So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the Byrd will fly, but I do think he will flip us the Byrd. Its too bad, once again sour grapes for lots of Bills fans liked him. I dont see him playing this week, but probably next week to start his trade baiting.

who is going to want to pay this whiney baby the money he wants when he hasn't proven anything? not to mention he has the foot problem. he's just trying to get paid before other teams see how bad his foot really is. otherwise stfu and earn your contract

Would be nice if Jairus or his agent make a statement to clarify the position.

Is he prepared to play through the pain for the team that is paying him $400k+ every match day.

Your wish is apparently Eugene Parker's command.

Edit: not that it means anything to the careful listener

I would be shocked if he played on sunday, all that Im hoping for now is to get something good for him in a trade

We do realize that Byrd can't negotiate a new contract until next off season?

And the team that trades for him, has no guarantee they will be able to negotiate a contract they can live with.

So they could essentially be out a draft pick or whatever they trade, for a 1 yr deal.

Teams lining up saying "where do I sign?"

Edited by Hopeful

If the Bills do detect an attitude problem or any kind of refusal to play, the right move would be a suspension w/o pay.

would NEVER happen. the NFLPA would be all over that. Byrd is injured, he has Plantar faciitis. you can NOT suspend a player for being injured. plantar faciitis is the perfect injury to claim hurts more than it does, if you are so inclined.

I have no inside info either, but I would say if the "trade me" rumor is true, and if Parker/Byrd feel that the Bills are working on that in good faith, then I think he plays. Otherwise it is just another round in the ongoing pissing contest and Byrd sits because quite frankly, that's the only leverage he has.

So of he plays its to get traded and if he doesn't its to get traded....

As the nfl.com article posted in the other Byrd thread makes clear, the window on any kind of trade is essentially closed now. Few teams can afford to pick up Byrd's contract, and Byrd's trade value to the Bills has bottomed out while he's recovering. This being the case, I think Byrd and Parker know that the most direct route to their goal (long term contract with SOMEBODY) is to play and play well. If there's any hope of a trade this year, Byrd will have to showcase himself on the field. He'll be on the field as soon as he thinks he can play well. Any delays in playing would be either due to how his feet feel, or due to not feeling comfortable yet with Pettine's system.

Would be nice if Jairus or his agent make a statement to clarify the position.

Is he prepared to play through the pain for the team that is paying him $400k+ every match day.

Byrd would be nuts to play through pain if it could hinder his healing process. He will get his 6.9 mill whether he plays or sits in the whirlpool. I would sit in the whirlpool. Especially after they slapped the franchise tag on me. I'd look at it like o.k. you made me stay here now Ralph can pay me 6.9 mill to sit back and watch. That being said Byrd should make sure he is 100% healthy before he goes out on the field if that's what he wants to do. He only has a one year contract. If he gets injured badly, what leverage will he have to sign a big contract? He has to stay healthy if he wants another team to give him a good contract. If I was Byrd I would milk that foot injury until I was either traded or the season ended. I would not risk playing and getting injured in a meaningless season. He owes the Bills nothing. Byrd was the most underpaid safety in the league while he was in Buffalo, now it's time to cash in, so don't be foolish and risk a career ending injury and blow your chance for lucrative contract..

If the Bills do detect an attitude problem or any kind of refusal to play, the right move would be a suspension w/o pay.

You can't make him play if he is injured. You would be taking a chance of a HUGE, HUGE, law suit if the you played him against doctor's orders.

Wow. Too many Byrd threads (especially on that other bbmb). I'll just make one post. I love jarius Byrd as a football player. I had hoped we'd make him the highest paid safety and moved on. Apparently obd doesn't feel the same about him. Sucks for me (and some other Byrd fans). As it stands, the situation is ugly. It doesn't look like he'll be a bill for much longer IMO. Best case scenario, he competes to the best of his abilities and helps our D become a formidable unit. Then we pay him. That's probably not going to happen.

Byrd is a competitor that wants to win football games. He's a competitor that wants to get paid what he's worth (considering he was a bargain for us for 4 years). We haven't been good for over a decade. He wants to be a part of a winning organization. If we're going to get a hometown price tag, we need to not suck. No reason to take less than what he thinks he's worth.....playing for a crappy team that loses every year. Sure, it would be nice if he just loooooved buffalo and wanted to be a bill for life, even if he has to take less money that what he feels he's worth... but that isn't always going to happen. Playing for a winning organization can really make a difference in an athletes life. He wants to win championships....or be the highest paid safety. I don't hate him or feel the need to bash him for it. I'd probably want the same. He's a great player and wanted to control his own destiny. The franchise tag prevented that. He's not happy about it. I don't blame him.

No more Byrd threads please

I would be shocked if he played on sunday, all that Im hoping for now is to get something good for him in a trade

Probably would get 4th round pick for Byrd, maybe even a third rounder if a team has an injury at safety. Otherwise the other team would just wait until the season ends and sign him as free agent without giving up anything.

Wow. Too many Byrd threads (especially on that other bbmb). I'll just make one post. I love jarius Byrd as a football player. I had hoped we'd make him the highest paid safety and moved on. Apparently obd doesn't feel the same about him. Sucks for me (and some other Byrd fans). As it stands, the situation is ugly. It doesn't look like he'll be a bill for much longer IMO. Best case scenario, he competes to the best of his abilities and helps our D become a formidable unit. Then we pay him. That's probably not going to happen.

Byrd is a competitor that wants to win football games. He's a competitor that wants to get paid what he's worth (considering he was a bargain for us for 4 years). We haven't been good for over a decade. He wants to be a part of a winning organization. If we're going to get a hometown price tag, we need to not suck. No reason to take less than what he thinks he's worth.....playing for a crappy team that loses every year. Sure, it would be nice if he just loooooved buffalo and wanted to be a bill for life, even if he has to take less money that what he feels he's worth... but that isn't always going to happen. Playing for a winning organization can really make a difference in an athletes life. He wants to win championships....or be the highest paid safety. I don't hate him or feel the need to bash him for it. I'd probably want the same. He's a great player and wanted to control his own destiny. The franchise tag prevented that. He's not happy about it. I don't blame him.

No more Byrd threads please

Great post. You got it right. It's a business. In a business you can't think with your heart, you have to think with your head.

Wow, I can't believe how hard Byrd is getting trashed on this board because of a bunch of bloated rumors and sports-media-talking-head hearsay. Did anyone on this board actually speak to Jairus himself about the contract situation? I'm guessing that would be "no" all around. I'm not going to comment on his attitude, desire, or anything else I know absolutely nothing about.

The only thing I really know is that Byrd is starting the season with the same injury he had 8 months ago. Technically I don't know that either, because I'm not in the locker room with him. But I trust the word of doctors more than that of sports journalists and bloggers.

For the record, I think he will play on Sunday, but not a lot. Plantar fasciaitis is awful stuff.