Drew Brees leaves $3 tip on take-out order

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tip the driver when I get home delivery. But I don't think I have ever tipped the counter lady when I've picked grub up myself. What gives a person the right to post a copy of your transactional receipt online?

heck yea, that driver did you a service. Tip a driver.... But the girl who rang in you're order? Come on.

Nothing to see hear.

I tip on take-out - every single time, but for pizza. We've covered this here before, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

That bag of food didn't just appear. Someone took your order, made your salad (without onions, extra tomatoes, and dressing on the side), packed up your dinner so it wouldn't spill, packed your utensils, napkins and sauces. Then they checked that your order was complete. THEN when you received your bag. There is also a lot of back and forth about who has to work those shifts and what they get paid for doing so. Those servers are no different than the ones that wait on your sit down dinners, other than performing less per customer for more customers.

So, I tip $2 to $4 on my takeout. It's not 15-20%, but I didn't receive 15-20% service. However, I DID receive service and quite often by people paid as wait staff, but not getting a normal shift to make their tip money.

Argue all you want for your personal cheapness, and argue you will, but try doing a search or two about this and maybe you'll think differently.

I tip on take-out - every single time, but for pizza. We've covered this here before, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

That bag of food didn't just appear. Someone took your order, made your salad (without onions, extra tomatoes, and dressing on the side), packed up your dinner so it wouldn't spill, packed your utensils, napkins and sauces. Then they checked that your order was complete. THEN when you received your bag. There is also a lot of back and forth about who has to work those shifts and what they get paid for doing so. Those servers are no different than the ones that wait on your sit down dinners, other than performing less per customer for more customers.

So, I tip $2 to $4 on my takeout. It's not 15-20%, but I didn't receive 15-20% service. However, I DID receive service and quite often by people paid as wait staff, but not getting a normal shift to make their tip money.

Argue all you want for your personal cheapness, and argue you will, but try doing a search or two about this and maybe you'll think differently.

But who gets the tip? You tip your waitperson because you know they'll get (at least a portion of) the tip. You tip a bartender for the same reason. Same with a delivery person. You are tipping for service ... never the cook who made the food.

For takeout, that means you're tipping the person who put your food into containers and bagged it up. I'm not cheap (okay, I am, but I'm a decent tipper) - I just don't see anyone deserving a tip for takeout.

Himmm. I spent 25 years in the kitchen slicing tomatoes, making salads, packing up to go items and never got a dime.

do you tip at mcdonalds ?(if you go there, but im sure you get my point) .. most take-out places do pay minimum wage unlike a wait staff.

Only place I tip at the counter is Jim's Steak Out. It's not takeout because i always eat it there. But I always tip a buck or 2. It used to really hook me up downtown on weekends when there would be a line out the door and they would let me walk right in and order ahead of everyone. But those times I usually tipped like $10-15. I'd usually get all my buddies, make them all drop $3-5 before we get in line and they'd always hook is up.

do you tip at mcdonalds ?(if you go there, but im sure you get my point) .. most take-out places do pay minimum wage unlike a wait staff.

Wait staff makes minimum wage and are usually the only ones on staff that only get minimum wage due to the fact they're the places sales people and work on a commission.

Edited by Chef Jim

In staying with Chef's contribution:

7RcN3fA.gif

tipping is out of hand in this nation.I honestly wish it would just go away all together. I always tip well, but it use to be 15% 10 years ago. Somehow prices have gone up on everything and we are now expected to tip 20% on the higher price

as for takeout that is not a service, if you have someone waiting on you that is a tip-able service, or delivering to you that is a service. Cooks in the back don't get tipped so why should a takeout order be any different . I don't tip the persn behind the cashier at a department store, not going to tip the cashier at a takeout place

Himmm. I spent 25 years in the kitchen slicing tomatoes, making salads, packing up to go items and never got a dime.

exactly... sick and tired of the abuse in tipping that is happening and now EXPECTED... if I regular a takeout joint and get continuous awesome service and product I'll throw a few bucks in, but not just because.

Sit down meals I am almost always 20% unless my drink glass stays empty for too long or your bad day attitude intrudes on my space then the % points goes down

Edited by Snorom

tipping is out of hand in this nation.I honestly wish it would just go away all together. I always tip well, but it use to be 15% 10 years ago. Somehow prices have gone up on everything and we are now expected to tip 20% on the higher price

thats why i tip 20% on 1969 prices. its economical, while still at a generous percentage.

Did the person that took the receipt get fired.. If I was the owner , that person would be gone.

Pay for waitress - http://www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp?state=Louisiana

Federal minimum wage does not apply to employees that are deemed 'tipped employees' I'm a bar manager and all wait staff (who are the ones that put together each and every take out order placed) are paid $2.13 per hour. They are taxed on their tips earned and not one of my employees collect a biweekly paycheck over $10... I'm obviously biased in the situation because I work in the industry but I tip 20% on all take out orders because I realize that putting my order together correctly takes time away from them tending to their in house customers... just my 2 cents

Agreed. I usually will tip a few dollars especially if its one of the places that I frequent. If its just a sub or something ill throw in a buck or two and the change. I'm sure most of the workers at take out places like that aren't knocking down mega dollars and if a couple bucks can put a smile on their face or even a beer in their hand I'm all for it. I consider myself a good tipper and have a soft spot for people in the service industry in general. I travel a lot for work and stay in hotels and eat out all the time. If seen some pretty awful behavior by customers over the years. I understand you expect a standard of service but I hate when I see people treat servers like dirt just because they feel some kind of entitlement.