Bills one of 8 teams using GPS sensors

Beerball

Ok now lets get a laser system on the sidelines for measuring first downs instead of this stupid "hey lets tie a chain between two posts and have guys run out into the middle of the field to measure something that a sideline laser can do more accurately in one second"

Every time they stop a game and make millions (sometimes hundreds of millions) of people wait for this medieval measurement technique I laugh my ass off at how stupid it is.

And while I'm solving problems there should be an infrared one at each goal line that is constantly on. If the refs are unsure if the ball crossed the plane they can simply check the monitor and see if the ball was lit up. Sometimes it wont be possible to see because of bodies in the way (in which case we use the current replay guessing game) but it would certainly help give certain proof in many situations.

Now if could only develop a qb robot..............

Ok now lets get a laser system on the sidelines for measuring first downs instead of this stupid "hey lets tie a chain between two posts and have guys run out into the middle of the field to measure something that a sideline laser can do more accurately in one second"

Every time they stop a game and make millions (sometimes hundreds of millions) of people wait for this medieval measurement technique I laugh my ass off at how stupid it is.

And while I'm solving problems there should be an infrared one at each goal line that is constantly on. If the refs are unsure if the ball crossed the plane they can simply check the monitor and see if the ball was lit up. Sometimes it wont be possible to see because of bodies in the way (in which case we use the current replay guessing game) but it would certainly help give certain proof in many situations.

+1 I say the same thing to whoever is lucky enough to watch the game with me.

Yep. There's absolutely no reason why they can't embed a positioning chip inside the ball, either .

This is my biggest point of contention with the NFL. You're a multi billion dollar operation with millions bet each game and you have a 70 year old ref "EYE UP" how far he thinks the ball advanced, then he runs in a "straight" line to spot the ball and then you bring out a chain and two sticks to measure it. my favorite is when it's short by an inch. like that ref could spot the ball 5 different ways as he runs from the sideline to the spot. It's ridiculous.

This is my biggest point of contention with the NFL. You're a multi billion dollar operation with millions bet each game and you have a 70 year old ref "EYE UP" how far he thinks the ball advanced, then he runs in a "straight" line to spot the ball and then you bring out a chain and two sticks to measure it. my favorite is when it's short by an inch. like that ref could spot the ball 5 different ways as he runs from the sideline to the spot. It's ridiculous.

You would think there is some technology that could improve upon this. It is not only ridiculous it has to be archaic.

Yep. There's absolutely no reason why they can't embed a positioning chip inside the ball, either .

Tracking is why. You'd have to put so many sensors in the ground to keep track that there is no way to get the accuracy down to a point of no error. I used to install tracking systems at retirement homes so they could locate Alzheimer/Dementia patients and even putting sensors in every 20 feet there was a margin of error of 10 feet.

Considering that they have been using these chips for Running now for over a decade.

That's what I was thinking...nowadays they're the size of a twist-tie.

Tracking is why. You'd have to put so many sensors in the ground to keep track that there is no way to get the accuracy down to a point of no error. I used to install tracking systems at retirement homes so they could locate Alzheimer/Dementia patients and even putting sensors in every 20 feet there was a margin of error of 10 feet.

See above.

Also, then dig up the fields and embed the same technology used during road races every 15 feet...

That's what I was thinking...nowadays they're the size of a twist-tie.

See above.

Also, then dig up the fields and embed the same technology used during road races every 15 feet...

I did see above. But having used the technology in real life situations, I know you will not get the pin point accuracy needed to know if the ball crossed the goal line, or first down, etc. You'll be able to tell if it's close, but not perfect. RFID is not GPS. And even GPS is not perfect.

I remember when Vinny Testaverde scored a touchdown with his helmet. The ball was a yard short of the goal line when he was down by contact. Dennis Erickson remembers it too... all too well in fact. Seahawks lost the game on a totally bogus call, and Erickson lost his job.

What's the matter Beerball? Can't figure out how to search for previous threads? Or did you want all the glory of finding a new article about the same subject?

http://forums.twobil...nting-analytics

http://forums.twobil...players-at-camp

LOL.

I was just about to do the:

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.

But I thought it might be taken the wrong way, and not as a joke.

Edited by microscopes

What really gets me about the 1st down chains is they bring the chains out and measure within +/- one link whether they got the first down or not. Mean while when they first set the sticks on 1st down, how do they know they weren't six inches off to start with. Why worry about an inch at the end when you have no idea where you started from. They may have only gone 9 1/2 yards to get the first, so why worry about an inch now.

As for QB robots, think Stepford wives! I've been promoting that for years!

Edited by Ed_Roch

What's the matter Beerball? Can't figure out how to search for previous threads? Or did you want all the glory of finding a new article about the same subject?

http://forums.twobil...nting-analytics

http://forums.twobil...players-at-camp

Oooooooooooooh !!!!!!

Mod on Mod crime !!!

Fight! Fight! (And maybe rip her bra off. And maybe kiss?)