The Bills have a very Inexperienced Roster

Dan

As if I wasn't already worried about this season, it occured to me this evening that the Bills have an extremely young roster. Currently, the average is 3.18 years experience. Over half the roster has 3 years or less experience. Add to that, the inexperience at key positions. QB, WR, DB are highlighted by rookies or 2nd year players.

Even more puzzling is the seeming lack of playing time by a lot of these guys in the preseason. Maybe its just my perceptions, but EJ hasn't even practiced and Tuel saw no action in the final game. I imagine Marrone was worried about injuries, but it just feels like the last preseason game and a half they didn't even attempt to play the same game that they did in the first 2 games.

It seems the FO is going all in with the youth movement, which may or may not work, but its going to be several years before we even know. Am I the only one that wonders if this team is just too young and inexperienced to compete with other teams especially the Pats*?

I agree. It seems we are on a total all out youth movement. Which is great if you pick the right guys and the coach can coach them.

When was the last time a coach went to a team and went for the youth movement and was able to keep his job long enough to see if it worked? It is often tried, but has a low success rate IMHO. Some wise football guy said that a coach rebuilding is rebuilding for the next coach.

Coach Marrone doesn't have much time. If history repeats itself again for like the 4th or 5th time in a row, he gets one mulligan. The next year his seat heats up a little bit. The third year his seat is very hot and if he doesn't produce, he's gone and we start over.

I hope it works this time.

As if I wasn't already worried about this season, it occured to me this evening that the Bills have an extremely young roster. Currently, the average is 3.18 years experience. Over half the roster has 3 years or less experience. Add to that, the inexperience at key positions. QB, WR, DB are highlighted by rookies or 2nd year players.

Even more puzzling is the seeming lack of playing time by a lot of these guys in the preseason. Maybe its just my perceptions, but EJ hasn't even practiced and Tuel saw no action in the final game. I imagine Marrone was worried about injuries, but it just feels like the last preseason game and a half they didn't even attempt to play the same game that they did in the first 2 games.

It seems the FO is going all in with the youth movement, which may or may not work, but its going to be several years before we even know. Am I the only one that wonders if this team is just too young and inexperienced to compete with other teams especially the Pats*?

Really?

They look like an expansion team with the rookie coaches and QBs and skills players. Not all bad; the WRs have great potential, the QB looks like a winner, etc etc., but this is a ground start regrettably. So another season of lots of losses but the physical limitations of the roster seems largely to be gone. Need the young guys to stay/get healthy and get lots of reps this season. We need to continue to be patient. OBD blew the whole thing up this past off season and this is what happens when you blow the whole thing up.

I agree. It seems we are on a total all out youth movement. Which is great if you pick the right guys and the coach can coach them.

When was the last time a coach went to a team and went for the youth movement and was able to keep his job long enough to see if it worked? It is often tried, but has a low success rate IMHO. Some wise football guy said that a coach rebuilding is rebuilding for the next coach.

Coach Marrone doesn't have much time. If history repeats itself again for like the 4th or 5th time in a row, he gets one mulligan. The next year his seat heats up a little bit. The third year his seat is very hot and if he doesn't produce, he's gone and we start over.

I hope it works this time.

Frankly, Marrone almost has to be the final coach under Ralph's ownership. By definition he is building the team for the next coach, who will undoubtedly be chosen by the new owner. You think this thing got blown up last season, just wait until someone pays $800m for the franchise.

Well this team is certainly young and inexperienced, from the front office all the down to the last player. But a franchise QB can do wonders. Let's hope EJ is that guy.

I have no doubt this season there will be PLENTY of growing pains, but I'm still excited and ready for the ride. This season is such a mystery. We could finally finish with a winning record, or we could win 1 or 2 games. Either way, I'm strapped in and ready to go.

But the youth movement is definitely here.....let's do this!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by smuvtalker

Well this team is certainly young and inexperience, from the front office all the down to the last player. But a franchise QB can do wonders. Let's hope EJ is that guy.

