Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

Just imagine if they could somehow finagle a 1st round pick for him.

And then we'd have two first round picks.

Which we could trade for the #1 pick, in order to draft Clowney, a/k/a the Return of Bruce Smith.

All thanks to Jarius Byrd and Eugene Parker.

Hey a guy can dream...

Clowney needs to attack lower off the snap. He will get stopped at the LOS in the NFL by Tackles who can get under him. No homo.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promo, the problem is that there is absolutely no chance that the Bills will franchise him next year with a 20 percent raise given his feelings about playing here and the amount of money involved. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

Absolutely NO possibility. You are talking out of your ass and it smells like it.

If Bills decide it is best way to deal with future holdouts and they have cap space (and they do) they might decide do it.

Just like some coaches some GMs are hard asses.

Your 19 million under (at present) number is incorrect.

He IS being paid Top Five Safety money

For every player you named who left (over a DECADE) we have signed , and kept, others.

We Have Spiller and Darius to extend coming up.

Spiller is signed through 2015. Dareus through 2014. Neither have any Pro Bowl or All-Pro selections yet, but apparently will merit new contracts down the road.

There isn't a soul on this board, who, if they were in Byrd's shoes, would be happy with a 1 year guarantee. Nor would they be happy with a one year deal when fellow and sometimes lesser talented players have 4 or 5 year contracts with plenty of guaranteed money. A guy like Goldson or Weddle have a minimum of 18-20M coming their way. Byrd has his 6.9M. If only people could place themselves in the players shoes, but apparently fandom overrides that ability.

Absolutely NO possibility. You are talking out of your ass and it smells like it.

If Bills decide it is best way to deal with future holdouts and they have cap space (and they do) they might decide do it.

Just like some coaches some GMs are hard asses.

I don't get the hostility. I'm happy to have a spirited debate, which I've had with many here over the past dozen plus years, but I'm not interested in exchanging insults with other Bills fans I don't know.

Anyway, we shall have a better idea of how this all plays out two months from now. I certainly don't see them spending $8.3 million next year to spite Parker, however.

Edited by dave mcbride

Spiller is signed through 2015. Dareus through 2014. Neither have any Pro Bowl or All-Pro selections yet, but apparently will merit new contracts down the road.

There isn't a soul on this board, who, if they were in Byrd's shoes, would be happy with a 1 year guarantee. Nor would they be happy with a one year deal when fellow and sometimes lesser talented players have 4 or 5 year contracts with plenty of guaranteed money. A guy like Goldson or Weddle have a minimum of 18-20M coming their way. Byrd has his 6.9M. If only people could place themselves in the players shoes, but apparently fandom overrides that ability.

Byrd was offered a longer contract and decided to go for the 1 year deal. It was his choice and ultimately his gamble to play against the side with all the leverage. He should have no reason to be unhappy seeing other players getting longer deals.

People get so wound up in their emotions for these players.....who cares if YOU like him or not.......do you care if he likes you, because I got news for some of you, a lot of these players can't stand the jock-sniffing fans.

All that matters is that they are here to do a job.

Byrd is unhappy.........then he can just be unhappy.

If he wants to fake an injury(which I am still not convinced of) then it is a black mark on Eugene Parker and a few dollars lost for the Bills. Eugene Parker has an impeccable reputation as a negotiator......feigning an injury to get traded would be a black mark on that repuation and if that is the precedent he wants to set, then fine. Just eat the contract, pay Byrd for now.........bring a lawsuit against him or suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team......see TO in Philly years ago......... and just go about day to day business.

NO MORE TRADING MALCONTENTS

Moulds begged out and got traded

They let Clements have a no re-tag agreement if he signed his one year tender.........THE critical turning point for this team and handling their players

Takeo begged out and got traded so he could "win"

Willis begged out and got traded so he could get his new contract early

Peters and Parker saw this and attacked the weak willed Bills organization

Then Schobel tried to leverage his way into not having to practice.........Buddy stood up to that one

But then they gave Lynch his dream come true in reward for acting just like Byrd is now

If they don't put an end to the nonsense of giving in to the demands of player already bound to the team then it will continue

Bottom line with Byrd......time heals all wounds

Other teams go thru acrimony like this, backburner it......and come out of it with a contract. It happens. If it didn't, then teams wouldn't use the tag.

Good post and fair points. How good do you think he is?

Screw 'im, and his achin' feet, and Eugene Parker.

I can't believe that reasonable minds cannot come to reasonable numbers on a long-term deal.

Definitely do not trade Byrd - and if they can't work out a long term deal, slap the franchise tag on him again.

Eff you, Eugene. You too, Jairus.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

I agree with this post. And I am glad to see someone NOT blame the entire situation on Parker. If Byrd wasn't down with Parker's philosophy, this wouldn't be happening, and it is silly (imo) to think otherwise.

Btw, the Bills are not without blame for this mess. The team that drafted after the Byrd selection traded down and acquired a first round pick for the following season. Levitre was a 2nd round pick, but they thought enough of him to trade up and draft him. Both turned out to be very good players yet they let one just walk away (for miniscule guaranteed money) and didn't get a deal done with the other.

