What is Brad Smith's role this year?

I do agree with you that he is an average wr. However, since we have so many young wrs on the roster it never hurts to have a veteran presence on the field and in the locker room. He also does bring a lot of special teams value as well.

A "veteran presence" is of absolutely no use to a talented young WR you had to cut to keep this guy.

Not trying to hate on Smith, but I think too many of the young guys are stepping up to use a spot for him.

Brad Smith is a leader on this team. He has been doing good in practice. He is above average as a WR, though not starting calibre on most teams. He is above average as a KR/PR. He is as good as 90% of the backup QB's in this league. He also is an all around athlete that can step in and contribute in a bind. Given our history then I think it makes too much sense to keep Smith. Of course, this is lost to many because they'd rather just hate on the guy.

They keep six, so, Johnson, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, Rogers and? As of right now it appears to be either Hogan or Smith. I'm sorry if this is close I'm keeping Hogan, more potential.

ineould have added Kaufman based on potential as well. I also agree they keep 6 and Brad is not in their future plans.

IMO, the only reason he's still here is because he took a pay cut Nd in the event of either an injury in camp, or they just don't think Woods, Rogers, or Goodwin have the talent. But IMO they have already surpassed them.

Brad Smith is a leader on this team. He has been doing good in practice. He is above average as a WR, though not starting calibre on most teams. He is above average as a KR/PR. He is as good as 90% of the backup QB's in this league. He also is an all around athlete that can step in and contribute in a bind. Given our history then I think it makes too much sense to keep Smith. Of course, this is lost to many because they'd rather just hate on the guy.

This tends to be where I stand. If he didn't have that contract people wouldn't have a problem with him as a 6th WR and core ST guy. He now has taken a pay cut and belongs on the roster.

They keep six, so, Johnson, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, Rogers and? As of right now it appears to be either Hogan or Smith. I'm sorry if this is close I'm keeping Hogan, more potential.

Exactly, those 5 are locks to make team barring injury or off field issues. The 6th spot is a 3 man race between Easley, Smith, and Hogan. I had my money in Easley given his athletic gifts and cheaper price tag than Smith, but Smith reatructured and Hogan has been standing out, so now seems like a tight race for final spot among those 3 and I won't be surprised by any of those 3 now winning it

Above average WR---but not starting calibre? What's an average WR? How is he on the bench (on this team, no less) if he is "above average"?

Better than 90% of the backups in this league? At what?? He has thrown 9 passes in 7 years, completed 4 and had 2 ints. Curtis Painter was a better QB!

KR? He has returned, on average, 1 KR per game since he has been in Buffalo. Last year he was tied for 24th in KRs. He isn't listed in the top 20 for average return in most lists because he didn't have the minimum number of returns necessary.

PR? He has returned 2 punts in his career. None with the Bills.

We were in a lot of binds last year, didn;t see him getting us out of any. What situations would he step in this year?

The myth of Smith is strong and inexplicable here. Let's just say he is a decent special teams player and now lot cheaper and leave it at that.

Marrone made mention the other day he may only keep 2 QBs. Let's also not forget that while it's not common, it also isn't unheard of to keep 7 WRs. Especially when a handful of them are (are or poised to be) impact special teamers. It may not be likely, but I can easily imagine a scenario where both Smith and Easley stick as the 6th and 7th WRs.

I don't deny that Hogan is making a case for himself, but I just don't think he has the talent to stick. I have to assume that if he did, he wouldn't have been cut by the Dolphins last year, who really only had two established WRs. Someone on the Bills would really have to take a step back or suffer a somewhat serious injury for Hogan to supplant the guys ahead of him.

Above average WR---but not starting calibre? What's an average WR? How is he on the bench (on this team, no less) if he is "above average"?

Better than 90% of the backups in this league? At what?? He has thrown 9 passes in 7 years, completed 4 and had 2 ints. Curtis Painter was a better QB!

KR? He has returned, on average, 1 KR per game since he has been in Buffalo. Last year he was tied for 24th in KRs. He isn't listed in the top 20 for average return in most lists because he didn't have the minimum number of returns necessary.

We were in a lot of binds last year, didn;t see him getting us out of any. What situations would he step in this year?

The myth of Smith is strong and inexplicable here. Let's just say he is a decent special teams player and now lot cheaper and leave it at that.

well done Weo. Well done.

An above average WR in this league is the #3 guy. Most rosters carry 6 WR's. We have a slightly higher bar then most at WR but he could crack the top 3 on most rosters.

Curtis Painter was a very good backup QB in Indianapolis, a team designed to pass. When you put him at QB and use him right it is not the throwing aspect you worry about. It is what he can do with the ball. The guy is not even 30 years old with a lot in the tank.

How many of those kickoff returns are by a guy who can step in and play QB in a pinch or make quality contributions at WR?

He can still do it.

I didn't really see anyone doing anything last year...

He is a veteran offensive plug-in play. For the right price is that so bad?

As I just learned about Steve Johnson going down grabbing his hammy, this is a good time to remind everyone that Brad Smith represents quality depth (he proved it) at the WR position, in addition to his selflessness and leadership .. in addition to his ST play.

With Smith restructuring his contract, I am inclined to believe that he sees big things this year for the Bills. Surely he could have landed elsewhere on a roster as a 3rd or 4th WR / and definitely would have drawn attention as a PR / KR. But he instead worked a deal where he could fight for a roster spot just for the opportunity to stay in Buffalo. My guess is that he sees a lot of good things for the Bills this year (and ones to come), to the point he will take his chances. I see this as a very encouraging sign for this team. I don't want to drink too much of the kool-aid just yet, but the kool-aid man has just busted through the wall and shouted his catch phrase..."OH YEAH"

Every offseason we've had him we've foolishly had him working in the quarterback room. Given a chance to focus on WR there's no reason why he couldn't be effective. He has good hands, runs decent routes, good measurables, and is a good runner so should be effective in RAC in some of our west coast stuff.

He is probably not one of our top 2 WRs after the draft we had but can still be a useful player, plus contribute on ST.

This tends to be where I stand. If he didn't have that contract people wouldn't have a problem with him as a 6th WR and core ST guy. He now has taken a pay cut and belongs on the roster.

He'll be on the roster if he earns his spot. If it's close between Smith and some other young WR the team doesn't want to expose to waivers then he won't make it. Why don't we just let this play out?

He'll be on the roster if he earns his spot. If it's close between Smith and some other young WR the team doesn't want to expose to waivers then he won't make it. Why don't we just let this play out?

because some people still believe he's good. Just like some people believe Stevie isn't.

If Kolb's freak training camp injury is significant, Smith's Tuel's role just expanded.

Oh course I could be wrong, but I highly doubt we'll see Smith in a red jersey. All signs have pointed to him playing WR exclusively, and I don't think a QB injury changes that.