Rogers after two practice games

Beerball

http://blogs.buffalo...ut-consistency/

Looks like Rogers needs consistency.

Thanks for the link.

Marrone on Rogers: “With Da’Rick you see a lot of potential out there where he can go ahead and make plays and physically beat people,” said Marrone. ”Then other times he’s getting down a little bit or maybe feeling a little sorry for himself. Whatever it may be then you don’t see that consistency in him. Right now it’s a little bit up and down. Again we’ve just got to get it where it’s constantly going up and he should be a fine player.”

Not surprised given he really only played one year of big time College FB.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're the Bills and you keep 6 receivers (which I think is the upper limit they'll carry) and you've already got SJ, Woods, Graham and Goodwin, that leaves at the most room for two more. You will pick from a group that includes Brad Smith, Hogan, Kaufman, Rogers, Sampson and Easley. Keeping in mind that these guys will have to contribute on special teams as well, how do you rate these 6 receivers? If you genuinely think Rogers is in the top two, then keep him. If not, cut him, and if you think he has potential, try to sign him to PS. But at this point, to take him over, say, Hogan or Easley, you'd be choosing based on potential. You want to gamble on him possibly living up to that? Or do you keep one of the guys who've been reliable as all hell throughout the off season, training camp and exhibition games? I would choose to go with who can play right now and let some other team gamble on potential.

FWIW, I think every single receiver we cut is going to be grabbed by another team. This is an amazingly talented group this year. So I'm preparing myself for how I'll feel when I see them helping another team. But we can't keep 'em all.

If you're the Bills and you keep 6 receivers (which I think is the upper limit they'll carry) and you've already got SJ, Woods, Graham and Goodwin, that leaves at the most room for two more. You will pick from a group that includes Brad Smith, Hogan, Kaufman, Rogers, Sampson and Easley. Keeping in mind that these guys will have to contribute on special teams as well, how do you rate these 6 receivers? If you genuinely think Rogers is in the top two, then keep him. If not, cut him, and if you think he has potential, try to sign him to PS. But at this point, to take him over, say, Hogan or Easley, you'd be choosing based on potential. You want to gamble on him possibly living up to that? Or do you keep one of the guys who've been reliable as all hell throughout the off season, training camp and exhibition games? I would choose to go with who can play right now and let some other team gamble on potential.

FWIW, I think every single receiver we cut is going to be grabbed by another team. This is an amazingly talented group this year. So I'm preparing myself for how I'll feel when I see them helping another team. But we can't keep 'em all.

I agree with this. But guys like hogan and Kaufman are a dime a dozen. Same with Easley really. if they think Rogers has randy moss-type potential, I think you have to cut the more TC productive guys like hogan and Easley.

I agree with this. But guys like hogan and Kaufman are a dime a dozen. Same with Easley really. if they think Rogers has randy moss-type potential, I think you have to cut the more TC productive guys like hogan and Easley.

I think everyone who has mentioned Rogers and Moss in the same sentence has been doing the kid a real disservice. Not sure if the SI writer was the first to do it but the comparison caught on like wildfire. He's fighting to make a NFL roster and being compared to a hall of famer.

Again, keep in mind that the #6 WR is not going to dress for the games, so he is not going to help the offense for his possession or help the ST as a gunner or returner. If they keep six and Easley or Hogan is #6, you may as well keep Rogers.

And after being asked about Da'Rick, the last sentence of Marrone's presser today was:

"We just have to get it to where he’s constantly going up and he should be a fine player."

While it's far from a guarantee, it didn't sound like Marrone was contemplating Rogers not making the team.

And after being asked about Da'Rick, the last sentence of Marrone's presser today was:

"We just have to get it to where he’s constantly going up and he should be a fine player."

While it's far from a guarantee, it didn't sound like Marrone was contemplating Rogers not making the team.

Coach sounds frustrated with him to me, calling him out for getting down and feeling sorry for himself, unlike his fellow rookie counterparts. Unless he turns it around and shows Marrone what he wants to see, sounds to me like coach is very much contemplating cutting him.

Coach sounds frustrated with him to me, calling him out for getting down and feeling sorry for himself, unlike his fellow rookie counterparts. Unless he turns it around and shows Marrone what he wants to see, sounds to me like coach is very much contemplating cutting him.

The part that makes me disagree was his very last sentence, in fact his very last two words.

I could be reading into it too much but it seems like the fact that he ended on a positive note means something.

The part that makes me disagree was his very last sentence, in fact his very last two words.

I could be reading into it too much but it seems like the fact that he ended on a positive note means something.

I take it as he could be a fine player somewhere, but not here if he doesn't get his head on straight, and soon!

