So sick and tired of (most) local Buffalo media guys...

eball

Just a little addition to the topic -- Graham blocked me on twitter today, for of all things commenting that the local media was scooped by national guys on Mario's status. Blocked me! Tell me there isn't an attitude there.

Wow, he blocked YOU? The EBall???? The audacity.

The Bills have a long standing policy of manipulating the local media by giving "scoops" to national reporters instead. It's been going on since the Super Bowl era. Before that, nobody in the national media cared enough to take the phone call. It bothers the reporters who have to follow this team for a living but it doesn't reflect on their work. The Bills have control of that. What they don't have is control of what happens on the field.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, there is a long line building up around here to kiss JW's keester. I take the side of those who are frustrated with the low quality of sports reporting in WNY. But how does it differ from the crud that the NFL Network or ESPN put out? Or the sorry condition of broadcast news in this country? It is all shallow, repetitive & largely useless. At least there's Joe B & Gaughan & JW who do a good job most all the time.

Edited by yungmack

Buffalo sports media has devolved completely. It is god-awful. Especially harrington and gleason. Sullivan is bad too. Tim graham suddenly joined the dummy brigade too. He used to be better than that. Schopp and the bulldog fail to cover the teams anymore either. They just look for the best "story" and take idiot caller after idiot caller.

Buscaglia is excellent... its going to sting when we lose him to a national outlet or network

You called it. Gleason is the absolute worst because he is a total hack of a writer. At least Sully and Graham can write...............But, they're just aholes now.

And, you're right on Joe B. Mark Gaughan has been great ever since taking over for Carucci and doesn't seem to have these hissy fits............And, I really like JW on here, but haven't read enough of his stuff like I have these Buffalo News writers to really comment.

Just a little addition to the topic -- Graham blocked me on twitter today, for of all things commenting that the local media was scooped by national guys on Mario's status. Blocked me! Tell me there isn't an attitude there.

I like reading Graham his articles, that said, I totally unfollowed him years ago. He doesn't handle social media well and as such shouldnt be using it or mark his account private. He blocks people for the wierdest reasons, and feels the need to tweet about it too. Silly really, then again totally his right to do so. Also you choose to follow him and include him in tweets, that was your choice and your right.

With regards to my earlier comment, I did indeed not read past the topic line and tags, which I normally always do before replying. I had just read the other thread of crap.

For all you guys who hate the local media because you believe all they do is stir the pot to create a stir...TA-DA!!! I guess this thread is mission accomplished for them. They're gotten people to talk about them.

The Buffalo media continues it's lazy journalism. Take a poll of things people are interested in...if you exclude Rex Ryan from the poll, you have about four people who care about Mario's feet.

You'd think after the 3rd time, the reporter would have realized he wasn't going to get any information.

Wow, only 3 others besides me?

Lets not lose sight of the fact that all of the Buffalo media is essentially competing against each other to get a "scoop". A press conference is a feeding frenzy of writers all trying to frantically gulp down information.

They're like baby birds fighting for morsels from mamma birds mouth!

Except it's clear many of the exclusive interviews and scoops go to either Bills internal media (Chris Brown or Ferris Buehler, bless her heart) or national media (whoever it was, Fox, that got the story on Mario's foot yesterday).

EBall is in a small but vocal group of Bills fans who blame the Bills problems in great part on outside forces like fans with negative opinions of the organization, the critical media, NFL scheduling conspiracies, curses, electromagnetic fields, UFO's etc..

Actual organizational accountability is not part of the solution to them. They believe if they can keep all outside forces as silent and still as possible that the team will finally be free to execute the task at hand.

Hence, this ridiculous "look at my important opnion that was already expressed by other likeminded lemmings a dozen times in the other thread" thread. :thumbdown:

I loved this.

Man, there is a long line building up around here to kiss JW's keester. I take the side of those who are frustrated with the low quality of sports reporting in WNY. But how does it differ from the crud that the NFL Network or ESPN put out? Or the sorry condition of broadcast news in this country? It is all shallow, repetitive & largely useless. At least there's Joe B & Gaughan & JW who do a good job most all the time.

Yeah, really. National media is so horrible and uninformed that its a joke.

I always thought it would be better if a local media guy joined the tv broadcasting team on Sundays. That way we wouldn't have to listen to the same 5 surfacy talking points every week.

