Is Buffalo not 'hip' or 'cool' enough for pro athletes

yo, are you serious? Well it's completely impossible to argue that Buffalo is Chi, NYC, Mia to say that we won't have any pro sports teams except the Bandits in 15 years is crazy. Are you just trolling here? I really can't tell.

Not I'm not trolling. Just trying to prepare myself for the worst. It seems to get a little worse every year. I know it may be a fatalistic view, but I seem to hear it more every year. I love Buffalo. I live in PA and visit Buffalo as often as I can. I just don't see us ever winning anything. Believe me that I know how the people of Buffalo feel. I work for a fortune 500 that wants to close my location because we are in the middle of nowhere. It is beautiful where I live, but people from the cities don't generally want to move here.

Edited by Chimp

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not I'm not trolling. Just trying to prepare myself for the worst. It seems to get a little worse every year. I know it may be a fatalistic view, but I seem to hear it more every year. I love Buffalo. I live in PA and visit Buffalo as often as I can. I just don't see us ever winning anything.

wow. That is a depressing outlook.

Buffalo is slowly getting better. (cue the "realists" to set me straight!) The Medical Campus, the Larkin district and Canalside are three places where positive tangible change is occurring.

PTR

I sincerely hope so!

I recently decided that after about 15 years of living in NYC, Boston and Chicago, that big city living no longer appeals to me. It was a soul searching process because it also involved me leaving a very successful career to start a new firm in the same industry. In a nutshell though, the attraction of big cities slowly wanes as you get older. I found myself not really taking advantage of what living in a city was all about and began to actually become more aggravated with things like the horrible traffic, huge crowds, high crime, high taxes, and things being more expensive. Even going to the grocery store is a chore in a big city, especially like Chicago. The appeal of Buffalo is really being able to live a life with less hassle, around people that are more down to earth, and in a city that is entirely more accessible and affordable. If you live in Buffalo and really want a big city feel for a weekend, you can go to Toronto or take a quick flight to Boston, NYC, or Chicago. In the meantime, you can enjoy a nice house and do the things you want to do without having to deal with the hassles. The reality for many people in big cities is that once you move out to the suburbs, you basically cut yourself off from the cities anyway so you essentially live in a place like Clarence without the option of going into Buffalo very often. My wife and I are very excited about our upcoming move. I am proud to be moving there and feel like we are sincerely going to enjoy our life there.

I sincerely hope so!

I recently decided that after about 15 years of living in NYC, Boston and Chicago, that big city living no longer appeals to me. It was a soul searching process because it also involved me leaving a very successful career to start a new firm in the same industry. In a nutshell though, the attraction of big cities slowly wanes as you get older. I found myself not really taking advantage of what living in a city was all about and began to actually become more aggravated with things like the horrible traffic, huge crowds, high crime, high taxes, and things being more expensive. Even going to the grocery store is a chore in a big city, especially like Chicago. The appeal of Buffalo is really being able to live a life with less hassle, around people that are more down to earth, and in a city that is entirely more accessible and affordable. If you live in Buffalo and really want a big city feel for a weekend, you can go to Toronto or take a quick flight to Boston, NYC, or Chicago. In the meantime, you can enjoy a nice house and do the things you want to do without having to deal with the hassles. The reality for many people in big cities is that once you move out to the suburbs, you basically cut yourself off from the cities anyway so you essentially live in a place like Clarence without the option of going into Buffalo very often. My wife and I are very excited about our upcoming move. I am proud to be moving there and feel like we are sincerely going to enjoy our life there.

Buffalo is a city where you can pretty drive anywhere in 20 minutes, rarely see a traffic jam, and find street parking pretty much anywhere you go. Try doing that in NYC or Chicago or DC. There is something top be said for that.

PTR

Disagree completely. WNY isn't fine, may be for the common everyday Joe but not for sports stars. Brad Richards signed in...oh yeah, the same place as Chris Drury. Buffalo isn't NYC, Chicago, LA, Miami or even PIttsburgh. Buffalo won't have any professional sports teams outside of the Bandits in 15 years.

