Half way through Preseason. What are your concerns?

I don't like the 'new' punt drop technique at all (nose down), even though hang time and distance supposedly improve. Too much chance for a mis-drop to spell disaster and we've already seen this.

I don't believe the new drop technique is for hang time or distance; it's for dropping the ball inside the 10 with more of a backspin to prevent it from going in the end zone.

My worry is that the defense isn't going to be quite as awesome as we all think it's going to be. Not for any particular reason other than cynicism. George Edwards and Friggin' Dave Wannstedt will do that to you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only concern is the DB's. We'll see how that works out week 1. Good test.

Glenn is not much of a concern for me.

O-line depth is a concern. I think the starters will be average, but if someone gets injured we could have an awful line remaining.

Overall, optimistic about this season.

The lack of deep passes

CBF

This is likely by design. You don't play your ace in the hole unless you need to. Most passes preseason have been underneath routes by design if you ask me.

My concern, our QB's knee's. Need to work on them.

Haven't really seen the O in action......not one long pass. that has to be in there to provide the balance for the recievers to get open short. The D looks OK so far, but the DB's have to hold up. McKelvins injurt recovery worries me...there is no other #2 with the physical skills. Brooks is a step slow, but a hitter. Searcy can't cover (or Williams for that matter), but he (they) are hitters, and will get their share of turn overs off fumbles, I think. (I am thinking of Leonard Smith, I can't be the only one out there that remembers our big hitting safety of the 80's) Rogers is below average, maybe one of the others can do some good (Butler, maybe) I like Robey's quickness, but he is really small. (I do remember Tony Green, a small package who could really play)

I must refute this. While penalties on the defense were aplenty Friday--mostly neutral zone infractions--they were able to hold the Vikings, even with the short field. Also, the PI call on Robey/Butler (can't remember which) was bogus. And we never got to see the replay of the facemask on the kickoff.

Nigel has glaucoma.

McKelvin

Searcy

LG

Maroone has miltary tendencies

Mario has a boo boo foot.

wet field mats and Kolb

Is my beer cold.

can Blatnick Ross and my boy Troup make the team

not in that order.

ps wtf does me having no warning points mean? these guys are messing with my head. that is actually one of my biggest concerns

Edited by 3rdand12

Now that we are half way through the preseason. What are your top positional concerns about this roster?

Mine in order:

LG - Has this gone from one of are strongest to the weakest spot on the team. The competition has been less than stellar to this point.

CB#2 - Gilmore is a stud as #1. Can a revolving door of McKelvin, Rogers, Brooks and co provide Pettine with enough support so he can run his D scheme effectively? I hate saying this but Dick Jauron was right, "You can never have too many DB's"

TE - Can Chandler come back healthy and regain his effectiveness? Does this roster have enough TE depth to cover if Chandler cannot go?

FS - Will Byrd be back, I believe so. Until then this has to be a concern for any fan. Searcy while ok in spot duty, has lacked in his ability to lock down in a starting role.

LT - To me, Cordy Glenn has not looked as good in his second year as I thought he wood. Jerry Hughes has consistently put pressure on the QB's in practice. Hopefully this is just Cordy Not giving his all in the preseason, and can lock down the LT position.

As a note I am concerned about the O-line in general. this has to be the weak point of the team. My what a difference a year makes!

QB - we need EJ to be healthy

LG - I'm going to miss Levitre

CB2 - I'm hoping Crezdon Butler steps up, McKelvin needs to stay healthy and turn his head when the ball is coming

FS - Searcy is a major liability in coverage, we need Byrd back and healthy

ILB - I wasn't worried until Bradham decided to be a knucklehead

WR - only worry is we can only keep so many. Da'Rick hasn't flashed enough yet to deserve a spot. Needs time and training, physically gifted though.

TE - Chandler looks good, no worries. I'm curious about beefing up Kaufman and trying him at TE

LT - Glenn is fine, he hasn't allowed a sack all preseason.

