Let's give Stevie Johnson some negative attention

davspo

Stevie Johnson just concluded a hastily arranged eight-minute press conference with the media at One Bills Drive. He took the blame for his crucial drop, but cut himself some slack by saying the catch wasn't as simple as it appeared to the naked eye.

"I feel like it was harder than what it was," he said. He explained he shook his man and came wide open, but had to reach for the football and it bounced off his hands. "It was tougher than it was."

Stevie's explanation was reminiscent of two years ago, when he dropped a pass deep in Jets territory late in a 28-24 defeat. After that loss, he deflected some of the blame to quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, saying Fitz's pass, which was perfectly on line, came at him too soon out of his break.

Stevie said he wasn't surprised by the negative reaction to Sunday's drop, particularly after his assertion last week that no one on the Patriots could cover him.

"The reaction is as expected," Johnson said. "Everybody is placing blame on me. It's OK. I put myself in that positon. ... When you don't win a game, at the end of the day, that's when you get that negative attention, and I deserve it."

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie Johnson just concluded a hastily arranged eight-minute press conference with the media at One Bills Drive. He took the blame for his crucial drop, but cut himself some slack by saying the catch wasn't as simple as it appeared to the naked eye.

"I feel like it was harder than what it was," he said. He explained he shook his man and came wide open, but had to reach for the football and it bounced off his hands. "It was tougher than it was."

Stevie's explanation was reminiscent of two years ago, when he dropped a pass deep in Jets territory late in a 28-24 defeat. After that loss, he deflected some of the blame to quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, saying Fitz's pass, which was perfectly on line, came at him too soon out of his break.

Stevie said he wasn't surprised by the negative reaction to Sunday's drop, particularly after his assertion last week that no one on the Patriots could cover him.

"The reaction is as expected," Johnson said. "Everybody is placing blame on me. It's OK. I put myself in that positon. ... When you don't win a game, at the end of the day, that's when you get that negative attention, and I deserve it."

Yeah but Chandler dropped the ball.

Yeah but Chandler dropped the ball.

You should just put it in your sig...

Everything is Stevie's fault. He can do no good. I don't like him. I will take every chance I can to bash him. It doesn't matter what else happened in the game I will look for an instance that Stevie screwed up and place the entire fault on him.

The regulars already know this but it would help the new people out. You are beyond rational when it comes to him...

For anyone that says that was a poorly thrown ball, the ball hit him in the hands in the direction he was going. He actually caught the ball for a second and then dropped it. He came up like a chump...like he has so many times before. As some other have pointed out, look across the field and see what the NE receivers were doing to keep drives alive. It just makes you shake your head!

Everything is Stevie's fault. He can do no good. I don't like him. I will take every chance I can to bash him. It doesn't matter what else happened in the game I will look for an instance that Stevie screwed up and place the entire fault on him.

The regulars already know this but it would help the new people out. You are beyond rational when it comes to him...

Yeah, this one's a big stretch.

Seriously, take the blinders off. The guy talks a big game, doesn't play one.

No? Nothing else to add? Just going to keep apologizing for the guy every time he does something stupid? Just going to continue insinuating it's my fault every time he does something stupid?

At least this waltz of the dumbtards is predictable.

Yeah, this one's a big stretch.

Seriously, take the blinders off. The guy talks a big game, doesn't play one.

Chandler has been pointed out.

Turnovers have been pointed out.

Penalties have been pointed out.

The failure to get a stop on multiple third downs during the last drive.

Yes though you are correct 1 drop with more than 5 minutes to go in the game was the end all be all game losing play.

Get a grip.

For anyone that says that was a poorly thrown ball, the ball hit him in the hands in the direction he was going. He actually caught the ball for a second and then dropped it. He came up like a chump...like he has so many times before. As some other have pointed out, look across the field and see what the NE receivers were doing to keep drives alive. It just makes you shake your head!

When he chucked his man, he game him a real good chuck. It actually looked like he should have been flagged for it.

Therefore, I think there's some legitimacy to the excuse. When you are trying to get back up to speed after giving a full chuck to a DB and the ball's moving faster than you are then it's not necessarily an "easy" catch. The physics might have been working against him there.

Now, having said all that...at some point and time this season, Stevie Johnson (and CJ Spiller) must be expected to consistently be giving this team great performances. I think that Stevie Johnson has top five NFL receiver potential. The Bills look to finally have the QB that can propel Stevie Johnson to the upper tier. Become this era's Andre Reed, but even better. I'm not going to get on him for that drop, but I think that he needs to know what the expectations are for him this year.