No, you didn't. But Graham and a slew of other local media people ran with a story painting Marrone as a hot head using edited footage to support that image.

WGR actually played the entire exchange and I commend both you and Marrone for regaining composure - although I hesitate to imply that Marrone lacked composure at any point.

JW- I think you're a great reporter and it's a shame you seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back, but I also think that parts of "doing your job" are antagonistic. So I think it's fair to criticize the media as a whole for manufacturing a story. Because Marrone would have no reason to "grow annoyed" if you guys weren't annoying. Again, I recognize your right to be annoying, and that the "badgering" can result in stories. But I still don't think the story should be, "Look at Marrone's Reaction to Us."

Rather than headlines reading "Marrone is Annoyed," IMO a better one might be "Marrone Doesn't Have Answers on Mario's Status." If you or others want to insinuate Marrone isn't being forthcoming, write it in your story and cite evidence. To questions a man's integrity- to his face- and then act shocked that he has a mild reaction seems a little sensationalist to me.

Regardless, keep up the good work. I'm a big fan, and I hope my post helps you better understand where this criticism is coming from. I don't envy your position as a public figure, and have the utmost respect that you are willing to face such criticism and even enter into a dialogue about said criticisms.

To me, this is the largest issue.

EBall is in a small but vocal group of Bills fans who blame the Bills problems in great part on outside forces like fans with negative opinions of the organization, the critical media, NFL scheduling conspiracies, curses, electromagnetic fields, UFO's etc..

Actual organizational accountability is not part of the solution to them. They believe if they can keep all outside forces as silent and still as possible that the team will finally be free to execute the task at hand.

Hence, this ridiculous "look at my important opnion that was already expressed by other likeminded lemmings a dozen times in the other thread" thread. :thumbdown:

I've read many of eball's posts, and I've never been of the opinion that he blames the organization's failures on outside influences. I also believe that your assertion that anyone that agrees with him regarding the Buffalo media are "lemmings"...some of us worked in the media and have an opinion based on experience. Is our opinion not credible simply because it agrees with a poster that you do not?

I've read many of eball's posts, and I've never been of the opinion that he blames the organization's failures on outside influences. I also believe that your assertion that anyone that agrees with him regarding the Buffalo media are "lemmings"...some of us worked in the media and have an opinion based on experience. Is our opinion not credible simply because it agrees with a poster that you do not?

thank you kindly, eball is among the best of the best on here, and I say that not just because I agree with his football logic 99.44% of the time

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham25m

Just a heads up: We're going to write about Mario Williams again today. And you're going to read it.

--

He's absolutely right. Even if this whole thing is pointless drama bull ****, it gets "ratings", and that's all that matters. Threads like these just add to the attention they crave. News isn't about news anymore, it's about advertisement revenue which is based solely on reader numbers.

Just a heads up: We're going to write about Mario Williams again today. And you're going to read it.

--

He's absolutely right. Even if this whole thing is pointless drama bull ****, it gets "ratings", and that's all that matters. Threads like these just add to the attention they crave. News isn't about news anymore, it's about advertisement revenue which is based solely on reader numbers.

Sorry Timmah, I won't read it. He's now on my no read list joining Bucky, Sully, and Hissy fit Harrington. I refuse to read anything they write because I usually just end up getting pissed at how terrible it is.

Edited by biglukes

--

But threads like these also point out the "vulture mentality" (and the pseudo Woodward and Bernstein persona) of many of the journalists. I hope they can take something away from what we, as consumers, are saying.

If you can find a single post of mine that ever blamed "outside influences" for the Bills' failures on the field I'll gladly buy you a beer at the home opener. Just PM me with the offending content.

thank you kindly, eball is among the best of the best on here, and I say that not just because I agree with his football logic 99.44% of the time

Thanks guys, you are too kind. In any event, I think this thread has run its course and I'll close it this morning.

To jw --

I do enjoy your AP articles and have always believed you try to report what's going on without the snide commentary we see all too often out of Sullivan, Graham, and Maiorana. At the rate he's going, Graham will likely be successful in blocking all of his Twitter followers by the end of the year.

I believe your questioning of Marrone yesterday was excessive, but understand the job you are doing as well. Carry on.