At this point, they need to play hardball with Byrd. If he has a good season I hope that they slap the tag on him in 2014. I am sick and tired of the Bills (and their great fans) being shoved around.

People get so wound up in their emotions for these players.....who cares if YOU like him or not.......do you care if he likes you, because I got news for some of you, a lot of these players can't stand the jock-sniffing fans.

All that matters is that they are here to do a job.

Byrd is unhappy.........then he can just be unhappy.

If he wants to fake an injury(which I am still not convinced of) then it is a black mark on Eugene Parker and a few dollars lost for the Bills. Eugene Parker has an impeccable reputation as a negotiator......feigning an injury to get traded would be a black mark on that repuation and if that is the precedent he wants to set, then fine. Just eat the contract, pay Byrd for now.........bring a lawsuit against him or suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team......see TO in Philly years ago......... and just go about day to day business.

NO MORE TRADING MALCONTENTS

Moulds begged out and got traded

They let Clements have a no re-tag agreement if he signed his one year tender.........THE critical turning point for this team and handling their players

Takeo begged out and got traded so he could "win"

Willis begged out and got traded so he could get his new contract early

Peters and Parker saw this and attacked the weak willed Bills organization

Then Schobel tried to leverage his way into not having to practice.........Buddy stood up to that one

But then they gave Lynch his dream come true in reward for acting just like Byrd is now

If they don't put an end to the nonsense of giving in to the demands of player already bound to the team then it will continue

Bottom line with Byrd......time heals all wounds

Other teams go thru acrimony like this, backburner it......and come out of it with a contract. It happens. If it didn't, then teams wouldn't use the tag.

Aaron Schobel did no such thing. Quit trying to change history. That is fully, and completely inaccurate.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Bills carried over 9 million to this year

They have 19 million to spend this year. Yes, they are 19 million under the cap.

An elite safety is not worth elite $? That is why our franchise never progresses, because we let our talent go elsewhere to succeed: Winfield, P Williams, Spikes, Fletcher, even lesser guys that were worth keeping around like Greer. That speaks volumes when you get rid of guys who pull their weight.

Lol, laughable you bring up examples from 8 years ago but fail to bring up the current players like Freddie, Stevie, Kyle Williams, Erik Pears, Scott Chandler and Eric Wood that all were extended...

You are trying to make a current argument with 8 year old facts instead of current facts and your argument is pretty much invalid

Good post and fair points. How good do you think he is?

Takeo was a marginal player after tearing his Achilles, don't make him out as the stud he was beforehand

Spiller and Dareus are still under their rookie deals. It's a joke Spiller wasn't in the pro bowl, but make no mistake Spiller>Byrd

Edited by matter2003

Lol, laughable you bring up examples from 8 years ago but fail to bring up the current players like Freddie, Stevie, Kyle Williams, Erik Pears, Scott Chandler and Eric Wood that all were extended...

You are trying to make a current argument with 8 year old facts instead of current facts and your argument is pretty much invalid

Takeo was a marginal player after tearing his Achilles, don't make him out as the stud he was beforehand

I never said Spikes was a stud after his injury. Why would you say that? Also, there's way too much sneering derision towards other posters on this board. It's depressing.

Edited by dave mcbride

:thumbsup:

Terrific post. I like it when people can say with brevity what I attempt to say in long winded fashion. :)

Yeah, if only the Bills offered Byrd a multi-year deal...Oh wait THEY DID.

PTR

Did they? I ask that honestly. I never saw or heard about the offer. What was it?

There's talk that they offered something in the neighborhood of $2-$3 million in less guarantees over the first three years, and average of $2.5 million/year less over the life of the contract. And like a good soldier, he's expected to take a hometown discount or be labeled a malcontent.

History creates reputation, combine that with extending Fitz, giving contracts to dead weight players, and hiring 3rd tier coaches. You have to start somewhere to create an atmosphere where players want to be here. You mention an extension of an old running back as a point, when I'd say they extended him too long.

Byrd was offered a longer contract and decided to go for the 1 year deal. It was his choice and ultimately his gamble to play against the side with all the leverage. He should have no reason to be unhappy seeing other players getting longer deals.

We're back to the player being required to bow to the will of the team. When did that become so? Parker went to the team with a well-researched offer and the Bills didn't agree. Thereafter, there was little to no negotiations. Why would a player and agent take a likely large hometown discount with the entire NFL community, players, agents, team executives watching? Parker would lose major points for having his player agree to something beneath the going rate as would Byrd because it short-circuits other players from winning bigger contracts when they're up.

Players go from hero to zero among the homer crowd faster that a Ferrari goes 0 to 60.

History creates reputation, combine that with extending Fitz, giving contracts to dead weight players, and hiring 3rd tier coaches. You have to start somewhere to create an atmosphere where players want to be here. You mention an extension of an old running back as a point, when I'd say they extended him too long.

The change has started but apparently you've been too busy banging the same drum to see it