Half way through Preseason. What are your concerns?

Now that we are half way through the preseason. What are your top positional concerns about this roster?

Mine in order:

LG - Has this gone from one of are strongest to the weakest spot on the team. The competition has been less than stellar to this point.

CB#2 - Gilmore is a stud as #1. Can a revolving door of McKelvin, Rogers, Brooks and co provide Pettine with enough support so he can run his D scheme effectively? I hate saying this but Dick Jauron was right, "You can never have too many DB's"

TE - Can Chandler come back healthy and regain his effectiveness? Does this roster have enough TE depth to cover if Chandler cannot go?

FS - Will Byrd be back, I believe so. Until then this has to be a concern for any fan. Searcy while ok in spot duty, has lacked in his ability to lock down in a starting role.

LT - To me, Cordy Glenn has not looked as good in his second year as I thought he wood. Jerry Hughes has consistently put pressure on the QB's in practice. Hopefully this is just Cordy Not giving his all in the preseason, and can lock down the LT position.

As a note I am concerned about the O-line in general. this has to be the weak point of the team. My what a difference a year makes!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of Penalties.

I must refute this. While penalties on the defense were aplenty Friday--mostly neutral zone infractions--they were able to hold the Vikings, even with the short field. Also, the PI call on Robey/Butler (can't remember which) was bogus. And we never got to see the replay of the facemask on the kickoff.

Now that we are half way through the preseason. What are your top positional concerns about this roster?

Mine in order:

LG - Has this gone from one of are strongest to the weakest spot on the team. The competition has been less than stellar to this point.

CB#2 - Gilmore is a stud as #1. Can a revolving door of McKelvin, Rogers, Brooks and co provide Pettine with enough support so he can run his D scheme effectively? I hate saying this but Dick Jauron was right, "You can never have too many DB's"

TE - Can Chandler come back healthy and regain his effectiveness? Does this roster have enough TE depth to cover if Chandler cannot go?

FS - Will Byrd be back, I believe so. Until then this has to be a concern for any fan. Searcy while ok in spot duty, has lacked in his ability to lock down in a starting role.

LT - To me, Cordy Glenn has not looked as good in his second year as I thought he wood. Jerry Hughes has consistently put pressure on the QB's in practice. Hopefully this is just Cordy Not giving his all in the preseason, and can lock down the LT position.

As a note I am concerned about the O-line in general. this has to be the weak point of the team. My what a difference a year makes!

I agree LG is a concern. From what I've seen, all of the runs for big yards have come from the right side of the O-line.

"I hate saying this but Dick Jauron was right, "You can never have too many DB's" - AAAGGGHHHH!!!! Curse you for bringing up skeletors name. I hope you don't say next "It's hard to win in the NFL."

I'm not worried about Cordy Glenn as he kept one of the leagues best pass rushers [Jared Allen] in check. What I would like to see in the offseason is the Bills draft a solid LT, and slide Glenn to LG. If that happens, then the Bills have the potential to have the best O-line in football. This is not to say that Glenn cannot play the LT position effectively, I feel he would be better suited as a LG.

Good points about TE & FS.

I must refute this. While penalties on the defense were aplenty Friday--mostly neutral zone infractions--they were able to hold the Vikings, even with the short field. Also, the PI call on Robey/Butler (can't remember which) was bogus. And we never got to see the replay of the facemask on the kickoff.

Tell that to Coach Marrone: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/08/doug-marrone-sees-red-over-penalties.html

Cordy Glenn hasn't given up a single QB pressure in the preseason.

Again in the practices, Jerry hughes was getting a lot of pressures from that side, he has beaten Glenn. As I stated I am hoping it is just Cordy in practice not giving it his all. As mentioned he did keep Allen in check, which is good. But was Allen going all out (See Mario Williams) Was Minnesoats a Vanilla scheme?

Left Guard - Although I think Brown has improved as camp has gone along, he is not as consistent as he needs to be and Legursky seems like no more than depth at this point.

#2 CB - I'll be less concerned if McKelvin proves that he is healthy and ready to go, but if he is either injured or ineffective, no one has behind him has proven that they would be able to competently take over.

Penalties - 23 in two games is simply too many. Anyone who says that they don't matter is either foolish, naive or both. They are drive killers and momentum killers. Ask the Raiders how it works out when you have double-digit penalties every game.

On a side note, I am not worried AT ALL about Cordy Glenn. His play last year, combined with how he looked against a top-5 Defensive End in Jared Allen last week, tells me all I need to know.

Again in the practices, Jerry hughes was getting a lot of pressures from that side, he has beaten Glenn. As I stated I am hoping it is just Cordy in practice not giving it his all. As mentioned he did keep Allen in check, which is good. But was Allen going all out (See Mario Williams) Was Minnesoats a Vanilla scheme?

Oh, vanilla scheme my foot.

Was it Buffalo's vanilla scheme that let Hughes waltz past Kalil like he was standing still? Was it Buffalo's vanilla scheme the forced Sullivan to snap the ball 20 yards past Ponder? Was it Buffalo's vanilla scheme that allowed Dareus to snowplow his man right into Ponder's lap?

You line up and you play. May be Allen wasn't trying hard...may be.

Right, and we've seen what Hughes has done thus far in preseason as well. You may be right that Allen wasn't going all out, but I think that's a great way to get injured, and I doubt he was just going through the motions.

And I'm not sure what your point is about Mario. In his (albeit limited) time in preseason games, he was playing his tail off. Vanilla or not, the goal of an end is to get past the tackle.

So basically, you're saying Glenn getting beat a few times during practice means more than him being rock solid during actual games?

Week 1. I have night terrors of Kolb dropping back to pass and the center stepping on his foot and him falling backwards and thinking 'oh god, no. I need to show these fans I'm confident" so he desperately throws the ball straight up in the air and the Pats intercepting for a TD. and that's only the first play of the game. By that time it's like 1:08PM.

Cordy Glenn hasn't given up a single QB pressure in the preseason.

No sacks, no hits, no hurries.

ProFootballFocus.com's Premium Stats rank Cordy Glenn #2 among all LT's in preseason (#1=Jonathan Martin, Dolphins).

Kicking game.

Perhaps the ONLY piece of mind Bills fans have had this century was when Moorman or Lindell lined up to kick. I don't like the 'new' punt drop technique at all (nose down), even though hang time and distance supposedly improve. Too much chance for a mis-drop to spell disaster and we've already seen this. I'm not against our young legs, just worried that the newbies haven't shown much and December & January winds can be hellacious.

So basically, you're saying Glenn getting beat a few times during practice means more than him being rock solid during actual games?

Maybe I am off base on this one. Though It is a minor concern. I thought I had out that in the OP, but I did not that is one me.

From the limited practice I saw he just did not look like i thought he would in his second year. This could be a major coincidence. Also, myabe I am just expecting way to much from the guy in his second year after a solid first. Just pure domination all the time. And you are correct he has been good in games. Again hopefully my concerns with him are proven wrong.

Right, and we've seen what Hughes has done thus far in preseason as well. You may be right that Allen wasn't going all out, but I think that's a great way to get injured, and I doubt he was just going through the motions.

And I'm not sure what your point is about Mario. In his (albeit limited) time in preseason games, he was playing his tail off. Vanilla or not, the goal of an end is to get past the tackle.

The Mario Willaims thing was in reference to some posters here criticizing Mario for not showing in preseason. It refers to guys who have allready solidified themselves as stars in this league and need liitle preaseon reps, and do not take it too seriosuly.