Kolb to start Friday

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought people were joking about Tuel being starter... but it's slowly dawning on me that people are serious. Crazy.

It's as if Denver Broncos fans are flooding the board. Where the hell is Robert Stack?

I don't have a problem with your opinion Micro; I think the issue resides in the idea that Tuel has outperformed both Manuel and Kolb to this point. I think the counterpoint that perhaps hasn't been stated clearly is that the assessment of performance relative to one another has to be based on the entire body of work from OTA's, Minicamps, TC, and pre-season games. Obviously, in the coaches' opinions, Kolb and Manuel have been ahead of Tuel and still are, despite the fact that he looked good in the first game (and he did, for which I am pleased).

The prudent move at this point is to give Kolb his opportunity with the 1's to see how he does, let EJ play with the 2's, and give Tuel more time in the 2nd half. If, at that point, Tuel continues to show well while one or both of the others flop badly, it may be worth exploring the idea of starting Tuel in the final pre-season game to see what he can do.

However, I doubt heavily that he's in the mix to start the regular season.

Thank You.

I don't think he's outperformed them, but I do think he has done more than Kolb has. I understand that is because Kolb was injured and had a death in the family, but I do think he has done more.

I thought people were joking about Tuel being starter... but it's slowly dawning on me that people are serious. Crazy.

Some time around the 4th quarter tomorrow night.. "Tuel Time" is going to start trending on Twitter. He might as well come up with a move that we can refer to as "Tueling" right quick.

So in other words, Tuel isn't allowed to be even considered for a starting position, no matter how well he plays, because Kolb is an NFL Veteran and EJ is a 1st round pick.

I suppose that is how the NFL works so can't really argue.

This is exactly how the NFL works. The hot shot #1 pick rookie gets preferential treatment until he proves he sucks even if they have a better QB on the roster. (Not saying Tuel is better. Just want to clarify that).

This is exactly why Matt Moore isn't getting a fair shot in Miami. Also the reason David Garrard rode the pine behind Byron Leftwich for years on end.

It may not be "fair", but who said life was fair?

Edited by reddogblitz

Thank You.

I don't think he's outperformed them, but I do think he has done more than Kolb has. I understand that is because Kolb was injured and had a death in the family, but I do think he has done more.

I guess the question is this ... do you honestly believe that Kevin Kolb wouldn't be nearly perfect against a 3rd string defense? Do you think that if Kevin Kolb played a quarter against starters; then Tuel played a quarter against the same starters - that Tuel's performance would be better?

I'm asking those questions, in those contexts, out of sincere curiosity.

Tuel might not even play on Friday. I see Kolb playing a half and EJ playing the 3rd quarter at the very least.

For your bolded statement, No it doesn't do anything to the coaching staff. They promised KK a fair fight and this is what they are giving him. I cannot blame them for doing this since other players might not like if they didn't do it this way after all the coach talk of even competition. That doesn't mean I think Kolb should start b.c he shouldn't. He has done nothing to show he is any different of a player since he got into the league. You don't lose faith in a HC b.c he has to start Kolb. It's preseason so these decisions to start Kolb is nothing more then a coach keeping his word. That is a funny little poke at the fans you put in making a general assumption and hiding it in a post.

I think you may have missed the point I was making. Your statement, "He has done nothing to show he is any different of a player since he got into the league," exemplifies exactly what I am talking about.

I don't believe for a minute that Marrone is starting Kolb because he has to. I believe he is starting Kolb because Kolb is a veteran player who might give us the best chance of winning week one vs. the Patriots. And, IMO, fans who believe that they know better than Marrone- who thinks that Kolb is a talented QB (that is why he signed him)- aren't placing much faith in Marrone's judgement. As far as "poking" fans and "hiding it in a post," that's just weird. I haven't hidden anything. I'm not speaking in code.

Thank You.

heres another spot i think our opinions widely diverge. it seems to me that you think each person should walk into week one of the preseason on equal footing - while im saying theres a huge body of work beyond the last 7-10 days. the whole offseason, for kolb an nfl career, for tuel college reps, whats going on in meeting rooms..... even if you think that tuel has outplayed kolb in the last week or so (which i know we already discussed so ill leave that behind for this post) i think you are short changing the volume of material available to evaluate.

I think you may have missed the point I was making. Your statement, "He has done nothing to show he is any different of a player since he got into the league," exemplifies exactly what I am talking about.

I don't believe for a minute that Marrone is starting Kolb because he has to. I believe he is starting Kolb because Kolb is a veteran player who might give us the best chance of winning week one vs. the Patriots. And, IMO, fans who believe that they know better than Marrone- who thinks that Kolb is a talented QB (that is why he signed him)- aren't placing much faith in Marrone's judgement. As far as "poking" fans and "hiding it in a post," that's just weird. I haven't hidden anything. I'm not speaking in code.

how many games has Kolb actually started in his career? he not so much of a 'veteran' actually, he mostly sat on the bench.

as soon as he goes out someone cracks his head and he is out for many many games, usually the rest of the season.

i do not understand how we got saddled with this guy.