Again in the practices, Jerry hughes was getting a lot of pressures from that side, he has beaten Glenn. As I stated I am hoping it is just Cordy in practice not giving it his all. As mentioned he did keep Allen in check, which is good. But was Allen going all out (See Mario Williams) Was Minnesoats a Vanilla scheme?

Yes. Unless you consider trying to chase CJ Spiller down from his DE position on the opposite side as not going all out. Allen was getting off the ball quickly but Glenn was able to match him in intensity. Glenn is being well-served by going against a speed guy every day in practice.

GO BILLS!!!

The lack of deep passes

CBF

^^^^

This (we have no clue at all about EJ's ability to go deep in the NFL), plus the lack of offensive production against the 1st team defenses. If QBs can't perform against first stringers, CJ is going to be one tired (and most likely injured) dude.

My single biggest concern is QB. I know everyone is totally in love with EJ right now but the guy is still a rookie, and while he's been pretty good, he hasn't exactly blown me away. We play the Patriots right away at home which will be a huge game and I'm just not sure EJ will be good enough to win it at this point.

After that I don't really have any big worries. The left side of our line and our #2 cornerback are a little worrisome but I don't feel like these problems will be all that big. I am still a little worried about our defense as a whole playing against an actual offense like the Pats as up until now we've really only played Matt Hasselbeck and a Peterson-less Minnesota offense but they've looked like they'll be a tough defense to put up points on.

Edited by Bills Fan888

Mine is the fan base. Definitely the fan base. They will exalt the virtues of this year's squad or wilt into oblivion with the team. They are largely composed of shell-shocked old timers and limp-wristed negative ninnies these days. The bandwagon will be huge or non- existent base on the team's record. This place will either be a carnival or a sewer.

1) another corner besides Gilmore- McKelvin is okay especially inside but we have little depth for nickle or dime

2) safety Searcy- holy crap, I thought we could get away without Byrd via scheme but I don't think so anymore. Williams is very valuable , good hitter at safety with some cover skills

3) TJ Graham and Stevie neither has played in a preseason game and now with Manuel down- no chance for timing to come together, I think this is bigger than we think

4) Punting the football - Powell is the picture of inconsistent - he might hit it 60 or 16

Mine is the fan base. Definitely the fan base. They will exalt the virtues of this year's squad or wilt into oblivion with the team. They are largely composed of shell-shocked old timers and limp-wristed negative ninnies these days. The bandwagon will be huge or non- existent base on the team's record. This place will either be a carnival or a sewer.

The people booing Kolb at the game was pretty bad too. Everyone's already jumped on the EJ bandwagon, it'll be interesting to see what happens when he struggles.

Interesting topic Count Dorkula

QB - Hoping we don't lose too many games before one of the three establishes themself as a viable QB (one of them has to, right?)

S, CB - My #2 concern is the defensive backfield because we only have 2 of the 4 positions in place. Even if Bryd comes back how long will it take to catch up?

LG - I wish we had a better starting guard because this means the o-line is not only a little weak but thin

LB - Definately a lack of depth

We are weak at positions like FB and TE but I think Hackett can design around those flaws

The fact that some people are citing "Lack of deep passes" is laughable to me. Why? Because there hasn't been a 50 yard bomb in either of the first two preseason games yet? Goodwin seemingly can't go a single practice without catching one, and Graham and Rogers have too, so obviously it's a big part of the playbook. Not a worry for me what so ever.

The fact that some people are citing "Lack of deep passes" is laughable to me. Why? Because there hasn't been a 50 yard bomb in either of the first two preseason games yet? Goodwin seemingly can't go a single practice without catching one, and Graham and Rogers have too, so obviously it's a big part of the playbook. Not a worry for me what so ever.

And practice conditions exactly match regular season game conditions.

And practice conditions exactly match regular season game conditions.

Never said they did. The point is that if you were rarely seeing downfield passes throughout the entirety of training camp, then maybe some concern is justified. However, they are happening all the time, so it isn't justified to base your concern on two preseason games without them.