I have no doubt this season there will be PLENTY of growing pains, but I'm still excited and ready for the ride. This season is such a mystery. We could finally finish with a winning record, or we could win 1 or 2 games. Either way, I'm strapped in and ready to go.

Great attitude, man! IMO, we know what we had with the team we put on the field last year and years prior. We didn't have a problem complaining about that, so why are we complaining about an influx of promising young talent? There is one guarantee. If you don't change, you don't improve. There are no guarantees that changes will make an improvement but there is at least the possibility. It's funny. I see a couple of injuries and a couple of preseason losses and people just completely tank their attitudes. It's just a sport. We have a big number of unknowns going into this season, but there is at least chance our team will surprise.

It's going to be a wild ride for sure, but that's what I like about this sport. I for one am not going to give up. I expect our team to have that same mentality game one against the Patsies. There is no guarantee that they will beat them, but if I'm a Bill, I knuckle down and go for it.....no matter what.

it is the youth movement .. you cant teach an old dog a new trick the rooks will learn the schemes easier than vets

speaking of new tricks

Has any mentioned that Geno Smith is the NYETS starter?

http://tracking.si.com/2013/08/31/jets-rex-ryan-move-on-from-mark-sanchez/?sct=nfl_t2_a6

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

O-Line=good.

QB=unknown, possibly very good

RB's=very good

TE=pretty good

WR's=pretty good

OC=unknown

Defensively

Front 3/4=pretty darn good

LB's=average but I think improved over last year

Defensive secondary=Pretty Bad

DC=pretty good

The team has some talent, albeit young but if they can coach these guys I think we can compete. With the loss of Gilmore though, I think this is a much bigger issue than folks realize. Pettine's initial schemes count on Gilmore being in there. We'll see how Coach Pettine responds to this "adversity". Our secondary is a major major concern IMHO. Only way we have a shot against NE is time of possession=won, and pressure galore on Brady if at all possible.

Great attitude, man! IMO, we know what we had with the team we put on the field last year and years prior. We didn't have a problem complaining about that, so why are we complaining about an influx of promising young talent? There is one guarantee. If you don't change, you don't improve. There are no guarantees that changes will make an improvement but there is at least the possibility. It's funny. I see a couple of injuries and a couple of preseason losses and people just completely tank their attitudes. It's just a sport. We have a big number of unknowns going into this season, but there is at least chance our team will surprise.

It's going to be a wild ride for sure, but that's what I like about this sport. I for one am not going to give up. I expect our team to have that same mentality game one against the Patsies. There is no guarantee that they will beat them, but if I'm a Bill, I knuckle down and go for it.....no matter what.

Yes sir!!!! :thumbsup:

I rather have so-so young guys than older ones. With the older ones you got what you got, but younger guys have the potential to improve. Your WR core got younger, but now Jones and Nelson are no longer on any roster. At QB, Thigpen is out of football and Fitz didnt even challenge for a #1 position. So, when a team is short talent to improve you would have to get younger. Now lets hope these young guys limit the rookie mistakes.

Really?

Yeah.

Good so they're naive to the experience of suck that has circled the drains around WNY. Maybe they can turn that around soon enough

That's actually a good point. And perhaps is why they've got so many rookies and new guys on the team now.

Well this team is certainly young and inexperienced, from the front office all the down to the last player. But a franchise QB can do wonders. Let's hope EJ is that guy.

This season truly does seem like a mystery. That's what led me to start this thread last night. I follow this team each year, all year and for the first time in forever, I feel like this team is a complete mystery.

I'm reading the EJ thread that he's practicing and all the optimism but, seriously, it feels like he's played less this preseason than any other starter out there. So, I'm not even sure he's close to being ready. So, I don't know.

I'm not saying we'e gonna suck. Conversely, I'm just not sure we're ready to start the season either. This season is a mystery.