Old Skewl Credit Card Question

The Big Cat

Two weeks ago today I went grocery shopping with 7 other guys in their late 20's early 30's to get supplies for a long weekend at a Lake House. We bought a lot. $543.30 worth, to be precise.

The purchase was made in a rural grocery store about 25 miles outside our destination.

I swiped my card, nothing. My buddy swiped his card, nothing. My buddy swiped his other card, nothing. All our other buddies were out in the parking lot wondering wtf was taking so long.

We determined it had to have been a problem with their machines (turns out all three of our cards were Chase cards and my buddy and I both received fraud alerts like four hours later (some help that was)).

But, we convinced the weirdo who looked to be in charge to go get their manual swiper. He did, though it was clear he had never used it before and had no idea what he was doing. It made the impression, nevertheless, I signed and about 25 minutes into his process, we were on our merry marry way.

As of today, the charge still hasn't posted. It's not pending, it's no where to be found in my online banking portal.

This period spans the months of July and August, so it wasn't a month-end thing, but for someone who's only swiped one of the impression machines in a taxi cab (and those fools process that **** within about 8 hours), I'm curious what the timeline for a store to process a charge should be.

I have no intention of calling them and pointing out the mistake, and everyone's already Pay-Pal'd me the money they owe (I haven't withdrawn it yet).

Do you think we got away with one here?

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think we got away with one here?

There is only one way to know for sure if you got away with one, and that is to stop wondering if you got away with one and rectify the problem.

Take your receipt, call Chase, give them the information, and attempt to fix the issue. This keeps you from calling the grocery store and potentially having them charge you twice because someone missed something.

You owe money. Do the right thing.

But I don't wanna!

ALSO: I 'paid' them the money I owe them...

There is only one way to know for sure if you got away with one, and that is to stop wondering if you got away with one and rectify the problem.

Take your receipt, call Chase, give them the information, and attempt to fix the issue. This keeps you from calling the grocery store and potentially having them charge you twice because someone missed something.

Do you think Chase cares?

Edited by The Big Cat

You owe money. Do the right thing.

Agreed ... Why would you in effect shoplift? Not cool as it sounds like the store owner is the one who is going to eat this.

No you did not ... Otherwise you would not be here asking the question that started the post. You are trying to get away with something and looking to rationalize it as being outside of your responsibility. If you fail to take accountability you are stealing either from the credit card vendor or the store.

If you don't want opinions do not ask for them.

Agreed ... Why would you in effect shoplift? Not cool as it sounds like the store owner is the one who is going to eat this.

Shoplift!? I'm not exaggerating when I say our attempts to check out of this (empty) grocery store at 9 pm on a Thursday lasted upwards of 20 minutes.

But I don't wanna!

No you didn't.

Do you think Chase cares?

It's irrelevant if Chase cares. By contacting Chase, you have them contact the vendor so you don't have the potential to get double charged once the store realizes the error.

No you didn't.

It's irrelevant if Chase cares. By contacting Chase, you have them contact the vendor so you don't have the potential to get double charged once the store realizes the error.

No you didn't.

But the double charge would be a second error on their part, and I'd eventually get it fixed. Worst case scenario, I'm right back to where I started from: paying the 500+

Shoplift!? I'm not exaggerating when I say our attempts to check out of this (empty) grocery store at 9 pm on a Thursday lasted upwards of 20 minutes.

You can try to make excuses or play situational morality but the bottom line is that you have not paid for the goods you received. While it is inconvenient to you it is your responsibility to check back with the store and possibly chase to notify them of the issue.

So lets say you loan me $543.30 and I later repay you with a check. You then lose the check. Would it not be appropriate that I ask why you have not cashed my check? You will probably say "no."

However lets say you come to me and say that you lost the check. Should I simply say that I have already "paid" you and refuse to give you another? This is your position in the scenario you presented.

Also, at what point is this their responsibility?

And am I right to discern you guys think it should have cleared by now?

You can try to make excuses or play situational morality but the bottom line is that you have not paid for the goods you received. While it is inconvenient to you it is your responsibility to check back with the store and possibly chase to notify them of the issue.

So lets say you loan me $543.30 and I later repay you with a check. You then lose the check. Would it not be appropriate that I ask why you have not cashed my check? You will probably say "no."

However lets say you come to me and say that you lost the check. Should I simply say that I have already "paid" you and refuse to give you another? This is your position in the scenario you presented.

I don't think your scenario is analogous at all.

Just a heads up about using credit cards when you're traveling. You should call your card company(ies) before you take off to la-la land. I went to the Florida Keys earlier this year and was quite pizzed to find my Bank (Wells Fargo) shut down my debit card after one purchase. This was extremely annoying. I called their 800 number and they would not look into the issue unless I could tell them my bank account number (not the card number - the account number which is printed on checks). I didn't have a check on me. Next they asked for an exact amount of a recent automatic transaction. Right, like I'd know to the penny off the top of my head what that would be. Without the checkbook, I was nowhere. They wouldn't help me. Click!

So, when Wifey and I went to Ireland a month or so later, I called WF and Amex ahead and told them we were leaving the country for a bit and that we expected to use our cards there and would be more pizzed than Marcia Brady by a pick 6 if they interrupted our use of the cards at all. That's all it takes. Let them know ahead of time that you're on the road.

Oh, and pay up. It's the right thing to do. You know that.

Also, at what point is this their responsibility?

I don't think your scenario is analogous at all.

You share responsibility with the store and the credit card company to close out the transaction properly.

You obviously have no desire to do what is right. Sad.

But the double charge would be a second error on their part, and I'd eventually get it fixed. Worst case scenario, I'm right back to where I started from: paying the 500+

We're talking at two different levels. The bottom line is you need to do the right thing to ensure the people who sold you the goods get their money, even if if means driving back to the store to fix the problem. It's not a question of who is at fault. It's not a question of who should be responsible to fix it. It's a question of character. You either have it or you don't. Only you can make that call.

Wow, don't forget your robe, Judge Wapner.

Wow, don't forget your robe, Judge Wapner.

It's not me who posted on an open forum that my ethics are lax and that I want support rationalizing the fact that I am ripping somebody off due to an oversight, lost transaction or mistake.

It's not me who posted on an open forum that my ethics are lax and that I want support rationalizing the fact that I am ripping somebody off due to an oversight, lost transaction or mistake.

Okay, there's a grey area between "ripping someone off" and going the extra mile to cover for a mistake from which you're benefiting. Said grey area is where I exist up until I pick up the phone.

Edited by The Big Cat

it'll catch up, give it time...for a manual transaction, they probably sat on it perhaps until month end(lets assume end of august), snail mailed it to their local bank as a deposit), its now 8 days into the next month, i would bet within the next couple of days it will appear.

Okay, there's a grey area between "ripping someone off" and going the extra mile to cover for a mistake from which you're benefiting. Said grey area is where I exist up until I pick up the phone.

The grey area is gone. More than enough time has passed for the transaction to have been posted. Clearly, something has gon awry in the situation and you know it.

Go back to your earlier post saying you explicitly said you didn't wanna do the right thing. That was a pretty direct response with no grey in it. You also claim to have paid them already. The bill is not paid until the final transaction is closed across all parties.

In whatever time you have lost debating the outcome here you could have called both the store and Chase to say I think a mistake was made.

...you know. If it was $20. Or maybe $30.... I'd say no big deal. If it was me I'd still say f it. Its only 30 and pay. But this is shorting a guy almost $600. Money you planned to pay anyway. Money you owe this small place.