Dave Chappelles incident in CT

NoSaint

Sounds like quite the scene - ive been to a lot of shows and events and have yet to see a performer quit because of audience behavior.

http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/dave-chappelle-didnt-meltdown-405#axzz2dShHxbKJ

After engaging some of the heckling politely, Chappelle had enough. "I’ve been up here a while now and I thought it was me but now I ‘m sure it’s you. There is definitely something wrong with you." he told us. In other words, 'shut up and let me perform.' Not many did. Finally, he gave up and took his cigarettes and his water and sat on stage.

The crowd got worse....

Edited by NoSaint

I don't think it's the first time he has done this. Last time was couple of years ago.

Plus the fact he signed the biggest comedy central contract ever, and walked. It made Jon Stewarts contract look like chump change.

He is definitely not motivated by money or stardom.

One of the funniest guys out there, but seems to care less about his image.

I'm confused. So they heckled him because he was black? Terrible article.

It seems like they heckled were obnoxious pricks towards him because he refused to do the material they wanted to see. And Ebony is making a "dancing minstrel" story out of it.

The root problem isn't racism here. The root problem is that Hartford is full of obnoxious pricks.

Sounds like quite the scene - ive been to a lot of shows and events and have yet to see a performer quit because of audience behavior.

http://www.ebony.com...5#axzz2dShHxbKJ

Saw Public Image in Canada once...Waterloo maybe? People kept spitting on John Lydon (like they used to back in his Pistols days)...he stopped mid-song and said "if another one of you c**ts spits on me, or anyone else in this band, we are leaving...." Sure enough, about a minute later, somebody spits on Lydon, he slams the mic on the stage and walks off...band followed close behind.

He is still one of the top 5 funniest comedians out there.

Whenever Comedy Central has a Chappelle marathon, I can't pry myself away, no matter how late is gettting... the Prince "shirts vs blouses" thing still kills me every time.

It seems like they heckled were obnoxious pricks towards him because he refused to do the material they wanted to see. And Ebony is making a "dancing minstrel" story out of it.

The root problem isn't racism here. The root problem is that Hartford is full of obnoxious pricks.

I can vouch for this.

There's a reason I like the Quiet Corner of CT.

That was my point. They didn't heckle him because he was black but according to Ebony they did. Hence my "confusion".

The video tells you nothing because they didn't start it until after he had stopped performing. After standing there not telling jokes for several minutes, obviously he's going to be heckled -- as would any comedian.

Unless we can see what heckling took place before he quit, we'll never really know who was at fault. Obviously the Ebony writer is only interested in playing the 'poor black guy is still being oppressed by whitey' card (never mind that whitey made him a multi-millionaire).

That was my point. They didn't heckle him because he was black but according to Ebony they did. Hence my "confusion".

According to Ebony the white audience called out their requests in a manner similar to how they might tell animals to do tricks for their amusement. They were incapable of taking him seriously as an artist because he is black, and Dave refused to soft shoe for them. The audience grew angrier when the man they bought and paid for refused to degrade himself by performing his earlier bits.

The story that Chappelle had enough of a ****ty audience isn't enough of a story so 1 + 1 = racism.