No? Nothing else to add? Just going to keep apologizing for the guy every time he does something stupid? Just going to continue insinuating it's my fault every time he does something stupid?

At least this waltz of the dumbtards is predictable.

Lol what did you give me 5 minutes to respond? I'm not apologizing for him. That's a play he should make. However it wasn't the only play the Bills should have made and didn't. It wasn't "the play that cost them the game."

You're right though every player should be perfect and never screw up/make a mistake. Unless you're anyone that isn't named Stevie, then your mistakes are forgiveable. It doesn't matter if you dropped a ball too and had multiple drive killing penalties - it's Stevie's fault! Doesn't matter if you fumbled - it's Stevie's fault!

Chandler has been pointed out.

Turnovers have been pointed out.

Penalties have been pointed out.

The failure to get a stop on multiple third downs during the last drive.

Yes though you are correct 1 drop with more than 5 minutes to go in the game was the end all be all game losing play.

Get a grip.

I haven't once insinuated that the drop was the sole purpose for the loss. Not once. In fact, in a poll I STARTED, I don't even rank it among the top three.

Again, if you spent some time taking an objective view of the guy, rather than making up nonsense to argue with me about whether or not he's a bozo, you'd see that he is--in fact--a bozo. It aint about me.

Lol what did you give me 5 minutes to respond? I'm not apologizing for him. That's a play he should make. However it wasn't the only play the Bills should have made and didn't. It wasn't "the play that cost them the game."

You're right though every player should be perfect and never screw up/make a mistake. Unless you're anyone that isn't named Stevie, then your mistakes are forgiveable. It doesn't matter if you dropped a ball too and had multiple drive killing penalties - it's Stevie's fault! Doesn't matter if you fumbled - it's Stevie's fault!

That game was the very definition of "death by a thousand cuts". On the imaginary impactful meter, if the Pitt drop was a "10", then yesterday's drop was a "3".

I haven't once insinuated that the drop was the sole purpose for the loss. Not once. In fact, in a poll I STARTED, I don't even rank it among the top three.

Again, if you spent some time taking an objective view of the guy, rather than making up nonsense to argue with me about whether or not he's a bozo, you'd see that he is--in fact--a bozo. It aint about me.

Lol the poll you started where it is listed as the #4 option glad you were able to keep it out of your top 3.

I don't see him as a bozo. I see him as a player on the Bills that I like to root for. I don't care what gets said off the field. I don't care what shirt he wears. I care that he loves being a Bill and playing for Buffalo. I care that he gives it his all and doesn't dog it on the field.

Please don't, in a thread where multiple posters point out how irrational you are towards him, lecture me to be objective. Every time I see a thread I like to count how many posts it makes it before you chime in. You're there without fail with something negative to say.

You're so objective on so many other topics it seems Stevie takes the brunt of all your anger at the Bills... He is your red headed step child.

Stevie makes hits mistakes more glaring is that he calls attention to himself. If he was a quiet guy like Marvin Harrison was, he would not get as much heat as he does. Being a media darling has its upside but the downside is not too much fun.

Stevie makes hits mistakes more glaring is that he calls attention to himself. If he was a quiet guy like Marvin Harrison was, he would not get as much heat as he does. Being a media darling has its upside but the downside is not too much fun.

I know! Marvin Harrison shot someone and still gets trotted out as an example of how to play the game the right way!

Lol the poll you started where it is listed as the #4 option glad you were able to keep it out of your top 3.

I don't see him as a bozo. I see him as a player on the Bills that I like to root for. I don't care what gets said off the field. I don't care what shirt he wears. I care that he loves being a Bill and playing for Buffalo. I care that he gives it his all and doesn't dog it on the field.

Please don't, in a thread where multiple posters point out how irrational you are towards him, lecture me to be objective. Every time I see a thread I like to count how many posts it makes it before you chime in. You're there without fail with something negative to say.

You're so objective on so many other topics it seems Stevie takes the brunt of all your anger at the Bills... He is your red headed step child.

Right, because I'm the only person saying these things. Get a clue, man. I understand that makes your crusade easier, but there is a growing number of Bills fans who are fed up with his **** for the same reasons I am. Fact.

Also: the order I listed causes is completely irrelevant.