Is Buffalo not 'hip' or 'cool' enough for pro athletes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller always was a wet Blanket. Roy, Peters, and McKee would get loose though. Even the big goof Myers was more fun than Miller

i meant that as a joke about Miller and Roy hanging around Allentown.

Don't get it?

That should give you an idea just how expensive Toronto is. :D

or how much money he spent in tolls

He is speaking the truth but this is nothing new. All things being equal young, rich athletes prefer South Beach to South Buffalo. There are other factors a well (ie training facilities, state taxes, weather, etc..). At the same time winning cultures trump all. Green Bay can still recruit as can the Steelers, San Antonio Spurs and OKC Thunder. Those teams all have good "QBs" or star players and winning traditions. Other players want to go there for an opportunity to win. The Bills have world class training facilities, inexpensive housing and a great fan base. Their challenges include high taxes, lousy party life and bad weather. There are a segment of players that you can attract but you just play to your strengths.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Chidi Ahanotu (now broke) did the Toronto to Orchard Park commute to get a taste of big city living.

Is he really? At that time, just like I thought when I saw 30 people on stage with MC Hammer, I said there is a lot of money being wasted there.

I'd trade every last day of the summer in Raleigh for Buffalo weather.

No thanks. I can't take the heat!

I live in Charlotte and can attest to how bad the football culture is here. On any given Sunday, there are Bills fans tailgating in lots. To go watch the Bills game at a Bills bar.

Where do the Bills fans tailgate? At the Panthers' stadium? At a sports bar? Sounds weird.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Where do the Bills fans tailgate? At the Panthers' stadium? At a sports bar? Sounds weird.

There are 3 Bills bars in Charlotte. There are numerous other Buffalo/WNY flavored areas and places, too. The Bills fans just tailgate in lots, a lot of them small lots for maybe 100 cars packed tightly. I mean tight enough you have no room. Many people park downtown in the garages then walk at least 4 blocks to the stadium.

There is hardly any tailgating for Panthers games. You can hardly tell there is a football game going on when you're in Charlotte. It is a big city that is still small. There is no football culture there. The majority of fans all live well over an hour away in places like Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Columbia and more. Charlotte is not a football town. Many Bills fans have been to places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Kansas City and even Miami. They can tailgate. Charlotte is among the many that do not.

Why can miserably cold and snowy and boring green bay get players to sign? They have a tradition of winning.

Most athletes have their "main" off-season residence in another city than their work residence so I don't think they really care.

Actually, I don't think GreenBay really gets a lot of big name free agents. They just draft well.

There was a good interview on WBBZ or whatever it's called that the Yankee game was on tonight - Bob Koshinski interviewing Jim Kelly. He looks really good. But, as it pertains to this, I really what a champion he is for Buffalo, saying that best decision he ever made was coming here in 1986, even though he famously didn't want to.

I love how humble he is these days. He said it takes some people longer to mature, and "I guess I fell into that category."

Ya know what makes Buffalo not "hip" or "cool" enough for professional athletes? The fact that even people that live in Buffalo talk bad about Buffalo. Like they have no love for their city. Maybe if the people that lived here had a little more respect for their city, the good word would actually spread a little more. The amount of things that were going on in that article he claims go on here too. Fireworks at Pilot Field on Friday nights. We just had a big concert at the arena. There's been concerts like crazy at Darien Lake. Sporting events, etc... Some people just like to complain.

I now live in Chicago and the point of the article is that the cities represent different lifestyles. Arguably, Buffalo is less appealing to young professional athletes. Some simply has to do with quantity of choice. Chicago is a bigger city and therefore simply offers more choice.

