EJ hurt knee according to BB.com

I don't get why it's so hard for this to be accepted.... If he's healthy and gives you the best chance to win, play him!!!! It would mean that EJ with less experience is better then Kolb whom is more experienced.... After all, isn't that what's happened to this point anyways?

yup. But people can be dumb sometimes.

Everyone is jumping off bridges right now. Put the shotgun down and take yourself away from the ledge. It'll all be ok soon enough.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about I let Coach Marrone explain it to you:

"The problem I have is again a lot of it is how he comes back and again there goes the variable thing, when he comes back, did he miss time? No one ever really start off where they left off."

In other words, he will need time after he returns to get back into form. So if he can't practice until the week of the Pats game then how can he possibly be ready by game time?

Okay, so Marrone told the media he expects EJ to regress. Therefore, EJ will regress. Therefore, EJ will regress to the point where he's no longer better than Kolb/Tuel. This is what you believe?

And you believe that said regression won't--in some part--be made up for in the week of practice before week one which he's now expected to be healthy for (as I expected him to minutes after this news broke yesterday)?

Like everyone, I want the Bills to win. This is doubly true in Week 1 against the Patsies.

The decision between Kolb and Manuel should be put into some context. First, we aren't choosing between Andrew Luck and Tom Brady. Kolb is an extremely limited talent by NFL standards. In the 5 games he was the QB of record for Arizona in 2012, he finished in the bottom 10 in Total QBR in 4 of those weeks. Fitz even outplayed him in 4 of those 5 weeks. Although the Cards beat the Pats in Week 2, his play was not good and was bailed out by their defense. I'm not a hater. I'd love Kolb to be stellar this year if he starts for the Bills but I don't think his history shows he will be.

The point was made earlier that Manuel is no Luck, RGIII or Russell Wilson. I actually think Wilson is a good comparison for Bills' fans. Wilson started off the season very poorly. He was bottom 10 in the league in QBR in 4 of the first 8 games he played last season. His experience practicing with and playing against other teams' #1s helped him improve quickly. It helped that he had a great defense and a great running game to support him.

If Manuel starts, like Wilson, he would have beat out a recently acquired veteran in camp (Wilson v. Flynn). Like Wilson, he brings leadership skills and smarts to the position. Like Wilson he was not that highly regarded before the draft but had high "intangibles". Unlike Wilson, Manuel brings significant physical attributes in terms of size and arm strength.

The coaches will obviously make the call they think is best for week 1. I have seen enough this preseason and last year from Kolb and Manuel. IF he is healthy to practice for week 1, I think Manuel should be the starter. Things may be bumpy along the road but I get the sense that he has the mental make up to rebound from failure and grow. Hopefully, a quick-paced offense, stellar run game and an improved defense buffers him from some mistakes.

After reading quite a few of these posts I have determined Bills fans are either at one extreme or the other regarding this team. I cannot figure out for the life of me why all of this sudden panic has set in. Granted I wasn't that impressed with Kolb when he played in Philly. There is still plenty of time for EJ to come back and play this season. I don't believe in any card game that anyone shows their hand just yet. That maybe what the Bills PR machine is doing right now.I dont think that we should believe the season is over because of one player. This is a team sport and not an individual sport. An O-line, more specifically a good O-Line can make even the most mediocre QB look good IMHO. This team could very well be the surprise team of the new season. By that I mean surprisingly good. At this point despite what has happened I am still very optimistic about this 2013 edition of the Buffalo Bills. So let not your hearts be troubled. Everyone starts out undefeated on opening day, yes, even including the Buffalo Bills.

Well except when it comes to soccer threads.

I just chalk it up as part of your charm ;)

Besides, the haters in the soccer threads have been AWOL lately...it's good to have someone picking up the slack.

After reading quite a few of these posts I have determined Bills fans are either at one extreme or the other regarding this team. I cannot figure out for the life of me why all of this sudden panic has set in.

Welcome to TBD.

Don't know if this had been posted but buried the EJ posts, looks like he has been ruled out of practice as well for remainder of preseason.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/18/ej-manuel-back-on-campus/

Precaution so he can be 100% ready to start the regular season. He's still attending all meetings and will get mental reps from the side.

He's by far our best option despite missing the rest of the preseason and its not even close.

Don't know if this had been posted but buried the EJ posts, looks like he has been ruled out of practice as well for remainder of preseason.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/18/ej-manuel-back-on-campus/

I'm not the happiest about this. I thought he might get behind center after Saturday. Although we won't know, practices close to the public after this week. He could end up practicing, but I highly doubt things work that way.

I just chalk it up as part of your charm ;)

Besides, the haters in the soccer threads have been AWOL lately...it's good to have someone picking up the slack.

Well then why is it when I pop in to pick up the slack the thread is deleted? But it does kind

of make sense. It's like when someone nicks a soccer player he falls to the ground writhing in pain. LOL

Well then why is it when I pop in to pick up the slack the thread is deleted? But it does kind

of make sense. It's like when someone nicks a soccer player he falls to the ground writhing in pain. LOL

LOL...now that was funny.

After reading quite a few of these posts I have determined Bills fans are either at one extreme or the other regarding this team. I cannot figure out for the life of me why all of this sudden panic has set in. Granted I wasn't that impressed with Kolb when he played in Philly. There is still plenty of time for EJ to come back and play this season. I don't believe in any card game that anyone shows their hand just yet. That maybe what the Bills PR machine is doing right now.I dont think that we should believe the season is over because of one player. This is a team sport and not an individual sport. An O-line, more specifically a good O-Line can make even the most mediocre QB look good IMHO. This team could very well be the surprise team of the new season. By that I mean surprisingly good. At this point despite what has happened I am still very optimistic about this 2013 edition of the Buffalo Bills. So let not your hearts be troubled. Everyone starts out undefeated on opening day, yes, even including the Buffalo Bills.

Stop making sense.

@pham1717

Doctor told Marrone that Manuel's procedure went well. Marrone is going to speak to the doctor about EJ maybe coming back sooner

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is unfolding precisely the way I expected it to.

You can take what Marrone says, what the reporters are saying, what EJ's saying, what the ESPN guys think, what the other players say, even what "doctors" here on this message board think: we have no idea what's going on.

Follow your gut on this one.

For the first time in as long as I can remember, we have a coaching crew that's acutely on-point when it comes to gamesmanship. It's evident by the way the team plays, how the coaches talk to the media and by instances where they say one thing, do something else.

There was no way this was an "injury" that would have sidelined him for any period of time, whatsoever.

If I'm wrong, I'll regretfully eat crow. Not because I have to be right all the time, but because our "franchise" QB has suffered an injury. But I don't foresee this being the case.

• 3 weeks later...