Redskins want new stadium

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“We’d love that opportunity,” McDonnell said. “If the right group of business and government folks came together to make an offer, it could happen.”

Oh, but wherever will they find the good 'folks' who are willing to toss around a billion or two of the taxpayers' money?

by the time completed youd be looking at about 25 years old.... but this may accelerate the debate on the name as weve heard local politicians make threats about cutting future funding if they dont change it.

Note that Snyder was already discussing a new stadium in 2007, when FedEx was only 10 years old.

PTR

Note that Snyder was already discussing a new stadium in 2007, when FedEx was only 10 years old.

PTR

Jack Kent Cook and then Dan Snyder paid for the stadium the Skins are playing in. Last year Dan Snyder paid a lot of money to upgrade the stadium by taking seats out and putting in a party area. Compare that to the bills owner who has never put in a nickel for the facility he plays in. The talk about building a new stadium in DC or Virginia is a fanciful idea that no one takes seriously, at least at this point.

Dan Snyder has garnered a lot of criticisms for a variety of reasons but he can't be criticized for not putting his own money where his mouth is. Compare that to the whiney owner of the Bills who will eventually auction off the team when he passes. I'll take a Danny Snyder type owner over a Ralph type owner any day of the week. The current HC and head of the football operation, Mike Shanahan, refused to even interview to work for the Bills and instead went to work for Dan Snyder. He made a smart decision and an easy decision.

Jack Kent Cook and then Dan Snyder paid for the stadium the Skins are playing in. Last year Dan Snyder paid a lot of money to upgrade the stadium by taking seats out and putting in a party area. Compare that to the bills owner who has never put in a nickel for the facility he plays in. The talk about building a new stadium in DC or Virginia is a fanciful idea that no one takes seriously, at least at this point.

Dan Snyder has garnered a lot of criticisms for a variety of reasons but he can't be criticized for not putting his own money where his mouth is. Compare that to the whiney owner of the Bills who will eventually auction off the team when he passes. I'll take a Danny Snyder type owner over a Ralph type owner any day of the week. The current HC and head of the football operation, Mike Shanahan, refused to even interview to work for the Bills and instead went to work for Dan Snyder. He made a smart decision and an easy decision.

Um, didn't Shanahan spend an entire day at OBD during that search process?

Um, didn't Shanahan spend an entire day at OBD during that search process?

The Bills did talk to Shanahn but he wasn't going to buffalo. At the time he was also in communication with Snyder and working on a deal there. He was never going to work in Buffalo. He was itching to get back into the football business but he wasn't going to work in Buffalo or for the owner because he had better options.

The Bills did talk to Shanahn but he wasn't going to buffalo. At the time he was also in communication with Snyder and working on a deal there. He was never going to work in Buffalo. He was itching to get back into the football business but he wasn't going to work in Buffalo or for the owner because he had better options.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest here, but you said he "refused to even interview" yet he spent an entire day in Orchard Park with the Bills.

Now, perhaps he was simply using that meeting for leverage, but that's not what you said. The only guy I recall who specifically turned down an interview request was Schottenheimer's son.

Sounds pretty crazy to want a new stadium that soon after getting a new stadium, and I am not a defender of Snyder at all, but a couple mitigating factors that make this more reasonable:

1) Dan Snyder was not the owner when the stadium was built, so inherited it with his purchase, and therefor isn't just looking for another handout and shiny new toy, but probably looking to have a stadium that fits his own ego, like that other guy in that other city in Texas.

2) The stadium is not in DC, but is in Maryland, and having it in DC (or Virginia) could be a priority, as well as give room for getting sides negotiating against each other.

3) The stadium isn't pure awesomeness on a number of fronts, and as such sort of falls into the Comiskey Park situation (the last new stadium before Camden changed the perspective).

4) With a 30 year or so wait on season tickets, going significantly larger could make a lot of sense, generate a lot of additional revenue, etc.

So despite the fact that it is still so new, and was even newer when he started talking about it, it is more reasonable an idea for a super franchise and super owner than it might seem on the surface.