I now live in Chicago and the point of the article is that the cities represent different lifestyles. Arguably, Buffalo is less appealing to young professional athletes. Some simply has to do with quantity of choice. Chicago is a bigger city and therefore simply offers more choice.

ok. My point was that anything yiu want to do in Chicago yiu can do here in Buffalo. Yes, there might be more of those things to do in Chicago but they are offered here. Schoop talked about being in a tall building watching fireworks, admiring the view, listening to live music, watching sports games, conversing with all star athletes. With the exception of having a 40+ story penthouse, he can literally do all of those things here. Hell, in the summertime there's gobs of it to go around.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Schoop lives in Amherst so the drive time to downtown or the likes of NF or Lockport is really not too far off. Between all that area ther is literally a concert almost every night. Fireworks multiple times a week, if he wants he can hang around Allentown and have a Sloe Gin Fizz with Ryan Miller. There ya go, I just blew up his whole argument.

I'm not arguing your points, I'm arguing Schoops. He's an idiot. It's all about where you live. When I first moved to Vegas there was tons of things to do, after being there for about a year, the novelty wore off ban in talking about Vegas here. It was just another place to live. I was completely sick of all that was there to offer. Sure, on any given night I might find something new and exciting but that's no different from anywhere else. But ya know what I couldn't get in Vegas that I can get here in Buffalo? The feeling of good neighbors. The joy of hanging out with friends at a bomb fire. The small town feel still with plenty of things to do. Buffalo has great food, all the attractions you get in a big time city (althoufht not as big) and some property/housing that would cost someone millions in a place like Chicago or NYC for peanuts here.

I'm not saying that Biffalo is better than any other city. It just is for me. It's all about what that particular individual wants. And if Mike Schoop likes all the stuff he experienced in Chicago, we should all offer to help him move.

The thing with which I take issue is that Chicago is presented as the standard. Chicago, NY, LA, Miami, etc., are NOT the standard. Buffalo is clearly among the smallest, but has much more in common with most pro sport cities.

Furthermore, is there some list of players who decided against playing for Buffalo citing "lifestyle" reasons? That doesn't being and end with Jim Kelly? Oh, right there's McGahee whose judgement is obviously beyond reproach.

While there may be a valid conversation along these lines, I read that article as a snobbish humblebrag by a "Buffalonian" who thinks he's somehow more enlightened than the rest of us.

To be perfectly honest, Buffalo isn't the greatest place in the world for single guys over 25. That being said, A lot of people who live in Buffalo don't do the city any favors. For the most part, Buffalo has what other Colder weather cities have. It's super cheap, has a lot of features that a big city has, & you can raise a family quite well.

For sure, Buffalo isn't as great as it could be but I've never seen more buildings being built downtown. All my friends who come to visit love buffalo. As is the case with most things, your time in a place depends on the people you're with. You party with C.Biscuit, you would want to move to Buffalo. You party with Schoop, you are going to jump off the peace bridge.

I agree. Buffalo is changing for the better. Look at the developement going on downtown finally. Perception takes time to change' but it will change!

The thing with which I take issue is that Chicago is presented as the standard. Chicago, NY, LA, Miami, etc., are NOT the standard. Buffalo is clearly among the smallest, but has much more in common with most pro sport cities.

Furthermore, is there some list of players who decided against playing for Buffalo citing "lifestyle" reasons? That doesn't being and end with Jim Kelly? Oh, right there's McGahee whose judgement is obviously beyond reproach.

While there may be a valid conversation along these lines, I read that article as a snobbish humblebrag by a "Buffalonian" who thinks he's somehow more enlightened than the rest of us.

well said Flap

Also, Schopp is so dumb to write this article in regards to the Sabres. Someone mentioned it earlier but a good deal of the NHL is from overseas or the middle of nowhere Canada. What do they care if they are in Winnepeg, Buffalo or Nashville?

It is totally different in the NFL. The majority of players are from the South and became superstars in college. I live in SEC country and I can promise you that the life of these guys at 19 is like nothing we will ever see. They like that life and see opportunities in certain places to carry that on. Women hanging on them, VIP access to the hotspots and lots of options.

Buffalo does not offer that but does have some positives. All things being equal it will be hard for the Bills to recruit before they start winning. This is nothing new though. Apparently it's new to Schopp. I would have expected someone with his genius IQ to be a little more in tune.

Edited by Kirby Jackson