Brad Smith Renegotiates Contract

Legit receiver? here are his receiving stats after 7 years Brad Smith --- 7years in the league --- 101 receptions --- 949 yards ---5 TD's. Most legit WR's do their damage way before starting year 8.

So what your saying is, minus Stevie, he has 70 catches for almost 700 yards and 4 tds more than the rest of the receivers projected to make the roster, combined..... Heck, 101 receptions, 949 yards and 5 tds more than 3 of them combined. We're talking about a role player, not a guy expected to be our #1 and simply being a smart veteran player might be something that brings balance to a YOUNG group. When they look for a guy to emulate at practice, or if a couple of them really struggle, injury strikes - were better having brad smith.... Back in march there might have been better options but now that August is here I'd rather he make the 53 than not

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine, I guess... Seemed to me like he was crowding the field for the young recievers, but whatever. I see Brad Smith as a QB. Period.

On the bright side, maybe this'll result in TJ Graham getting the boot.

So my question would be, did you count the Cheaters* bench players?

and btw you forgot some, Fitz for one (but I understand he is no longer "on the team" either are a lot of guys, like the coach and GM).

No, I didn't. I counted some bench players from both teams, but only guys that have notable contracts and play notable minutes.

Anyone else find it interesting that a Ravens reporter broke this?

If its true, either the local guys are snoozing or OBD is in super stealth mode.

It's not notable. Ravensinsider is one of the best NFL insiders out there. He reports on the whole NFL.

Fine, I guess... Seemed to me like he was crowding the field for the young recievers, but whatever. I see Brad Smith as a QB. Period.

On the bright side, maybe this'll result in TJ Graham getting the boot.

It's comments like this that lead me to believe some folks read absolutely no news regarding the Bills during the offseason.

Smith hasn't played with the QBs since Marrone took the job, and Graham has reportedly had a terrific offseason and made tons of plays during OTAs. What team cuts a 2nd year 3rd round WR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So what your saying is, minus Stevie, he has 70 catches for almost 700 yards and 4 tds more than the rest of the receivers projected to make the roster, combined..... Heck, 101 receptions, 949 yards and 5 tds more than 3 of them combined. We're talking about a role player, not a guy expected to be our #1 and simply being a smart veteran player might be something that brings balance to a YOUNG group. When they look for a guy to emulate at practice, or if a couple of them really struggle, injury strikes - were better having brad smith.... Back in march there might have been better options but now that August is here I'd rather he make the 53 than not

No, I was referring to a comment that maybe now he would become a legit receiver. I don't think he ever will. Someone along the way would have seen his potential. As for a veteran role model, well I guess he's been around long enough. But do huge ego(I'm guessing at least one will be) rookies want to listen to a guy that really is a role player? i don't know.

Honestly he has such limited time as a receiver in Buffalo I have no idea how good a route runner he even is. If he makes the final 53 one would guess he will be buried on the depth chart, a ST teams player (which last year he rarely came out of the end zone). He did take on to the house granted. But getting back to someones comment that he has the potential like CJ to bust one every time he has the ball. No, I do not see that. In the end sure keep him this is a team starved for anyone that can make a play. I doubt we will see the wildcat (thankfully).

It's comments like this that lead me to believe some folks read absolutely no news regarding the Bills during the offseason.

Smith hasn't played with the QBs since Marrone took the job, and Graham has reportedly had a terrific offseason and made tons of plays during OTAs. What team cuts a 2nd year 3rd round WR?

I see Brad Smith as a QB. Period.

I see TJ Graham as a huge liability. He's a kid that should be on a KR team. That's it.

What team cuts a 2nd year 3rd round WR?

A team that realizes he will never fill the role they had in mind when they drafted him... A team that sees him as a relic from a failed regime.

Thre truth is that I think brad Smith is a great athlete, and a great guy... I just don't think he's a natural receiver. All that said, part of me is glad they found some purpose for him.

