Rogers after two practice games

Beerball

You don't like the way Summers has looked, Coach Tuesday? While I really like our WRs, I favor keeping him over a 7th WR. We may have some opponents where we really want him, and he's shown good ST play so far.

Edited by Matt in KC

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think TJ Graham is a lock to make the team by any stretch. SJ Woods Goodwin most definitely. Right now I would than keep Sampson and Easley making 5. And you still have Kaufman Rogers Smith and Hogan. I like them all right now more than Graham. He is small, and where is the upside? Every receiver we have on the roster right now has NFL potential. The talent level on this roster in general is way higher than what we have had for years. If Graham doesn't show a lot against the Redskins, I think he gets cut.

Sampson? Seriously? Why? He's done OK but Easley, Hogan and Kaufman have all shown more IMO. Is he tearing it up on ST or something?

Kaufman and Hogan can be as easily snapped up by another team as Rogers. Do you think no one else knows how these guys are doing? Is Rogers really worth keeping or is this more based on his rep coming in?

PTR

Hogans doing what he did last year but with less national attention and we raced in and picked him up in november(?)

Yes, I think he's less likely to be scooped up fast.

I don't see an active (first page) generic WR thread, so this is probably the place to post. I'll make it sounds like it's about Rogers. B-)

----

I've seen both Goodwin and Woods very aggressive about blocking, especially on running plays. Kudos to our coaching staff! I would have just credited the player, but both of them are off-the-charts for effort for rookies, the best I've seen. Because of this, I suspect it's coaching, not just the players we happened to land.

Da'Rick doesn't seem to be "there" yet in blocking or ST play. Goodwin and Woods are two great models for him, and any young player.

You don't like the way Summers has looked, Coach Tuesday? While I really like our WRs, I favor keeping him over a 7th WR. We may have some opponents where we really want him, and he's shown good ST play so far.

Summers is a bowling ball with no athleticism or lateral movement skills. Talk about guys you can pick up off of the street during the season if needed... he is strictly a replacement-level talent and to keep him over WR prospects with high ceilings, who undoubtedly will be snatched up by other WR teams (esp. Easley and Rogers), would be a travesty in my opinion. Esp. if the Bills are really going to run the K-Gun which did not rely on a fullback. Stick to the one back sets and keep the talented speedy WRs. That's how I'd do it at least.

This board has a lot of hype on UDFA Rogers. A guy some teams needing a WR passed over for camp fodder and Niners.

Could the Bills be doing this? Maybe. But if he was that good they wanted to hold on to him they would if they still see room for improving then PS males the .most sense. When we look at the next 4 years we seem set at WR. Its bard to believe they see so much in him they believe he is only PS material if they value him at all.

I generally agree with this. Marrone just seems to be way to straightforward to try to sneak someone on to a PS. Rogers apparently has all of the physical talent but lacks the consistency and emotional maturity to play at the level required. I am beginning to believe that he may end up in the heap of cuts and not even make the PS.

It's really sad to think this kid has the talent necessary to have set himself up with a very solid college degree (for free) and to earn more in a few years than most make in a lifetime. This is mostly because he is short sighted about his future and unmotivated by the outcome.

Got lots of press early, very little in the games so far. With WR's sitting out last night's game you'd think he would get more of an opportunity. My 100% speculation is that they are going to try to sneak him onto the practice squad so they're not giving him much of an opportunity in the games. Whatcha think, is this possible or does his practice play not warrant more game time? What do the folks who have watched some of the practices think?

Interesting analysis, but I can't imagine they sneak him onto the practice squad given how many teams tried to sign him as a UDFA.

Summers is a bowling ball with no athleticism or lateral movement skills. Talk about guys you can pick up off of the street during the season if needed... he is strictly a replacement-level talent and to keep him over WR prospects with high ceilings, who undoubtedly will be snatched up by other WR teams (esp. Easley and Rogers), would be a travesty in my opinion. Esp. if the Bills are really going to run the K-Gun which did not rely on a fullback. Stick to the one back sets and keep the talented speedy WRs. That's how I'd do it at least.

Totally agree with this take... :thumbsup:

Hogans doing what he did last year but with less national attention and we raced in and picked him up in november(?)

Yes, I think he's less likely to be scooped up fast.

Agreed...

I find it a little interesting that some folks harp on Rogers not being Drafted after getting in trouble, and only really playing one full year of big time College football, yet they forget Hogan was cut by a Miami team desperate...I mean REALLY desperate for WR talent...

I don't think Hogan is all that...I think WR's like him are a dime a dozen...At least Kaufman brings a more rare physical package...But Kaufman should pass through waivers no problem...I don't see any way Easley gets cut...So in the end I still think it comes down to Smith, Rogers, Hogan and Kaufman for that last spot...And Rogers is far and away the most talented of the 4...He's also the most raw...But that's to be expected considering his recent past...The truth is that #6 WR will be inactive most Sundays...Especially early on...So Rogers will have at least another month of work assuming there is not a rash of big injuries...

I still think for this team, at this point, keeping Rogers is the smart move...Sure it's a slight gamble...But why not gamble a bit now and hedge your bet by keeping Kaufman and another WR on the PS? Just makes the most sense to me... B-)

My take is Summers is playing well as a FB and even better on special teams. He gives the Bills a dimension they don't get from other players. If they don't keep a FB, then we've learned the coaches are fully embracing subterfuge. Why spend time on plays with a FB if they aren't going to be in the playbook (or is it just for our defenses benefit)? Or perhaps he'll be the final cut, and we just abandon the position to make those last tough roster decisions. I'm just saying I think having a FB gives us more choices than keeping 7 WRs and no FB.

