SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this one? i wouldn't call it 'nice', i'd call it pretty sad, so much hope for this kid, hopefully he puts it all together

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9547629/the-struggles-former-lottery-pick-jonny-flynn

Really nice piece on jonny Flynn I read the other day. Was going to post it, but too lazy to dig up this thread. Lets get the 2013 one going!

Edited by The Poojer

this one? i wouldn't call it 'nice', i'd call it pretty sad, so much hope for this kid, hopefully he puts it all together

http://www.grantland...ick-jonny-flynn

Yeah, that's the one. "Nice" as in a very quality in-depth piece. But I agree-- sad that Flynn has been a bust.

To me, Flynn is the posterboy for why you stay in school all 4 years. Probably would have gone lower in the draft, but could have come in with a more mature game, and not flamed out before his second contract if he had stayed.

Caleb Joseph was a good signing for the Orange. Another top 50 prospect, and a good insurance policy at point guard in case Ennis leaves early. Joseph and MCullough already makes 2014 a very strong class, and if we could land Justin Whitehead that would be incredible.

Isaiah Whitehead? The recruiting experts on the SU boards seem to think that there is little to no chance that Whitehead goes to SU.

Isaiah Whitehead? The recruiting experts on the SU boards seem to think that there is little to no chance that Whitehead goes to SU.

Wishful thinking. I think he's a Zona lean right now. I'm actually not too worried about picking up another G for 2015. I'm confident we'll land Isaiah Briscoe in 2015. Buss Patterson, Silent G, Joseph, and Cooney can all provide depth at the point.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Cuse, struggling mightily north of the border against Carleton, down 32-23 at half and according to twitter, getting hammered on the glass, CJ hasn't scored either....

Didn't realize, Carleton has won the Basketball 'national championship' 9 times between 2002 &2013, so they are a formidable opponent

Edited by The Poojer

Jerami Grant is going to be a beast this year. I think he has grown an inch and a half over the offseason, and has put on 10-15 pounds of muscle. Ennis definitely looks as advertised. Most shockingly impressive players, IMO, were freshmen BJ Johnson and Ron "Buss" Patterson. Johnson with a silky smooth jump shot, and Buss a tough guard who can handle the ball, see the floor well, and has a pretty nice shot from outside. Mike gibinije looked lost out there. Definitely not a point guard. Good warm up against some good competition in Canada.

My buddy was raving amour BJ Johnson. Good to hear that he may contribute.

We need gbinije to play well -- no one else plays the 1, right? Need a backup to Ennis.

I think both Cooney and Patterson could play the point. I also think BJ Johnson will get his minutes at the 2. This is the deepest SU team, at the forward position, that I can ever remember. We haven't even seen Tyler Roberson yet.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

if he meets the qualifications and the issue is with the ncaa being too busy...then there is a real problem. Not that he should get preferential treatment, but any student trying to get qualifications should have their answers well before the beginning of the semester

And it looks like we may not see him in orange anytime soon....

if he meets the qualifications and the issue is with the ncaa being too busy...then there is a real problem. Not that he should get preferential treatment, but any student trying to get qualifications should have their answers well before the beginning of the semester

Oh yeah? Tell that to Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel. They had to wait a collective 28 hours to learn their fate.

Yeah, I have a real problem with Roberson missing classes while the NCAA figures this out. This will put him at a disadvantage academically.

• 1 month later...

I did watch the game and he looked great...granted it was only one game but the whole team looked energized, Evan Turner played like people thought he could, Thad Lewis was a beast out there, Lavoy Allen was actually chasing down balls...I am glad they are sitting Noel to ensure he is 100%, if Philly fans can stomach a rough year of ups and downs, this young team could turn into something special.

You guys see MCW's debut with the Sixers? He almost had a quadruple double against the Heat. Really hoping he turns into an NBA star.

You guys see MCW's debut with the Sixers? He almost had a quadruple double against the Heat. Really hoping he turns into an NBA star.

Did I read correctly that he hit 4-6 from three? If so, MCW must have put some practice time on his jumper. I don't remember him hitting 4 in a game while he was at the Cuse

I know most of you aren't local but I got season tickets this year. Let me know of there are games your interested in and I may be willing to part with them. Duke unc and Indiana aren't available though.

It is going to be interesting to see what kind of crowds they get for these games. I bet the Duke game could set a record.

It is going to be interesting to see what kind of crowds they get for these games. I bet the Duke game could set a record.

A friend of mine called the exact minute single game tickets went on sale. By the time got through, the only seats remaining (for Duke) were in the upper deck....way past where the blue curtain used to hang. He decided to watch the game at home. I believe some records will be set.

I know most of you aren't local but I got season tickets this year. Let me know of there are games your interested in and I may be willing to part with them. Duke unc and Indiana aren't available though.

Any chance you want to part with Pitt tickets...Saturday, 1/28/14? If so, PM me.

Did I read correctly that he hit 4-6 from three? If so, MCW must have put some practice time on his jumper. I don't remember him hitting 4 in a game while he was at the Cuse

That's what shocked me too. I think he really put in some work on his jumper-- good for him. It's about time a Syracuse player didn't bust out of the NBA. (Wonder where Fab Melo is these days....)