Old Skewl Credit Card Question

The Big Cat

The grey area is gone. More than enough time has passed for the transaction to have been posted. Clearly, something has gon awry in the situation and you know it.

Go back to your earlier post saying you explicitly said you didn't wanna do the right thing. That was a pretty direct response with no grey in it. You also claim to have paid them already. The bill is not paid until the final transaction is closed across all parties.

In whatever time you have lost debating the outcome here you could have called both the store and Chase to say I think a mistake was made.

Me saying I didn't wanna was facetious, bud.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up about using credit cards when you're traveling. You should call your card company(ies) before you take off to la-la land. I went to the Florida Keys earlier this year and was quite pizzed to find my Bank (Wells Fargo) shut down my debit card after one purchase. This was extremely annoying. I called their 800 number and they would not look into the issue unless I could tell them my bank account number (not the card number - the account number which is printed on checks). I didn't have a check on me. Next they asked for an exact amount of a recent automatic transaction. Right, like I'd know to the penny off the top of my head what that would be. Without the checkbook, I was nowhere. They wouldn't help me. Click!

So, when Wifey and I went to Ireland a month or so later, I called WF and Amex ahead and told them we were leaving the country for a bit and that we expected to use our cards there and would be more pizzed than Marcia Brady by a pick 6 if they interrupted our use of the cards at all. That's all it takes. Let them know ahead of time that you're on the road.

Oh, and pay up. It's the right thing to do. You know that.

I had that happen too. I call them everytime I travel back east now.

I had that happen too. I call them everytime I travel back east now.

I've had the opposite. The one time I call, going from Syracuse to NYC, card was denied because of something the bank did on their end. The year I went to Australia, New Zealand, and China, but did not call the bank beforehand, no problems.

Boy you guys are making me feel guilty....I picked up a small item from sears today that I ordered online from the store...the guy comes from the back with two packages and I say "both are mine?"...he says yep....so I continue on home....turns out sears gave me two of the product I ordered....but I was only billed once....one box was opened and the product was dirty almost like a return and the other was brand new....not sure what to think...the item was 20$.....I just figured oh well their mistake...I'll keep the extra on hand....but now I feel dirty!!!!

and also keep in mind...this guy very easily could have lost the slip and has ZERO way of knowing how to rectify the situation...you could be a hero in his/her eyes if you made the call and asked if everything was alright with the transaction as you haven't seen it posted...he/she probably has lots of mouths to feed

Me saying I didn't wanna was facetious, bud.

So if you didn't mean you didn't wanna, we must assume you do wanna, and if you genuinely do wanna, you probably wouldn't have started this thread in the first place, no?

Boy you guys are making me feel guilty....I picked up a small item from sears today that I ordered online from the store...the guy comes from the back with two packages and I say "both are mine?"...he says yep....so I continue on home....turns out sears gave me two of the product I ordered....but I was only billed once....one box was opened and the product was dirty almost like a return and the other was brand new....not sure what to think...the item was 20$.....I just figured oh well their mistake...I'll keep the extra on hand....but now I feel dirty!!!!

I bought some shelf brackets from Home Depot last weekend; cheap things that came in three sizes. I got the largest size. Went through self checkout. One had a sku on it for the smaller bracket. I called the guy over to point it out and he was genuinely confused that I was pointing out an error in the store's favor.

No, LA I started the thread to find out how long manual swipes can take to process.

All my friends say don't call, my wife says its not even an issue, call.

You guys all say call.

My coworker is confused as to why I'd call.

Clearly there are two schools of thought.

Ultimately the money will go to a mega grocery conglomerate who could care less. But to Poojers point, that same money could cost some mook his job, and that's the last thing I want.

i assumed it was a country store in the middle of no-where, if this is a kroger/wal-mart type....you will probably get more annoyed trying to resolve it than it's worth, i would bet they wouldn't even know the first place to look to try and resolve it

No, LA I started the thread to find out how long manual swipes can take to process.

You guys all say call.

Ultimately the money will go to a mega grocery conglomerate who could care less. But to Poojers point, that same money could cost some mook his job, and that's the last thing I want.

I'm curious what the timeline for a store to process a charge should be.

I have no intention of calling them and pointing out the mistake, and everyone's already Pay-Pal'd me the money they owe (I haven't withdrawn it yet).

Do you think we got away with one here?

So read your own post. You did ask what the timeline to post a manual charge was. Then you went on .... It's the final question in your post and its implications that are in contradiction with your current statements.

In ending the post in that manner you opened the door to interpret that the more important question to you was whether you got away with something.

I'd pay it. I think enough time has passed that there is likely a problem with the store submitting the charge. As you noted in your OP, you 'convinced' the guy to get the manual swiper out. He 'did' you a favor and it now may have backfired on him (not necessarily anyone's 'fault' but it falls on him nonetheless). I'd call and square up.

You guys all say call.

And those two schools are called "doing the right thing" and "being a total !@#$."

It literally would never occur to me to try to weasel out of paying.

You probably got that zip faced kid fired from his first ever job. Probably didnt know how to do the proper paperwork for the transaction regardless if you did everything you should have.

Personally, I don't care what you do. But chances are, this small time grocery store will take quite a bit to transfer over the transaction of they do at all.

I don't think you should call. It's not your responsibility. It's theirs. And if they miss it, it's on them. If you call and try and move this thing along, there is a definite possibility you are double charged. At least until you straighten it out with Chase.

You probably got that zip faced kid fired from his first ever job. Probably didnt know how to do the proper paperwork for the transaction regardless if you did everything you should have.

Personally, I don't care what you do. But chances are, this small time grocery store will take quite a bit to transfer over the transaction of they do at all.

I don't think you should call. It's not your responsibility. It's theirs. And if they miss it, it's on them. If you call and try and move this thing along, there is a definite possibility you are double charged. At least until you straighten it out with Chase.

It's not a "small time grocery store." It's in a rural area, but it's very much under the giant Jewel Osco umbrella.

This is the equivalent of when I was in third grade, missed a question on a test but the teacher marked it correct. I told her, she took my test and downgraded me.

I learned something that day. Yeah, it was my job to learn, but it was her job to evaluate me.

I "paid." They watched me walk away with $540 I groceries, the rest is on them.

I played my part in the transaction. I resent being accused of "weaseling" there was none of that.

I'd pay it. I think enough time has passed that there is likely a problem with the store submitting the charge. As you noted in your OP, you 'convinced' the guy to get the manual swiper out. He 'did' you a favor and it now may have backfired on him (not necessarily anyone's 'fault' but it falls on him nonetheless). I'd call and square up.

I "convinced" him because the thought never occurred to him.

BUT

If I "convinced" a Mac Genius to let me buy an iPhone with pogs, that's on him too, IMO.

Chase banks fraud dept. rivals the IRS. They will play games, and allow fraud to happen. If they sniff it out, your chances of ever getting another card from any bank for several years is greatly diminished.If not impossible.

We have multiple Chase/Southwest RR cards. They played all sorts of games since our billing address is a po box. They thought our second application was fraudulent. For what ever reason known only to them. In the end I was happy Chase does their homework, but again their resources are mind boggling.