And no way would I keep Summers over Easley. But Hogan, Kaufman and Rogers? Yes, I like them all, but I think Summers helps us more now. I'd love to have any of the other guys on the PS (or of course the final 53, if we can fit them).

I really don't understand a lot of posters here. The posters that for the past two years have been saying it takes two to three years for WRs to blossom and become all they are capable of. Posters who defended Graham last year and still cut him a lot of slack this year. Yet, they are ready to give up on Rogers. He is for real, in preseason and practice he has shown flashes of brilliance. It is just a matter of effort and maturity whether or not he will become what he is capable of being, a superstar.

As someone mentioned, Hogan and Sampson's ceiling is pretty much Roger's floor.

Smith is just an average receiver at best. Kaufman should be able to make it to the PS and give the Bills a chance to see what he is really capable of. I believe this is a rebuilding year, there is no Super Bowl in our future this year. It is about next year and the future. Forget the average receivers this year and take a gamble on the future next year and the year after when we will be a legitimate force in the league if Manuel works out as we all hope. Roger is a gamble we would be foolish to give up on too soon. Give him the chance we have given Graham (who still has not proven himself yet either). He have Stevie,Woods,Goodwin(plus ST value) and Easley's last shot to be the WRs this year. Give Graham and Rogers the chance to show us what they can become. Fifth and sixth receivers are not going make a huge impact on our season this year and should be considered our developmental projects for the future, not just adequate cogs in a machine like Smith,Hogan and Sampson.

I really don't understand a lot of posters here. The posters that for the past two years have been saying it takes two to three years for WRs to blossom and become all they are capable of. Posters who defended Graham last year and still cut him a lot of slack this year. Yet, they are ready to give up on Rogers. He is for real, in preseason and practice he has shown flashes of brilliance. It is just a matter of effort and maturity whether or not he will become what he is capable of being, a superstar.

Smith is just an average receiver at best. Kaufman should be able to make it to the PS and give the Bills a chance to see what he is really capable of. I believe this is a rebuilding year, there is no Super Bowl in our future this year. It is about next year and the future. Forget the average receivers this year and take a gamble on the future next year and the year after when we will be a legitimate force in the league if Manuel works out as we all hope. Roger is a gamble we would be foolish to give up on too soon. Give him the chance we have given Graham (who still has not proven himself yet either). He have Stevie,Woods,Goodwin(plus ST value) and Easley's last shot to be the WRs this year. Give Graham and Rogers the chance to show us what they can become. Fifth and sixth receivers are not going make a huge impact on our season this year and should be considered our developmental projects for the future, not just adequate cogs in a machine like Smith,Hogan and Sampson.

Excellent Post.

My take is Summers is playing well as a FB and even better on special teams. He gives the Bills a dimension they don't get from other players. If they don't keep a FB, then we've learned the coaches are fully embracing subterfuge. Why spend time on plays with a FB if they aren't going to be in the playbook (or is it just for our defenses benefit)? Or perhaps he'll be the final cut, and we just abandon the position to make those last tough roster decisions. I'm just saying I think having a FB gives us more choices than keeping 7 WRs and no FB.

And no way would I keep Summers over Easley. But Hogan, Kaufman and Rogers? Yes, I like them all, but I think Summers helps us more now. I'd love to have any of the other guys on the PS (or of course the final 53, if we can fit them).

They could use Dorin Dickerson as a hybrid TE/FB

They could use Dorin Dickerson as a hybrid TE/FB

I haven't seen any of the practices, just the 2 preseason games. In those I've seen more from Summers than Dickerson. If we cut Summers and Lee Smith or Gragg, maybe they'd keep Dickerson to provide backup both of those positions. Can DD block well enough?

In response to the now closed thread------

Actually the reason Rogers signed with buffalo....

He developed a good relationship with robert woods having the same agent and working out together pre draft.

Woods got drafted by buffalo---Rogers picked buffalo.

Agree 100%... :thumbsup:

There's a new sheriff in town. Get with the program, or get lost. For a NFL head coach to publicly call out his player for "getting down" and "feeling sorry for himself" are pretty strong indicators this guy is not above minimal team standards and expectations, now matter how talented he may be, and will not be given an exception.

Just because I don't think Rogers will make not make the team, does not mean I don't think he'll be a NFL WR with some success.

The fact is, we have to play our best guys right NOW, and Rogers (from what we've seen) isn't going to make it into that group. We can stuff him on PS, but like others have said, someone else is going to pick him up.

That's not saying that Rogers sucks. It's just saying that he's not ready to contribute as much as others on our squad are. The fact that another team will take him off of PS tells you that he's got potential.

Just because I don't think Rogers will make not make the team, does not mean I don't think he'll be a NFL WR with some success.

The fact is, we have to play our best guys right NOW, and Rogers (from what we've seen) isn't going to make it into that group. We can stuff him on PS, but like others have said, someone else is going to pick him up.

That's not saying that Rogers sucks. It's just saying that he's not ready to contribute as much as others on our squad are. The fact that another team will take him off of PS tells you that he's got potential.

So to clarify, because you don't think Rogers will make not make the team, does not mean I don't think he won't be an NFL WR failure? :nana: