys are learning from him. That has to mark the only time this guy has kept his mouth shut.

This should be interesting:

@TBNSully

The Bills will make Stevie Johnson available to the media in about 10 minutes.

@buffalobills

.@StevieJohnson13 on drop in 4th Q: "It was tougher than what it looked" used his length to get to the ball but body control was difficult.

@buffalobills

.@StevieJohnson13: "I feel like there's no one who can guard me, but when you don't win you deserve (criticism)"

@buffalobills

.@StevieJohnson13: "After looking at that film, I'm excited to be a part of this team. We have something special"

@buffalobills

.@StevieJohnson13: "I'll never grow accustomed to losing games."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz