Old Skewl Credit Card Question

The Big Cat

I could see that being the case for others. But using a card helps me monitor expenses within the framework of our budget. As such, I know what I'm spending, I know what I shouldn't spend and I don't spend irresponsibly. Now, if I have cash in my pocket, that **** disappears...FAST.

No you put aside a specific amount of cash each month for certain things. And when it's gone it's gone. It's called a budget. See you do budget at the beginning of the month to set aside how much money is going where not at the end of the month to see where it all went.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you put aside a specific amount of cash each month for certain things. And when it's gone it's gone. It's called a budget. See you do budget at the beginning of the month to set aside how much money is going where not at the end of the month to see where it all went.

But that's essentially what I do with my card. I know what my number is and I work to stay below it...and get free flights.

Here is a story of mine: A Dr. I went to a month or so ago for a check up (dermatologist) has called me twice this week. It turns out they do not have my address on file to send me a bill. I am annoyed, because they have a copy of my license, a patient form with my address on it, my insurance card with my address on it, and they have a phone book. Yet, they have still called me twice asking for my address. I should not call them and give them my address, right? I mean, it's their fault they cannot read? They did go to Med School!?

:wallbash:

Here is a story of mine: A Dr. I went to a month or so ago for a check up (dermatologist) has called me twice this week. It turns out they do not have my address on file to send me a bill. I am annoyed, because they have a copy of my license, a patient form with my address on it, my insurance card with my address on it, and they have a phone book. Yet, they have still called me twice asking for my address. I should not call them and give them my address, right? I mean, it's their fault they cannot read? They did go to Med School!?

:wallbash:

n9ybMAm.jpg

In you're case, at least they're being proactive.

/

Edited by The Big Cat

Secondly--the nexus of this thread was to determine what the timetable should be for the charge to clear, not to justify to myself or others not paying.

The true point of your thread, in your own words, was this: "Do you think we got away with one here?"

It's actually more telling that when someone tries to point out what would be the right thing to do, you not only have no interest, you actually consider these people sanctimonious. Have you told your girlfriend you think she's sanctimonious?

First off--OK to steal from big store is at best an implication, but more accurately a response to the inference that the store was a mom and pop shop and that makes not paying them much much worse.

OK, I get that that's the context in which your response arose - - to me it doesn't matter how big the store is.

Secondly--the nexus of this thread was to determine what the timetable should be for the charge to clear, not to justify to myself or others not paying.

I also get that the timing issue was your reason for starting the thread, but it quickly moved in the direction of right/wrong issues with your willing participation.

Thirdly--It's not an argument of whether or not it's right to retain goods that were or weren't paid for, but how much intervening into the merchant's responsibilities I'm accountable for. When you say I should "pay up," the implication is that I'm not willing to, or looking for ways not to. That's misleading. More appropriate would be the demand that I pay up again, which I don't necessarily think I should. Now, if they called me and told me there was an issue and asked me to give them the number again, I would. I think I'd be justified in telling them to !@#$ off and figure it out, but I wouldn't. If they made steps to fix the problem, I'd help them along. I don't think it's my responsibility to help them fix their problem I didn't create.

I think it's pretty accurate to say that we frame the issue differently. I think that it "begs the question" to say that the question is whether you should pay again (because in my view until you are out the money you haven't paid at all, you have only honestly tried to pay). My guess is that you are correct that you have no legal responsibility to help others fix the problem, but if you can fix the problem with a simple phone call, I come out differently on the moral and ethical responsibility. It's your choice, but if it's me, I pick up the phone and try to make sure the final outcome involves funds being transferred the way everyone intended at the time the transaction was first made.

Lastly--turned 29 a couple weeks ago. I'm the youngest of my friends (29-32), all of whom say I shouldn't call.

Thanks - - I'm curious if there's a generational gap on this issue - - I'm older than you.

I also get that the timing issue was your reason for starting the thread, but it quickly moved in the direction of right/wrong issues with your willing participation.

Exactly...that is the lesson to be learned here...my responses were strictly facetious...there are great people here but somtimes these things just spiral out of control and we have a war.

Exactly...that is the lesson to be learned here...my responses were strictly facetious...there are great people here but somtimes these things just spiral out of control and we have a war. and that is only fools come here for advice.

Corrected for accuracy.

Have you told your girlfriend you think she's sanctimonious?

Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Interesting take. I use my credit card for all purchases. Why not? I pay the balance in full every month, and since it's a SW card, I get anywhere from 2-5 free flights a year as a result.

Slightly off topic, but I have the same credit card, and use it the same way. I was a little disappointed when Rapid Rewards switched from flight credits to points, because I used to be able to take cheap short hops on my dime and then use the reward flights for longer, more expensive flights. It worked out to about a 2% return on all my credit card purchases.

After they switched to a points-based system, I lost that option. I'm using my "transition award" under the old system for a long flight this fall. Since my return will now be less than 2%, I really should look around to see if I can get a better credit card deal elsewhere.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

The true point of your thread, in your own words, was this: "Do you think we got away with one here?"

It's actually more telling that when someone tries to point out what would be the right thing to do, you not only have no interest, you actually consider these people sanctimonious. Have you told your girlfriend you think she's sanctimonious?

My wife, you mean?

And yes.

Slightly off topic, but I have the same credit card, and use it the same way. I was a little disappointed when Rapid Rewards switched from flight credits to points, because I used to be able to take cheap short hops on my dime and then use the reward flights for longer, more expensive flights. It worked out to about a 2% return on all my credit card purchases.

After they switched to a points-based system, I lost that option. I'm using my "transition award" under the old system for a long flight this fall. Since my return will now be less than 2%, I really should look around to see if I can get a better credit card deal elsewhere.

The majority of my flights are Chicago to Cleveland or Buffalo, so I still get them on the cheap, hence the freebies. But just as they made the transition, I was able to bank my "points" for a flight to Oakland that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do once the change was made...whew.

Exactly...that is the lesson to be learned here...my responses were strictly facetious...there are great people here but somtimes these things just spiral out of control and we have a war.

War is awfully strong word. In this thread I think there was open debate. I get it that TBC was becoming annoyed with me by his own statement. The issue is that he opened himself up for the challenge based on his own statements. When you begin a thread with one of the questions being have I gotten away with something set a tone. Perhaps unintentionally but a tone nonetheless.

Sure you did. :rolleyes:

My wife is honest to a fault (yes, that's a thing :rolleyes: ). I give her grief about it all the time.

War is awfully strong word. In this thread I think there was open debate. I get it that TBC was becoming annoyed with me by his own statement. The issue is that he opened himself up for the challenge based on his own statements. When you begin a thread with one of the questions being have I gotten away with something set a tone. Perhaps unintentionally but a tone nonetheless.

A regretable choice of words, if ever there was one.

Cat, I asked this question to my fiancé and she thinks your right if you don't say anything. It's not your responsibility to do anything to make sure they know their jobs.

FWIW, she's right about everything ;-)

A regretable choice of words, if ever there was one.

Hey nothing like a healthy debate about what is right and what might not be right. If I have offended you I offer an apology. If I simply annoyed you well that's the nature of discussing what may be controversial :D

I seem to recall you are in Chicago. If so, I hope to meet you and we can just have a good old fashioned bar brawl....

Hey nothing like a healthy debate about what is right and what might not be right. If I have offended you I offer an apology. If I simply annoyed you well that's the nature of discussing what may be controversial :D

I seem to recall you are in Chicago. If so, I hope to meet you and we can just have a good old fashioned bar brawl....

I accept that invitation. :thumbsup: