Old Skewl Credit Card Question

The Big Cat

It's not a "small time grocery store." It's in a rural area, but it's very much under the giant Jewel Osco umbrella.

This is the equivalent of when I was in third grade, missed a question on a test but the teacher marked it correct. I told her, she took my test and downgraded me.

I learned something that day. Yeah, it was my job to learn, but it was her job to evaluate me.

I "paid." They watched me walk away with $540 I groceries, the rest is on them.

I played my part in the transaction. I resent being accused of "weaseling" there was none of that.

I "convinced" him because the thought never occurred to him.

BUT

If I "convinced" a Mac Genius to let me buy an iPhone with pogs, that's on him too, IMO.

preachin to the choir man. I don't think you Gould go out of your way to make sure it gets done. That's on them.

So you advocate that two wrongs does equal a right. It would take 5 minutes to make a call.

its not in Cat to make the call. As long as he can live with them possibly taking a long time to finish said transaction.

On top of it, if he makes a call, there's a chance hey double up on the charges. Which at the end of th day will get fixed, but he still might go through the hassle of having an extra $500+ come out of his account until its fixed.

Once in my life I was in Wegmans, I cashed a check. The cashier gave me an extra $100. I didn't realize until I already left the store. Needless to say, at about 19 years of age I wasn't about to return it when I found out. I just bought extra drinks that night. Am I an @$$hole for it? Sure. Am I gonna burn in hell? Probably not. I just hope I didn't get that kid fired for being short. But at the end of the day, it was HIS mistake, not mine.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

preachin to the choir man. I don't think you Gould go out of your way to make sure it gets done. That's on them.

its not in Cat to make the call. As long as he can live with them possibly taking a long time to finish said transaction.

On top of it, if he makes a call, there's a chance hey double up on the charges. Which at the end of th day will get fixed, but he still might go through the hassle of having an extra $500+ come out of his account until its fixed.

Once in my life I was in Wegmans, I cashed a check. The cashier gave me an extra $100. I didn't realize until I already left the store. Needless to say, at about 19 years of age I wasn't about to return it when I found out. I just bought extra drinks that night. Am I an @$$hole for it? Sure. Am I gonna burn in hell? Probably not. I just hope I didn't get that kid fired for being short. But at the end of the day, it was HIS mistake, not mine.

Ugh. My wife got her wisdom teeth out in February. The oral surgeon then sent her a check for $1500. She called.

They asked her to bring it back. She said no. Instead she tore it up.

Monday: she got a bill for the $1500 she brought to their attention and ultimately waived.

I'm already dealing with a layer of incompetence. Why give them an opportunity for a second?

But, we convinced the weirdo who looked to be in charge to go get their manual swiper. He did, though it was clear he had never used it before and had no idea what he was doing. It made the impression, nevertheless, I signed and about 25 minutes into his process, we were on our merry marry way.

Do you think we got away with one here?

To the bolded part....Your post implies a certain level of ineptitude. Your question about 'getting away with one' amplifies the feeling of most posters in this thread. Most would say yes...you 'got away with one.' Last I checked....that has a negative connotation. Most folks don't 'get away with' doing something nice. It means you know you're wrong. Pay up.

I "convinced" him because the thought never occurred to him.

BUT

If I "convinced" a Mac Genius to let me buy an iPhone with pogs, that's on him too, IMO.

So if he 'convinced' the credit card company that every card he swiped should have, in fact, been charged; and all your buddies got the same 500+ bill a month later.....you guys would be cool with that??? If so, carry on.

$20 bucks noticed a few weeks later - I'd probably let slide. $500 I'd have a harder time justifying. Amount of money, time passed, nature of the other party, difficulty to fix etc.... would all weigh in my decision. Ultimately your call, and not the end of the world either way - but since your asking, ill chime in with a vote to call, and I think this ones easy in my book.

I wouldn't chase them around or go crazy with it- but odds are its a 30 second fix here.

If you don't call are you keeping the money your friends gave you?

$20 bucks noticed a few weeks later - I'd probably let slide. $500 I'd have a harder time justifying. Amount of money, time passed, nature of the other party, difficulty to fix etc.... would all weigh in my decision. Ultimately your call, and not the end of the world either way - but since your asking, ill chime in with a vote to call, and I think this ones easy in my book.

I wouldn't chase them around or go crazy with it- but odds are its a 30 second fix here.

If you don't call are you keeping the money your friends gave you?

Hell no. It's in PayPal purgatory.

I learned something that day. Yeah, it was my job to learn, but it was her job to evaluate me.

I "paid." They watched me walk away with $540 I groceries, the rest is on them.

I played my part in the transaction. I resent being accused of "weaseling" there was none of that.

While we seemto continue around the same loop here the fact of the matter is that you have not paid. Yes, you gave them a credit card and obligated the credit card company to pay the grocer and in closure you pay the credit card company. The fact is that you walked out of the store with $540 or so in goods which have not been paid for yet.

I get it that you intended to pay but the circumstances have not enabled you to follow through on your intent.

Finally, fair enough that you should not be called a weasel. However, if you now knowingly just let this situation go on and in your earlier words "get away with something" call it for what it is, theft. You are perfectly within your rights to give it a bit more time to be resolved between the store and the card company. The correct thing to do IMO is to call the store and to notify them of the issue.

Why is it so hard for you to see this is the right thing to do?

While we seemto continue around the same loop here the fact of the matter is that you have not paid. Yes, you gave them a credit card and obligated the credit card company to pay the grocer and in closure you pay the credit card company. The fact is that you walked out of the store with $540 or so in goods which have not been paid for yet.

I get it that you intended to pay but the circumstances have not enabled you to follow through on your intent.

Finally, fair enough that you should not be called a weasel. However, if you now knowingly just let this situation go on and in your earlier words "get away with something" call it for what it is, theft. You are perfectly within your rights to give it a bit more time to be resolved between the store and the card company. The correct thing to do IMO is to call the store and to notify them of the issue.

Why is it so hard for you to see this is the right thing to do?

why is it so hard for the employees and/or grocery store managers to know, and do their jobs correctly?

I agree with what your saying. But it's not like Cat ran out with hundreds of dollars in goods and didnt pay. They all offered multiple times. Then he had his card manually taken. He's done his duty. Now it's on the grocery store to do theirs and collect their money. If they want or that is.

why is it so hard for the employees and/or grocery store managers to know, and do their jobs correctly?

I agree with what your saying. But it's not like Cat ran out with hundreds of dollars in goods and didnt pay. They all offered multiple times. Then he had his card manually taken. He's done his duty. Now it's on the grocery store to do theirs and collect their money. If they want or that is.

Do you and I view credit card usage differently than some people here?

So turn the situation around what if the store hits your card twice and they know about it but for some reason you miss it. Then in that situation they keep the extra $540?

I agree with what your saying. But it's not like Cat ran out with hundreds of dollars in goods and didnt pay.

The point you miss is that by offering a credit card he intended to pay. If the transaction is not processed then he did not pay.

Or maybe the answer is as simple as this: because employees make mistakes and grocery store managers make mistakes and you make mistakes and I make mistakes and BIg Cat makes mistakes, and the trick is to be able to be mature enough to see past the mistake, see past the blame, see past the finger-pointing laziness to shirk responsibility, and do what you know is ethically, morally and respectfully correct.

No, what you view differently is the importance of knowing the difference between right and wrong. You can claim incompetence all day, but the simple truth is that you know, right now, that you never paid the guy. And yet in the face of knowing this error, you seem almost incredulous that his mistake, error or misfortune would EVER mean you should have to do something to correct it.

It's unfortunate, but, y'know, at least your girlfriend gets it, so maybe it'll wear off on you one day.

Really, if you convinced him to use a manual swiper and he actually knew where to find one... Then it is protocol that they have used a manual system before.

It will clear... It has only been 2 weeks... Jeez... It is like writing a paper check... How long do some hold on to those. I was always taught to promptly (within a week) cash people's checks.

I betcha it isn't lost... Don't they have months to process it it... Isn't a check like 160 days or something?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I agree w/you. You give somebody a check and they lose it before cashing it, you are not obligated to give them a new check. Now obviously IF THEY came to you and told you the situation, I would give them another check. My God, a check should be treated just like cash. Myself, if I ever took a check and then lost it... I'd eat the loss. It is on me for being careless. One would absolutely have not an ounce of shame if you came back wanting another check! Same thing if I wasn't timely in cashing it. Are you kidding me people? There isn't enough time in the day to worry about important stuff, let alone stupid sh*t.

Big Cat... Give it time, way too early... It clears it clears... It doesn't, it doesn't. You met your obligation. Account for that obligation when it clears. What I am saying is: DO NOTHING. Account on your side of the books and be done with it... Again, it clears, it clears. You have no obligation to call them... Isn't that a bit narotic?

99% chance that it will eventually clear. THOUGH, as the days, weeks, months go on, that % gets lower that it will clear until it is too late for the other party to post it.

The obligation (notice I didn't say transaction) is closed on your end... It clears it clears. Stop being narotic. It has only been two weeks. Again, account for the money on your end, in order to close the transaction, and move on...

Ever notice on checks it says: Cash within 90 days... or whatever? You think the payer is worried you will not cash their check? LoL. They wrote the check, they acoount for it and be done... They aren't gonna be narotic and walk the payee to the bank. The obligation is now on the payee to cash it in a timely manner.

See what I am saying? This is insane there is even this narotic (notice I keep coming back to that word?) argument. Let things run its course... I blame the "instant world" we do business in. You met your obligation, accounted for it on your end of the books... It is now the other side's obligation to finish the transaction... Jeeze Louise, LoL... What ya gonna walk every business transaction womb to the tomb? You did nothing wrong, shady, or immoral.

It will clear.

NOW... If they come to you or the bank and say there is a problem... Help to rectify it and make sure they get paid.

You are thinking way too much of this situation...

NOW... Just going back to what you said Big Cat... The bank did do a fraud alert, right? Did they stop the store's attempt to cash? Probably not. Did they freeze your account? Usually, there will be multiple attempts to push something through. You are way overthinking this.