Yikes. I'm a raging optimist compared to this poster. Winning cures everything. When the you win the media suddenly shows up, when the media shows up and you keep winning players want to stay and when players want to stay you can win even more and it all snowballs. Maybe this is the year. Happened in Seattle with a college coach "just like that" last year so why not here? This year's draft class and FAs need to stay healthy and play lights out, but that has happened in the past to other teams (eg. San Fran 2 years ago).

Buffalo is a city where you can pretty drive anywhere in 20 minutes, rarely see a traffic jam, and find street parking pretty much anywhere you go. Try doing that in NYC or Chicago or DC. There is something top be said for that.

PTR

I think this it true of all the decaying declining rust belt cities. The population is about 40% of its peak. So whatever infrastructure still remains intact was built with 2-3 times the capacity actually needed. Hence the high ratio of taxes to property value.

Here is perspective:

Wichita,Omaha and Tulsa are 3 cities almost 2x the size of Buffalo.

I forgot... Go bills.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think this it true of all the decaying declining rust belt cities. The population is about 40% of its peak. So whatever infrastructure still remains intact was built with 2-3 times the capacity actually needed. Hence the high ratio of taxes to property value.

Here is perspective:

I forgot... Go bills.

You need to use metro population. Urban decay means a lot of people are leaving the city and moving to the burbs. Amherst has over 100,000 residents now. Buffalo has the 49th biggest metro area in the country. And drive an hour and half, you have a city with a 5.5 million metro base, Toronto, and a city with over 1 million in Rochester. Lets not overstate things.

The 3 main reasons why I left buffalo are jobs, weather, & women (no offense to the beautiful girls there, there are just more other places.) But I've been all over the world people way overstate how amazing every other big city is. I love NYC, but you pay insane money to live like a college kid. Good luck driving or buying a house in LA. Boston's women & weather suck just as bad. SF has terrible traffic & cost a fortune.

Basically, if you had a bad life going up in buffalo, look in the mirror. Put me in Alaska and I'll have a great time. And let's not act like athletes are deep thinkers going to museums and orchestras (which buffalo has). They want money, women, weather, clubs, & winning. If Buffalo becomes winners, these threads will stop existing.

n 2012, the estimated population of the Wichita metropolitan area was 636,105, and that of the larger Wichita-Winfield combined statistical area was 672,393.[9]

Buffalo–Niagara–Cattaraugus Combined Statistical Area is home to 1,215,826 residents.

there you go bringing facts into the argument.

As I've said many times. Buffalo isn't just about the city. The downtown. It's the suburbs. They are better than many other cities that people compare them to with similar populations.

At the end of the day, Buffalo works for me. I've been tommy bigger cities and lived in bigger cities. I like what Buffalo has to offer. If you want city, you can have it. If yiu want burbs, you've for that too. You can go anywhere within 20-30 minutes.

Today I slept in until 9:00am, took my time with my fiancé getting ready, decided to go to Niagara Falls, Canada for the afternoon. While in Canada we went to MarineLand to ride some rides, pet some Elk, and watch a show with Bulugas, Dolphins, and Sea Lions. Had lunch there. Drive home where I am now. Just finished watching a DVRed episode of Ink Master and now were about to head down to the Inner Harbor where there is live bands playing. I'm sure ill end up eating some Jims Steak Out on my way home where I still have time to watch 1 or 2 of the DVRed episodes of Shark Week before I go to sleep.

Can you do all that in NYC or Chi all in one day? This isn't Ferris Buellers Day Off here. The traffic alone wouldn't allow you to do all that. And I've been to NYC many times where I get a ton done in a day. Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Freedom Tower. Sure, I can do all that, but at the end of the day there's no time to relax and I'm exhausted by the end of the day. What I did today is like a normal day in the life of a Buffalonian. Couldn't even imagine what I could have done had I got up at 6-7am.

Here is perspective:

I forgot... Go bills.

Added all together maybe. :doh:

Buffalo ranks #50 1.2M pop.

--------------------------------------

Tulsa #54 1.1M

Omaha #64 0.92M

Wichita #82 0.67M

Keep swingin' for the fences!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Added all together maybe. :doh:

Buffalo ranks #50 1.2M pop.