Spiller knee injury

ny33

So according to Marrone, CJ told him he was fine and wanted to go back in.

Ok. That's all well and good, but Marrone's job is to get this team ready (and healthy) for September 8, not to let his star RB get a couple extra carries in a meaningless preseason game.

I view this decision as "strike one" against Marrone. Poor judgment. This is the first time I've seriously questioned his tactics. He's old school for sure.

To address the first post in the thread, however, they've hardly used CJ as a "workhorse" in the preseason. My only beef is in sending him back out there yesterday.

They should sit him until the regular season,duh.

If it's really a cut then yeah, that's a no-brainer - give the skin time to heal.

I don't think they'd necessarily play him game 4 anyway.

Detroit game needs to be all about deciding which WR's to keep, settling on the #2 CB, and getting the new QB(s) evaluation time.

Ok. That's all well and good, but Marrone's job is to get this team ready (and healthy) for September 8, not to let his star RB get a couple extra carries in a meaningless preseason game.

I view this decision as "strike one" against Marrone. Poor judgment. This is the first time I've seriously questioned his tactics. He's old school for sure.

To address the first post in the thread, however, they've hardly used CJ as a "workhorse" in the preseason. My only beef is in sending him back out there yesterday.

I agree with you he shouldn't have gone back in the game, but him going back in honestly calmed my nerves that it wasn't a serious injury

I understand that Coach Marrone is VERY worried that he already has "strike one" in eball's view.

You're right, actually- Spiller has 19 carries for the preseason, and there are several other entrenched starters with more carries, such as Ray Rice and Chris Johnson. That being said, they've been over-reliant on him, and using him on the goal line was a bad idea; putting him back in the game after injury was even worse.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/playersort/NFL/RYDS/2013/pre?&_1:col_1=7

I disagree that it was a bad move to put CJ back in the game mostly because CJ said he wanted to go back in.

I also agree with the coaching mentality that you want to get the player to "get back on that horse."

The subtext of Spiller's career can be seen in the two most infamous coaching statements attached to his career:

1) "Cj was getting winded out there."

2) "We're gonna run CJ until he pukes."

Hackett and Marrone look to me like they're trying to toughen CJ up and get him ready for heavy usage.

We have a board full of posters who think that CJ didn't get the ball enough last year and want to see him get many more touches this year.

I'd say that you can't mentally and physically prepare a running back for a major role by hiding him on the bench.

IMO the only way putting him back in the game is if there was a real injury involved that CJ and the training and medical staff somehow missed. Other than that I think the backlash is an overreaction, much like the reaction to the game itself.

I understand that Coach Marrone is VERY worried that he already has "strike one" in eball's view.

Marrone can relax -- now that I know CJ's injury was simply a spike to the knee, my evaluation of the situation has changed significantly. Carry on.

I have a fantasy draft today, with the likely opportunity to draft spiller. Has any news come out today on how he's doing? I know it was a minor injury but you never know who can wake up with a swollen knee!

..nothing out of one bills drive yet

I disagree that it was a bad move to put CJ back in the game mostly because CJ said he wanted to go back in.

I also agree with the coaching mentality that you want to get the player to "get back on that horse."

The subtext of Spiller's career can be seen in the two most infamous coaching statements attached to his career:

Hackett and Marrone look to me like they're trying to toughen CJ up and get him ready for heavy usage.

We have a board full of posters who think that CJ didn't get the ball enough last year and want to see him get many more touches this year.

I'd say that you can't mentally and physically prepare a running back for a major role by hiding him on the bench.

IMO the only way putting him back in the game is if there was a real injury involved that CJ and the training and medical staff somehow missed. Other than that I think the backlash is an overreaction, much like the reaction to the game itself.

CJ had a cut? And for that some fans didn't want him back in? A cut? A boo-boo?

If he had torn a ligament or sprained an ankle or something like that, Marrone would need to keep him out. Otherwise, I agree with San Jose.

There are game situations that will call for a runner like Freddie, and when that happens, don't be surprised if Marrone and hackett let the hot hand run, I would. Freddie has the ability to take over a game, and if he does, go with it, and pepper in CJ. When CJ is hot it will easily be the right thing to do to let him run. It will be fun to see these 2 guys run this year, and I was happy to see CJ come back in to score, I hope that's an indication of how tough the kid really is, even if it was just a cut.

I have a fantasy draft today, with the likely opportunity to draft spiller. Has any news come out today on how he's doing? I know it was a minor injury but you never know who can wake up with a swollen knee!

Did you draft him? I plan on doing so if the opportunity presents itself. I think he may get 5 receptions per game (I play 1/2 ppr) and will get about 100 overall yards and 6-10 TD's on the year.

Freddie has the ability to take over a game, and if he does, go with it, and pepper in CJ.

Are you worried that maybe that sentence should be written in the past tense now? I know I am, based on what my untrained eyes are telling me.

CJ Spiller is not built to be an every down back in my opinion San Jose and putting a gimpy Spiller back in the game was wrong.

The Bills have a grulling 16 game regular season to deal with and using/abusing CJ in a meaningless preseason game for the sake of conditioning is not very intelligent. All players want to play. Its up to the coaching staff and trainers to tell players when enoughs, enough.

Did you watch RGIII go back onto the football field last season with his leg flopping around?

Edited by dog14787

Its a cut he's fine....man up people.

Tears for fears.

Regular season with a healthy Spiller and EJ is coming up.

This is the most important, and most likely scenario. Right now we might have some problem for game 1, but we'll be ok for the regular season. This is a transition year and we should be patient.