Pay the money you owe. Your arguments are beginning to sound Obama-like.

Wait... It has only been two weeks. How do you know it won't clear and they are slow to process it? When you write a check to somebody and they do not cash it for weeks, do you call then and remind them to cash it? LoL.. It is their responsibilty. He doesn't owe them, he paid them. It is their responsibility to collect the money and finish the transaction. Why do people think it is his obligation to call? Why do people think that some mistake has been made? Again, I give you a check for services and you don't cash it, who's problem is that? I don't think there is a time limit (like checks) where they have to process.

Big Cat, balance your book or set the money aside. Wait for it to clear... If it does it does... If it doesn't it doesn't, they don't want your money. No mistake was made, they can easily post it to your account... They got your info. It is not your problem they are slow or sloppy. Again, the guy knew where to find the plate clicker... It will clear.

Wow... What a rush rush world...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

ok, here's the solution....now that we know its a major corporate grocery store and not some backwoods general store. Make the call, they are going to have no clue how to locate the credit slip and even less of a clue how to resolve it. Basically you will walk away not paying the store any money.

Next step, go to your local grocery store, spend $540 on non-perishable food. Drive over to the local food bank and drop it off to them.

if I read this correctly, this happened end of July, so we are talking 6 weeks or so

Wait... It has only been two weeks. How do you know it won't clear and they are slow to process it? When you write a check to somebody and they do not cash it for weeks, do you call then and remind them to cash it? LoL.. It is their responsibilty. He doesn't owe them, he paid them. It is their responsibility to collect the money and finish the transaction. Why do people think it is his obligation to call? Why do people think that some mistake has been made? Again, I give you a check for services and you don't cash it, who's problem is that? I don't think there is a time limit (like checks) where they have to process.

Big Cat, balance your book or set the money aside. Wait for it to clear... If it does it does... If it doesn't it doesn't, they don't want your money. No mistake was made, they can easily post it to your account... They got your info. It is not your problem they are slow or sloppy. Again, the guy knew where to find the plate clicker... It will clear.

Wow... What a rush rush world...

I agree. Not 6 weeks... But two... Some cards won't process for months! Same with people and checks... Some people hold checks and throw them on their dresser. I knew a guy before direct deposit, would hold his paycheck! LoL... Stacks of them and cash each one before the time limit... Or when he needed money... People and buisnesses are screwy! You think his employer was calling him w/gentle reminders to cash his check? LoL... Same with this sitaution. This whole deabte is the result of the instant world we live...

IMO, I think... Doing nothing... Big Cat's purchase will clear. Given the paper situation... It will be VERY slow. It will have to see human eyes somewhere down the line

oh hell, i thought i had read that this situation encompassed the month of july and now into august, despite him saying it happened 2 weeks ago, i still had it stuck in my head that it happened late june(i know i said late july above).

absolutely...give it time, this is a very unusually long time for a purchase to clear but it will

I agree. Not 6 weeks... But two... Some cards won't process for months! Same with people and checks... Some people hold checks and throw them on their dresser. I knew a guy before direct deposit, would hold his paycheck! LoL... Stacks of them and cash each one before the time limit... Or when he needed money... People and buisnesses are screwy! You think his employer was calling him w/gentle reminders to cash his check? LoL... Same with this sitaution. This whole deabte is the result of the instant world we live...

IMO, I think... Doing nothing... Big Cat's purchase will clear. Given the paper situation... It will be VERY slow. It will have to see human eyes somewhere down the line

oh hell, i thought i had read that this situation encompassed the month of july and now into august, despite him saying it happened 2 weeks ago, i still had it stuck in my head that it happened late june(i know i said late july above).

absolutely...give it time, this is a very unusually long time for a purchase to clear but it will

Yep... Agree. I still don't see why people say Big Cat has to hold their hand and call them. WTF? I just wrote a check a couple months ago to my nephew as a graduation gift... He just cashed it... WTF? who the hell is teaching him! Even know it is family, even if he lost it, I give it to him again... Or anybody... But, just because you get a check, doesn't mean you take 62 years to cash it... Be expedient and prudent! Treated it just like cash. Same thing w/this transaction... Still not gonna call my nephew... I knew he got the check, he sent out a thank card a week after he got it! LoL..

well, i am guilty, i have a check from my parents from my birthday at the end of june. i simply haven't gone to the bank. I do think Cat needs to make an attempt, but he shouldn't have to jump through hoops, in fact, i may say that simply making this 'unnecessary' attempt is 'jumping through hoops'. but if they never act on it, i would do the scenario i painted, use the money to go shopping for the local food bank.

Yep... Agree. I still don't see why people say Big Cat has to hold their hand and call them. WTF? I just wrote a check a couple months ago to my nephew as a graduation gift... He just cashed it... WTF? who the hell is teaching him! Even know it is family, even if he lost it, I give it to him again... Or anybody... But, just because you get a check, doesn't mean you take 62 years to cash it... Be expedient and prudent! Treated it just like cash. Same thing w/this transaction... Still not gonna call my nephew... I knew he got the check, he sent out a thank card a week after he got it! LoL..