2010 Draft Revisited

eball

The 2010 Draft has been cited frequently as one of the worst in recent memory, and as evidence of Buddy Nix's incompetence as a GM.

1st -- Spiller

2nd -- Troup

3rd -- Carrington

4th -- Easley

6th -- Moats

Spiller is a budding superstar. Carrington is a starter poised for a breakout year. Moats is a 2nd string ILB and ST contributor. Easley appears to finally be healthy and could be the 5th or 6th WR. Troup is healthy but likely faces the longest odds to make the roster in the DL rotation.

It's hard to comment with respect to Troup and Easley because their careers have never really gotten started because of injury. Moats and Carrington were arguably miscast by the previous coaching staff, and Spiller was underutilized.

I dare say the possibility exists that by the end of the 2013 season, this draft will be looked back upon quite fondly by fans of the Buffalo Bills.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of right *now*, Spiller is the only good player, and he was a "luxury" at the time.

Hopefully, by the end of the season, Troup, Carrington, Easley, and Moats actually contribute to the team... which up until now, none of them really have other than Carrington a handful of times.

Outside of Spiller, that draft was garbage and he took nearly two years to develop. The 2013 draft however looks much more promising from the start. If Manuel becomes a legit starter it could be a home run.

Outside of Spiller, that draft was garbage and he took nearly two years to develop. The 2013 draft however looks much more promising from the start. If Manuel becomes a legit starter it could be a home run.

The topic is 2010 so let's stick with that.

You say garbage, I suppose because the players haven't developed quickly enough for your liking? If at the end of the day, though, you have a superstar, another solid starter, and 2-3 other significant contributors is that really a "garbage" draft?

As of right *now*, Spiller is the only good player, and he was a "luxury" at the time.

Hopefully, by the end of the season, Troup, Carrington, Easley, and Moats actually contribute to the team... which up until now, none of them really have other than Carrington a handful of times.

During last year's training camp Tim Ryan of SiriusXM (and Fox) was raving about Carrington being "unblockable" -- and look how Wanny used him. I'd say he's already "good" and is finally getting a chance to show it. Moats was put in the wrong position and has similarly finally found a home -- he looked very comfortable Friday night.

Easley's performance so far this camp is right there in front of us. Troup is really the only one I fear won't make the roster now.

The "luxury" moniker continues to crack me up. If you wind up with a bonafide superstar on your roster, it wasn't a luxury.

During last year's training camp Tim Ryan of SiriusXM (and Fox) was raving about Carrington being "unblockable" -- and look how Wanny used him. I'd say he's already "good" and is finally getting a chance to show it. Moats was put in the wrong position and has similarly finally found a home -- he looked very comfortable Friday night.

Easley's performance so far this camp is right there in front of us. Troup is really the only one I fear won't make the roster now.

The "luxury" moniker continues to crack me up. If you wind up with a bonafide superstar on your roster, it wasn't a luxury.

I just don't get the insistence on calling Spiller a "luxury."

A RB careening headlong toward 30, another toward a season-ending suspension.

The only thing one could possibly argue against Spiller is that he hasn't been used properly...not his fault. But once a "jury's still out" guy, always a "jury's still out" guy, I suppose.

Spiller = Global Warming.

The 2010 Draft has been cited frequently as one of the worst in recent memory, and as evidence of Buddy Nix's incompetence as a GM.

1st -- Spiller

2nd -- Troup

3rd -- Carrington

4th -- Easley

6th -- Moats

Spiller is a budding superstar. Carrington is a starter poised for a breakout year. Moats is a 2nd string ILB and ST contributor. Easley appears to finally be healthy and could be the 5th or 6th WR. Troup is healthy but likely faces the longest odds to make the roster in the DL rotation.

It's hard to comment with respect to Troup and Easley because their careers have never really gotten started because of injury. Moats and Carrington were arguably miscast by the previous coaching staff, and Spiller was underutilized.

I dare say the possibility exists that by the end of the 2013 season, this draft will be looked back upon quite fondly by fans of the Buffalo Bills.