This decision is a no-brainer to me in its simplest form. Kaufman and Hogan can be placed on the practice squad. Da'Rick can't. Keep Rogers.

Kaufman and Hogan can be as easily snapped up by another team as Rogers. Do you think no one else knows how these guys are doing? Is Rogers really worth keeping or is this more based on his rep coming in?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Again, keep in mind that the #6 WR is not going to dress for the games, so he is not going to help the offense for his possession or help the ST as a gunner or returner. If they keep six and Easley or Hogan is #6, you may as well keep Rogers.

Incorrect. When a WR has a minor injury requiring rest and treatment he will be rested and made inactive and that 6th WR will need to play. All players on roster need to be able to play or should not be on 53 man roster.

Kaufman and Hogan can be as easily snapped up by another team as Rogers. Do you think no one else knows how these guys are doing? Is Rogers really worth keeping or is this more based on his rep coming in?

PTR

I live in Miami and from what I understand Hogan was an okay practice player but disappeared in the preseason matchups. Kaufman didn't do anything special enough, IMO, to be placed on someone's active roster. Especially since he has to learn a new system.

I take it as he could be a fine player somewhere, but not here if he doesn't get his head on straight, and soon!

Agree. The positive note is coach-speak. What Marrone is saying is:

Da'Rick, I want to see consistent maximal effort every play, no sulking, no walking back to the huddle, no inattention to where you're supposed to be. I see that before the 53-cutdown and I'd like you to stay. I don't, and you'll get your chance to be fine player somewhere, but not on our roster.

The info I'm missing is, what has Da'Rick done on ST? Because both Easley and Hogan have taken a lot of ST snaps. It's a hard fact of life that past the #4 WR ST play matters.

Easley looks very good in preseason, I would keep him (if his heart is ok) over Brad Smith if I had to choose only one.

This is where I come out. I see a lot of talk about letting Easley walk, including by Joe B. I disagree. Yes we've seen flashes from Easley before but not like this. This preseason he reminds me of Eric Moulds when he finally put it all together - he's bigger, faster, and more aware than everyone else on the field right now. He looks that good to me - good enough to potentially be a number one receiver. I don't normally get that fired up about offensive players in the preseason. Easley looks like a stud. And he's doing everything right - he's hustling, both into and out of the huddle, in his routes, and on special teams. By all accounts he's been one of the first ones on the practice field during camp. And he's been the most productive WR during the games. Frankly I don't know what else the guy is supposed to do. I think he should make the team, and I think - and here is where I get a little nuts - he should start opposite Stevie, ahead of Graham (who has never done ANYTHING, btw, in preseason or regular season games). Easley finally looks like a long-term keeper to me.

And frankly I'd keep Brad Smith or another 7th WR and cut the damn fullback position. Why have the position if you don't have an NFL-caliber player who can play it on the roster?

I don't think TJ Graham is a lock to make the team by any stretch. SJ Woods Goodwin most definitely. Right now I would than keep Sampson and Easley making 5. And you still have Kaufman Rogers Smith and Hogan. I like them all right now more than Graham. He is small, and where is the upside? Every receiver we have on the roster right now has NFL potential. The talent level on this roster in general is way higher than what we have had for years. If Graham doesn't show a lot against the Redskins, I think he gets cut.

This is where I come out. I see a lot of talk about letting Easley walk, including by Joe B. I disagree. Yes we've seen flashes from Easley before but not like this. This preseason he reminds me of Eric Moulds when he finally put it all together - he's bigger, faster, and more aware than everyone else on the field right now. He looks that good to me - good enough to potentially be a number one receiver. I don't normally get that fired up about offensive players in the preseason. Easley looks like a stud. And he's doing everything right - he's hustling, both into and out of the huddle, in his routes, and on special teams. By all accounts he's been one of the first ones on the practice field during camp. And he's been the most productive WR during the games. Frankly I don't know what else the guy is supposed to do. I think he should make the team, and I think - and here is where I get a little nuts - he should start opposite Stevie, ahead of Graham (who has never done ANYTHING, btw, in preseason or regular season games). Easley finally looks like a long-term keeper to me.

And frankly I'd keep Brad Smith or another 7th WR and cut the damn fullback position. Why have the position if you don't have an NFL-caliber player who can play it on the roster?

I agree Easley looks different, and much better than ever. He looks comfortable and relaxed. He's getting open, and is catching the ball.

We think alike about Easley. He's also by all reports been taking a lot of ST snaps and excelling there, I also agree about Graham. I think Woods will start opposite Stevie, but I've been wondering if Goodwin doesn't make Graham expendable - if he doesn't get healthy and hang onto balls that come his way, I've wondered if he could be a surprise cut.