I've got a new nickname for fans who think Tuel should be given a "fair shake" at winning the starting QB job based upon his work against 3rd stringers in Indy:

Tuel's Tools

Ive got a better name. But if I typed it I would be banned forever. But not from just here. From the internet.

Yes it does. And Matt In KC's further clarification of only limited time helped me understand the view as well.

I still wish that all QB's would be given a fair shake but it is what it is. And that's not because I'm a Tuel fan. It's because I believe you get the best in people when everyone has a shot.

Let's see if you can get it by this example:

If the real waterboy of the buffalo bills played qb in his house, throwing passes to his mom, would you let that qb waterboy compete for the starting job????

Basically that is what Tuel is. If he was the next montana like some people believe he is (one, he would have been drafted, heck he had over 200 chances to get picked), I'm sure the coach would have to address this situation. But based on tons and tons of college tape, practices, camps, they know he is not ready to go from position 3 to position 1 on the depth chart.

Dont base your love affection based on a game and a few practices.

I'll give the coach some credit. But it stops there. He's not taking Levy's place yet. He's a first time NFL coach. He hasn't proven jack to me. As far as we know it when the season starts, we may go 0-16. When we start winning some games, then I can credit the coaches.

What have bill scouts, coaches, owner done for me lately?

Tuels's Jewels ?

That wouldnt get me banned man, they would want me for their prez.

how many games has Kolb actually started in his career? he not so much of a 'veteran' actually, he mostly sat on the bench.

as soon as he goes out someone cracks his head and he is out for many many games, usually the rest of the season.

i do not understand how we got saddled with this guy.

Kolb has had 21 starts, and has played in 34 games in six years. He played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL last season and won the first four games (including the Patriots) before being injured in game five.

It's perplexing to me how dismissive people are of Kolb on these forums. Let me guess: you're in favor of starting Kolb in the season opener? But why does the desire to be "right" drive people to make such biased, and unrealistic claims?

And, if you have such a low opinion of Kolb, and his career, how much faith do you have in coach Marrone?

Edited by Rocky Landing

This is exactly how the NFL works. The hot shot #1 pick rookie gets preferential treatment until he proves he sucks even if they have a better QB on the roster. (Not saying Tuel is better. Just want to clarify that).

This is exactly why Matt Moore isn't getting a fair shot in Miami. Also the reason David Garrard rode the pine behind Byron Leftwich for years on end.

It may not be "fair", but who said life was fair?

That's technically not true. Real talent will eventually be evident. Matt Moore has not proven to be a true #1. He is getting a fair shot. More than fair.

The same goes for all the Tuel lovers. If he is really #1 caliber, he'll get his dues, eventually. The fact that he didnt get drafted is not a good sign. Tuel is the intern in the business module. He will not make president on his first day of work. It isnt even about fairness? In the business world it's all about experience and education. Man why are we explaining this? That's how the world turns.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Kolb has had 21 starts, and has played in 34 games in six years. He played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL last season and won the first four games (including the Patriots) before being injured in game five.

It's perplexing to me how dismissive people are of Kolb on these forums. Let me guess: you're in favor of starting Kolb in the season opener? But why does the desire to be "right" drive people to make such biased, and unrealistic claims?

And, if you have such a low opinion of Kolb, and his career, how much faith do you have in coach Marrone?

if we start him in the season opener, it is likely his last game as a Bill. An OL that is still gelling will not be able to give him 100% protection, and he is CONCUSSION-PRONE. those happen more and more easily as you get them. It won't take an Adrian Wilson hit, just a good knock of head to turf, he is done. it is not if but when. He has already had many games off due to concussion symptoms, he should retire, really, or he is going to be Cassius Clay by the time he is 50. I don't dislike the guy at all. I just like the Bills better and think we would be ar better off with a guy whose head is not broken.

if we start him in the season opener, it is likely his last game as a Bill. An OL that is still gelling will not be able to give him 100% protection, and he is CONCUSSION-PRONE. those happen more and more easily as you get them. It won't take an Adrian Wilson hit, just a good knock of head to turf, he is done. it is not if but when. He has already had many games off due to concussion symptoms, he should retire, really, or he is going to be Cassius Clay by the time he is 50. I don't dislike the guy at all. I just like the Bills better and think we would be ar better off with a guy whose head is not broken.

Kolb got one concussion in 2010, and, in 2011, had "concussion like symptoms," but was not diagnosed with a concussion after being kicked in the back of the head. I would not qualify that as "CONCUSSION-PRONE." Especially considering the number of times he was sacked in his four wins at the beginning of last season, including two consecutive games with eight or more sacks- an NFL first. I think you (and many others on these boards) are underestimating Kevin Kolb.