Was anyone there 40 years ago today,,,

...when the Bills inaugurated Rich Stadium in a preseason loss to the Redskins? Though I missed that one (was in Montreal watching Henry Aaron hit homer 703 in Jarry Park), I was lucky to see a few of O.J.'s big games that year. It was a very, very different feel from the Old Rockpile, much as I liked that place.

Sat in the top row with my parents. so we could look back at the parking lot. The traffic was so bad there were still cars and buses pulling into the parking lot in the 3rd quarter. I still have the commemorative coin and card they handed out.

My brother and I were there; teenagers using our part time earnings to buy upper sideline tickets and so excited to be Bills' season ticket holders. I think I still have the souvenir coin in a box somewhere.

We were sure we would live in Buffalo forever and have those tickets forever. Times and life changed with us moving out of state after college but we are once again season ticket holders (last year was our first) even though we are in NJ and VA.

Lots of memories from "Rich Stadium" and "The Ralph" and we both agree that this is one of the best stadiums to watch a game at (we own tickets for the game and want the best views at the most affordable prices). We do not need bells and whistles ... We need football and want our team to win; so we are both hopeful that 2013 will require us to buy a couple of tickets in January!

...when the Bills inaugurated Rich Stadium in a preseason loss to the Redskins? Though I missed that one (was in Montreal watching Henry Aaron hit homer 703 in Jarry Park), I was lucky to see a few of O.J.'s big games that year. It was a very, very different feel from the Old Rockpile, much as I liked that place.

Yep, I still have the Coin that they gave away that night.

post-1597-0-20835600-1376743268_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I went to the Bills-Fins game that year, where we lost 17-0, I believe, same score as our drubbing by the Johnny U-led Colts the year before, which was my first Bills game. It took me 3 years to see the Bills score a point when we beat Chicago (with Butkus) the next season. Should have realized the long haul I was in for then.....

Yep was there also.Opening kick off ran all the way back ever hear Oh S..t from 75k fans at once. Still have the coin and ticket stub. also been on this board since day 1 was on the old one also the rc board.and a founding member of the Central Ohio Bills Backers=coobpaul.

not lucky enough to be at that one, but my parents did take me to a game that year- an incredibly boring and depressing shutout loss to Miami. We were in the front row of the what is now known as the Rockpile, but the atmosphere was that of a church. it wasn't until several years later that i first saw a glass bottle launched from on high, shattering on the head of a hapless spectator in that part of the stadium.

Edited by jester43

I can't say that I was there BUT if I was I would have been carrying my Rockpile '65 Champs Seat Cushion, my over the shoulder cooler, and a small radio. I'm guessing my ticket would have been in the $25-35 range, and that would be for a good seat! No doubt, I would be turned away today. :censored:

I was there, I was 13, I think... I sort of remember it. One thing I remember at halftime there was a punt pass and kick competition. I also remember that there was a kid from Pennsylvania that won after throwing a 70 yard pass. I want to know if any of that is my true recollection? Was that kid Jim Kelly? I have been wondering about it for years.

I think the final score was Wash 34 Bflo 17, is that right? I used to have the coin. 40 years, long time. Hope we get a SuperBowl win before I pass.

That's a great story!

That was nothing. I used to pedal my way to Crystal Beach on my 20" banana bike. (Anyone remember those?) Back then the customs agents thought nothing of letting me in. Can you imagine an unaccompanied 13 year old on a bike trying to get into Canada now?

PTR

Yes. I was there. i still have the commemorative items from the game. i thought the Bills would have won a Super Bowl by now. I hope I live long enough to see one. I used to live so close to the stadium I could hear the crowd cheering.

RWS is now the 9th oldest stadium in the NFL.

List of older stadiums:

Gator Bowl, JAX

Soldier Field, CHI

Lambeau, GB

Mile High, DEN

Arrowhead, KC

Oakland Coliseum, OAK

Quallcom, SD

Candlestick, SF

(thanks to billsfanmiami(oh) for the correction)

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That was nothing. I used to pedal my way to Crystal Beach on my 20" banana bike. (Anyone remember those?) Back then the customs agents thought nothing of letting me in. Can you imagine an unaccompanied 13 year old on a bike trying to get into Canada now?

PTR

I used to do that too! I had that bike until I was in my early 20s too, it was a huffy lol. I lived in Amherst and it took a good amount of time (like 2 hours), When I was like 5 or 6 my friend was moving to Amherst (We lived in on Deerfield near Kensington), we rode up 33 (the Kensington expressway part) as it was still being built. Got off at the Eggert exit and out Kensington to Snyder. Quite a little trip of many at that age.

Present. Got to our seats just in time to see Herb Mul-key christen the stadium with his opening kickoff return for a TD.

What a season that was, though. OJ made that stadium his own personal playground that year. Good times.

GO BILLS!!!

