Da'rick Rogers cleared waivers

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems pretty strange to me. I would have expected him to find a new home the way people were talking about him after the draft and during training camp.

Well, 31 other teams passed on him 6, 7 or even 8 times. So, probably not that strange.

Besides, who many head case players can you have on 1 team?

Edited by San-O

If Rogers was not going to make the final roster I am glad that he was cut early. I think that this was an attempt to sneak him onto the PS. They have done this before with projects (Peters, Jasper). It is all a game of poker.

We will see - next up is swallowing his pride and us hoping he still doesn't get any offers if that's the plan.

I'm still surprised that no one claimed him. Would've been essentially a free couple day tryout. Even titus young was claimed off waivers this offseason for that purpose.

Edited by NoSaint

I 100% agree with you.

Me too. i have not read the whole post yet :bag:

But i agree too . I would love to see him decide our PS and let these coaches , like Ike . And Nathaniel and Big Doug get after him. he could be a great PS to develop . If the kid decides he wants to go to Work for it . Thats how i feel about this coaching staff at this point . and maybe he is a dim bulb and not for our Bills. not sure. at the least it was worth a shot picking him up

We will see - next up is swallowing his pride and us hoping he still doesn't get any offers if that's the plan.

I'm still surprised that no one claimed him. Would've been essentially a free couple day tryout. Even titus young was claimed off waivers this offseason for that purpose.

and thats is saying something

Not necessarily. Jason Peters was handled the same way, although he was doing a position switch which may have allowed the Bills the cover to sneak him onto the PS...

The thing about this is, it's hard at this point to view Jason Peters as anything other than a star tackle (albeit he's had injuries and most of us think he's greedy and lazy) but back when the Bills put him on the PS, they didn't have to sneak him on at all. He was a MAJOR project, a shot in the dark. This is what makes the fact that JP wasn't our anchor at LT for his entire career all the more disappointing. Obviously he had raw talent, but the Bills organization developed and shaped him. We made him what he was. We gave him a shot. Definitely too bad about Da'Rick, but I think it's quite a different situation than JP.

Well, 31 other teams passed on him 6, 7 or even 8 times. So, probably not that strange.

Besides, who many head case players can you have on 1 team?

No team would pick him up now. Its hard enuf for teams to cut down to 53.

To claim Da'Rick would be to tell the other 75 on that team that "we already know who to cut to get down to 52, so we signed Da'Rick (a project who is better than 23 of you, who have busted ASS for us all summer)"

Clearing waivers = Free Agent = free to sign with anyone. So why would he sign with us?:

Positives:

(1) Knows the offense a little.

(2) Knows the coaches a little.

(3) We believe(d) in him.

(4) Applebee's

Negatives:

(1) We have plenty of WRs.

(2) If somebody gets hurt, he might not be the first one called up. I.E.: if we keep 2 wrs on practice squad.

(3) Money: another team might offer more.

(4) Active Roster: Another team might (crazily) promise to activate him.

Bottom line: He will sign where he thinks his opportunity is best. The bills are kinda stacked at WR.

So I predict he goes elsewhere. I'd guess Pittsburgh, who is looking for a speed threat and a return threat, and has a real QB. Maybe KC. Probably NOT New England, 'cause I dont think he wants to work that hard or grow up that fast.

At this stage of his life, the kid most definitely needs the structure and discipline of a football environment to help him become a better player and mature as person.

I won't disagree with you on that. He's going to be very lucky if he catches on with an NFL team again.

The Bills didn't cut him because he just wasn't quite good enough to make the team.

There are still WR's on the team that are not quite good enough to make the team. If eligible, those will be the guys on the PS.

They cut Rogers because of his attitude. The Bills already gave him a second chance. I'm highly skeptical that he gets a third chance with the Bills.

Edited by Joe Miner

You would think if they were hoping to sign him the practice squad they would wait until the final round of cuts. I think the Bill's are done with him IMO

Bingo this guy is done with Buffalo, 75 spots, if they valued him as a PS candidate they would have held on to him until the final cuts.

The Bills didn't cut him because he just wasn't quite good enough to make the team.

There are still WR's on the team that are not quite good enough to make the team. If eligible, those will be the guys on the PS.

They cut Rogers because of his attitude. The Bills already gave him a second chance. I'm highly skeptical that he gets a third chance with the Bills.

Part of the reason they cut him now sends a message of he must have been a problem/bust....thus it he has a better shot at the PS.

Remember alot of teams if they feel a player is a project that isnt ready for the team this year but has good long term potential--thus practice squad is usually cut at the first cut down time.

You would think if they were hoping to sign him the practice squad they would wait until the final round of cuts. I think the Bill's are done with him IMO

Actually the opposite is true.....

When you have the final cut down day teams will search it big time for talent they can claim and add to their teams 53 or to their PS.

the cuts to 75 players tend not to be looked at as additions to a 53 man or a PS---thus its an easy way to slip him to the PS.

If he comes to our practice squad cool. If not we can get someone else. Even at worse is this guy going to do less for us then James Hardy?

To be fair---Hardy had serious injuries---thus not given a fair shot. One of them was a serious knee injury that takes usually a full year to recover.