Does the 2010 draft class look better now than it did in 2012? Yes. Was it a good draft class? As of now, the answer is still no, and that won't change unless Moats, Easley, or Troup become solid players.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/15/3985590/nfl-draft-ranking-the-best-and-worst-draft-classes-of-2010

Our 2010 draft class is not better than sixteen of those draft classes.

I think Carrington will break out this year for sure, then he'll leave via FA. With Eugene as his agent, unless we somehow extend during the season, he's as good as gone.

I've always liked Easley, and I think he's showing he deserves a shot WR3 over Graham. He may never get significant playing time though.

Moats is still just a serviceable backup, which I guess is pretty decent for a 6th rounder.

Troup hurts the most, because of who we passed on. Even if he makes the team, I can't see him ever making a significant contribution.

"The 2010 Draft: Results of a Top 5 Talent Evaluator" When does the book come out?

Hey, welcome back! I knew I could draw you out with something from the Nix era! You've been awful quiet the last couple of weeks with nothing to complain about. ;)

It's not so much that Spiller was a luxury pick, it's that the pick was indicative of poor team-building. Drafting RBs in the top 10 is not typically how to build a championship nucleus. Drafting a RB when (arguably) the two best players on your team are already RBs doesn't usually lead to extra wins. (Note that the Bills have continued to lose most of their games even when Spiller has played very well.)

But all that is irrelevant if the RB you picks turns out to be a HOF-type talent. (Example: Adrian Peterson or Marshall Faulk.) Spiller has shown flashes of that kind of ability, and he certainly is fun to watch, but over the last 3 years, Marshawn Lynch has been the better player. And despite PTR's assurances of a HOF plaque for Spiller, the committee typically requires more than 2,973 yards from scrimmage before inducting a running back. I hope that last year winds up his sixth or seventh best season for the Bills, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Travis Henry's first 3 years were pretty nice. So were Willis McGahee's. Spiller is awesome right now, but the NFL is littered with RBs who started out great but couldn't maintain it due to injury or other factors.

With respect to the OP's broader point: I think you're being a little over-optimistic, but if you can't be optimistic in the offseason, when can you be? The only parts I really agree with are Spiller and Carrington: Both look like infinitely better players entering 2013 than they did entering 2011. Carrington's development in the new D will be very interesting to watch. He showed some flashes of quality play last year (and I loved his performance on the FG block unit!), and the new coaching staff has universally raved about him. Maybe he can be Pettine's Buffalo version of Muhammad Wilkerson? Even if he just becomes a solid starter, that majorly upgrades the 2010 draft class over what it looked like a year or two ago.

I don't have anything but the faintest hopes for the rest of the draft class, however. Easley's looked really good in preseason, but we've seen that before. I don't think he's even guaranteed himself a roster spot yet, and even if he does make the team, he'll be no higher than 4th on the depth chart. Not many 4th receivers make much of an impact around the league. Troup is a similar situation -- I don't necessarily expect him to make the team, and if he does, he's not guaranteed a lot of playing time. If we get any positive production out of either of those guys, awesome. But I think it's a longshot that either one is a "significant contributor", much less both.

As for Moats, I've liked him from Day 1, and very happy to hear that he's playing well as the backup MLB. Any time a 6th-rounder is still on the team 3 years later, the pick was at least somewhat successful.

1st -- Spiller

2nd -- Troup

3rd -- Carrington

4th -- Easley

6th -- Moats

I'm not calling this draft bad, but you are leaving out a few guys:

Ed Wang

Danny Batten

Levi Brown

Kyle Calloway

If Troup does get cut that leaves:

1 potential superstar - Spiller

1 solid DL - Carrington

1 backup LB - Moats

1 6th WR - Easley

Does 1 potential superstar make a draft class a success?

If Troup does get cut that leaves:

1 potential superstar - Spiller

1 solid DL - Carrington

1 backup LB - Moats

1 6th WR - Easley

Does 1 potential superstar make a draft class a success?

If your draft gives you two starters and two decent backups, that's a pretty good draft, I'd say.

I still want to see if Moats and Easley do, actually, make decent backups, though.