Sat in the top row with my parents. so we could look back at the parking lot. The traffic was so bad there were still cars and buses pulling into the parking lot in the 3rd quarter. I still have the commemorative coin and card they handed out.

i played in a impromptu touch football game on the asphalt waitng for the traffic to clear after the game. i'm thinking we waited a couple hours to get out of the parking lot but it might have just seemed that long. they fixed it pretty well for the next game.

PTR

With sissy bar?

GO BILLS!!!

RWS is now the 10th oldest stadium in the NFL.

List of older stadiums:

Riverfront, CIN

Gator Bowl, JAX

Soldier Field, CHI

Lambeau, GB

Mile High, DEN

Arrowhead, KC

Oakland Coliseum, OAK

Quallcom, SD

Candlestick, SF

PTR

Cincy is wrong. Paul Brown Stadium is fairly new.

With sissy bar?

GO BILLS!!!

Oh yeah, and gull wing handlebars.

PTR

Cincy is wrong. Paul Brown Stadium is fairly new.

Ooops. You are correct. And you would know living in Ohio.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

i played in a impromptu touch football game on the asphalt waitng for the traffic to clear after the game. i'm thinking we waited a couple hours to get out of the parking lot but it might have just seemed that long. they fixed it pretty well for the next game.

Traffic was reported to be epically bad around the stadium that night.

I guess it might have been the first time 80,000+ people ever gathered for anything in Western New York.

I was a kid when it opened but heard a funny story from someone who was. They were sitting at about the 50 yard line, a few rows up from the field.

It was about 45 minutes before kickoff and the players were warming up. One of the 'Skins players was walking by and spit. So this little old lady stands up and started scolding the guy for "spitting on our nice new field. Where are your manners young man?". So the player somehow keeps a straight face and says "I'm sorry ma'am. Thank you for reminding me". The whole section is laughing. Sounds like everybody was having a good time.

Got to that game at 3:30 to beat the rush. I believe we were one of the first 100 tailgaters in the history of Rich Stadium. If I remember correctly Herb Mul-Kay ran back the opening kickoff for Washington.

Got to that game at 3:30 to beat the rush. I believe we were one of the first 100 tailgaters in the history of Rich Stadium. If I remember correctly Herb Mul-Kay ran back the opening kickoff for Washington.

Yes you are right, wasn't there a thread about this a year or 2 ago?

Edited by bowery4

List of older stadiums:

Gator Bowl, JAX

Soldier Field, CHI

Lambeau, GB

Mile High, DEN

Arrowhead, KC

Oakland Coliseum, OAK

Quallcom, SD

Candlestick, SF

PTR

Mile high was finished in about 2000 and replaced the old "erector set" Mile High stadium that Denver played in back in the AFL days. I am happy to say I got to see a game in the old one right before they demolished it. My buddy (a fish fan) and I made the trek to Miami for the Bills/Dolphins playoff game on 1/2/99. The ""Trace Armstrong game," if you will. When the Bills looked poised to take over the game in the 3rd quarter I made my pal a drunken bet that whoever won, BOTH of us would be at the winner's game no matter what.

One week later I was in "old" mile high stadium, 3 rows from the top, watching Miami get crushed by Denver. It was most crystal-clear beautiful day you could ever imagine, and we had a spectacular view of the mountains. The whole stadium was steel, and every first down felt and sounded like an earthquake.

From our hotel room, we had a nice view of the new stadium going up. I remember thinking, "that's a shame."

List of older stadiums:

Gator Bowl, JAX

Soldier Field, CHI

Lambeau, GB

Mile High, DEN

Arrowhead, KC

Oakland Coliseum, OAK

Quallcom, SD

Candlestick, SF

PTR

BTW Promo, the stadium in Jacksonville is not older than The Ralph.

PTR

Yeah that's funny, one Halloween I dressed up as Sid Vicious from the Sex Pistols, complete with safety pins in my cheeks and ears and chains wrapped around my chest, I went to party in Allentown and and peddled my bike back to Canada at like 4:00am drunk as shite and rode my bike thru a car lane, the guard just laughed and waved me thru. good times.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

Not at the game but I did ride my bike from the east side to see the stadium the day before. I was 14 then.

PTR

Holy cow! That seems like a long bike ride if you were 14.

Edited by dhg

Unless I missed it, no one's yet mentioned Duane Thomas trying to go into the stands to confront hecklers.

After 38 posts I'm mildly surprised by this.

Did I miss it?

Thats the one where the Redskin RB (Duane Thomas?) got into it with some fans and threw a thermos into the stands if I recall correctly.

I did miss it!

Unless I missed it, no one's yet mentioned Duane Thomas trying to go into the stands to confront hecklers.

After 38 posts I'm mildly surprised by this.

Did I miss it?

I did miss it!

my recollection is sometimes hazy, but i am not quite sure that was the game thomas went into the stands. i was there for both(opening game and thomas altercation), just not sure if it was the same game, but chances are it could have been.