Did Mr. Wilson run over your dog? And then back up and run over it again?

You can have Dan Snyder and the numerous employees who don't have a kind word to say about him. I defy you to find ONE ex-employee of Mr. Wilson that doesn't have a kind word to say about him.

But please, continue with your hate fest.

GO BILLS!!!

Did Mr. Wilson run over your dog? And then back up and run over it again?

You can have Dan Snyder and the numerous employees who don't have a kind word to say about him. I defy you to find ONE ex-employee of Mr. Wilson that doesn't have a kind word to say about him.

But please, continue with your hate fest.

GO BILLS!!!

Wade Phillips and the Late (in my opinion, great) John Butler weren't very fond of thier treatment by Old Man Wilson with the alligator arms and deep pockets.

People in the DC area want the Redskins to come back to DC, instead of being in their current location of Landover, MD.

I think it'd be cool to find a way to put a NFL stadium on the SW Waterfront with the Nationals Stadium, and the upcoming stadium for DC united.

FedEx Field is to stadiums as a trailer home is to mansions. It is an armpit that screams cheapness at every turn. They built that thing for pennies and took a step or two below builder's grade on the options.

And there is no 30 year wait on season tickets. That died a decade ago:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/02/27/the-redskins-season-ticket-pitch/

FedEx Field is to stadiums as a trailer home is to mansions. It is an armpit that screams cheapness at every turn. They built that thing for pennies and took a step or two below builder's grade on the options.

And there is no 30 year wait on season tickets. That died a decade ago:

http://www.washingto...n-ticket-pitch/

How else are the redskins going to keep up with the Jones

Snyder should be praised for using his own money to build it, except that it meant he would do it as cheap as possible until someone else will give him money to build a new one that will have all the luxuries

Not trying to get into a pissing contest here, but you said he "refused to even interview" yet he spent an entire day in Orchard Park with the Bills.

Now, perhaps he was simply using that meeting for leverage, but that's not what you said. The only guy I recall who specifically turned down an interview request was Schottenheimer's son.

I live in the Maryland/DC area. I am very familiar with that time frame and the GM/ HCing pursuit. The Washington Post after the Shanahan hiring by Snyder did stories on the saga. Trust me when I say that Shanahan had absolutely no interest in accepting the job in Buffalo. If you want to call his visit to Orchard Park an interview then that is fine with me. But is it a real interview when one party, under no circumstances, was going to accept the job in Buffalo? In some respects it was a charade by both the Bills and by Shanahan.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Snyder would periodically call Shanahan long before there was a job opening and ask him his advice regarding his franchise. It got to the point that it made Shanahan uncomfortable because he didn't want to, for ethical reasons, undercut the current incompetent Washington GM, Vince Cerrato. In additioin, Shanahan had a condition that the Bills would never accept. Whatever franchise Shanahan went to he demanded that Bruce Allen would also be allowed to join him and run the business side of the operation. Shanahan would have total control of the football operation and Bruce Allen would have control of the business side that included contracts and managing the cap.

Shanahan had no interest in joining a Wilson franchise that included a cash to cap business model when he had an opportunity to join a franchise in Washington where the owner ran a looser cash flow operatiion. Wilson would never allow Bruce Allen to take over the cap and cash flow management away from his Michigan preatorian guard. It was never going to happen.

Ralph Wilson is a known quantity. Shanahan would never tolerate the unceasing harrangues from the Michigan owner who knew little about the game. Dan Snyder does not now interfere with the football operation. He wants to be kept informed but he doesn't meddle into the operation like he used to do. The unsung hero with the franchise is Bruce Allen. He adroitly has managed the $36 Million cap penalty (split between last year and this year) administered by the league without allowing it to crimp the football side of the franchise.

After the Skins hired Shanahan Ralph ended up hiring Buddy Nix. The rest is history.

note: Russ Grimm, the assistant coach for the Cardinals, declined an offer to interview for the job

I don't consider this a urinating contest. Just a friendly exchange.