Edited by #34fan

Lots of people on THIS BOARD thought he'd be gone. He is a good football player and now that we have a coaching staff his value will become evident fairly quickly. Keep in mind..... many of these dweebs are fantasy football losers. There is a difference between knowledgeable fans and fantasy dweebs. Fantasy dweebs are gamblers. Nothing more. Know little about the game. Route against their own team to make 2 dollars. Zero's every one of em in my opinion.

The Buffalo Bills are a better football team with Brad Smith on the roster. Period.

well said

He did take one to the house granted. But getting back to someones comment that he has the potential like CJ to bust one every time he has the ball. No, I do not see that. In the end sure keep him this is a team starved for anyone that can make a play. I doubt we will see the wildcat (thankfully).

I dont want to ever see cj or mcfumble returining kicks. Really just for injury purposes. Brad is BIG and fast. He can return every kick imo and not get hurt or fumble. Even Cj has been a fumbler when he gets hit hard, hes not that big. But again why risk injury for a KR when Brad is 90-95% as effective as CJ and already our ST guy and backup WR?

I see Brad Smith as a QB. Period.

I see TJ Graham as a huge liability. He's a kid that should be on a KR team. That's it.

A team that realizes he will never fill the role they had in mind when they drafted him... A team that sees him as a relic from a failed regime.

I'm really trying to be a "kinder, gentler" eball when responding to posts like this, but you make it difficult. You believe you're capable of determining TJ Graham is a liability and "relic" after one season? Really? Would you care to research the databank of NFL history suggesting that's one of the most ridiculous statements ever made?

I'm really trying to be a "kinder, gentler" eball when responding to posts like this, but you make it difficult. You believe you're capable of determining TJ Graham is a liability and "relic" after one season? Really? Would you care to research the databank of NFL history suggesting that's one of the most ridiculous statements ever made?

Exactly.

Legit receiver? here are his receiving stats after 7 years Brad Smith --- 7years in the league --- 101 receptions --- 949 yards ---5 TD's. Most legit WR's do their damage way before starting year 8.

Look we need a solid Vet other then Stevie.

Smith has speed and size, and i saw him make a few nice catches last year.

It may not work out, but i am sure that the new contract address' this possibility.

Not this again. I think Kelly the Dog already provided the stats proving the Bills were very effective in 3rd down situations with Smith running the 'Cat.

Also, Brad's value on ST goes beyond that of a returner; he might be the best coverage guy on the unit.

Brad Smith is a good, versatile football player who provides value at multiple positions and is an asset to this or any other NFL team. The under-utilization of him by a coaching staff no longer in the building should not be held against him.

Don't know what else to ell you. Look it up yourself. And, again, if this new offensive staff has EJ, CJ, Freddie, and these speed receivers and they STILL are trotting out the wildcat, we're in trouble. Sending Smith into the backfield signals to the defense exactly what he's going to do (hint: he won't be passing the ball).

Hearing posters going on and on about all the things they envision Smith capable of doing is like listening to a kid describe an imaginary friend. And where is the evidence that he he is a leader in the locker room? First off, backups can't lead a locker room--and even if he was a leader, he would never have allowed scrubs like choice mouth off to the press, calling out his team mates.

In this league, over 7 seasons, he has only, briefly, stood out as a KR. I hope Marrone has told him that if he wants to keep getting paid as a Bill, he will have to venture out of the endzone more than once a game.

Oh Puh-lease.

I fear your harsh judgement about as much as I fear kittens. If you like doing research, please research anything I've ever done to make you think I give two s__s about your opinions. -I'd wanna see that.

In the meantime, you'll have to forgive me for not taking up a defensive posture every time you try to initiate a silly, unwarranted, cat fight. -Here's hoping you get a life sometime this century :lol:

Buh-bye!

Judging from Whaley's comments on Friday, it doesn't appear that the Bills view TJ Graham as "a relic."

We can all agree that stats alone don't tell the whole story, but nonetheless here are some rookie year stats that the rat-on-crack fans might find interesting. Then again, they probably won't.

Bobby Moore 29 receptions 500 yards 3 TD for St Louis, but his 3rd year in The League and for The bills 36 receptions 433 yards 4 TDs

Peerless Price 31 receptions 393 yards 3 TD

Eric Moulds 20 receptions 279 yards 2 TD

T. J. Graham 31 receptions 322 yards 1 TD

Oh, some might know Bobby Moore as Ahmad Rashad.

Then again, they might not.

Oh Puh-lease.

I fear your harsh judgement about as much as I fear kittens. If you like doing research, please research anything I've ever done to make you think I give two s__s about your opinions. -I'd wanna see that.

In the meantime, you'll have to forgive me for not taking up a defensive posture every time you try to initiate a silly, unwarranted, cat fight. -Here's hoping you get a life sometime this century :lol:

Buh-bye!

You made a ridiculous statement and follow it up with an even worse reply. Grats

Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams, Leodis McKelvin, Rian Lindell. Those are the only players on the team that have gotten more than one contract from the Bills.

Just for comparison:

The Patriots have double that number.

(This isn't counting guys that are bench players because those guys are cheap and easy to resign).

You have unintentionally made a key point, because you are either ignoring an obvious cause and effect relationship, or reversing it:

Yes, we have not re-signed many of our players. It's likely that we haven't done this 2x as much as the Pats. But: Over the course of that time, or at this point in time(doesn't matter), what results have the Pats gotten, and what have the Bills?

Why would I reward another contract...to guys who have played poorly?

Why wouldn't I reward another contract...to guys who have played well?

Another way to say this is: "Fox Butterfield, is that you"? Link: http://online.wsj.co...4228137272.html

The fallacy here: Re-signing ---> winning.

Wrong. Winning ---> re-signing.

The cause is winning, and re-signing is the effect, on average. And, since you are talking in terms of the entire team, and not 1 player, then yeah, speaking in terms of the aggregate is appropriate.

N'est-ce pa?

In the case of Brad Smith: being merely OK, and not being the cause of winning, but also not being the cause of losing, and likely having more to contribute != contract extension and a bump. No. It = contract restructuring and a pay cut.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Dont know the terms of this contract change....The reason he has been kept around.....

1. After SJ there isnt much experience in the receivers

2. He has special teams experience

3. He is an emergency QB...may get some time at QB just to make it so Tuel knows he isnt safe as 3rd QB.

4. He has the athletic ability to allow Buffalo to get creative in the offense.

Is there a guarentee he makes the team...no...... He could easily be a last week cut if the rookies do a good job in learning the offense.

If he earns a job in this team he could be budgeted in the roster as a special teamer.

Dont know the terms of this contract change....The reason he has been kept around.....

1. After SJ there isnt much experience in the receivers

2. He has special teams experience

3. He is an emergency QB...may get some time at QB just to make it so Tuel knows he isnt safe as 3rd QB.

4. He has the athletic ability to allow Buffalo to get creative in the offense.

Is there a guarentee he makes the team...no...... He could easily be a last week cut if the rookies do a good job in learning the offense.

If he earns a job in this team he could be budgeted in the roster as a special teamer.

Also, he was by far the best catching the ball and taking a knee in the end zone last year. Hard to put a price on those skills.

I don't think the Bills should use a rooster spot for a soon to be thirty ST player.

All good but lets hope all of our "rooster" spots are saved for screaming chickens !! .............of the TD scoring variety !

GO BILLS !

jb

We can all agree that stats alone don't tell the whole story, but nonetheless here are some rookie year stats that the rat-on-crack fans might find interesting. Then again, they probably won't.

Bobby Moore 29 receptions 500 yards 3 TD for St Louis, but his 3rd year in The League and for The bills 36 receptions 433 yards 4 TDs

Peerless Price 31 receptions 393 yards 3 TD

Eric Moulds 20 receptions 279 yards 2 TD

T. J. Graham 31 receptions 322 yards 1 TD

Oh, some might know Bobby Moore as Ahmad Rashad.

Then again, they might not.

I know him as Mr. Phylicia Allen.

GO BILLS!!!