Levitre having trouble with one of his knees

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common man. Poz was Ralph's pick. He lusted after Penn State and their LBs. That skews everything w/w/t an objective analysis.

SJBF is anything but common, from what I've seen. Or were you referring to Poz? His hair is certainly not common.

I still don't see how you justify paying a guy who hasn't even made a token Pro Bowl, a $9M/year contract? That's how the Bills ended-up with Dockery.

C'mon old friend.....you're certainly not comparing Levitre and Dockery, are you?

Levitre has been an asset to this team from the moment he arrived in town. He doesn't make highlight reels because he isn't known for pancake blocks, but he is a top pass blocking left guard, and is no slouch on running downs. And with 10 million guaranteed, this would have allowed them to get out of the contract with little pain if need be. And please be honest.....I assume that you are fond of Glenn. Don't you think that playing next to Levitre was great for his development?

With the loss of Levitre, the Bills would appear to be starting the season thin at the guard position. This is a shame because this team will be fielding a running back who is a home run threat and plays best in space, a rookie quarterback who will probably need that extra time, and a vet qb who has already had his brains beat in. Instead of keeping Levitre, they are chasing Eugene Parker and a safety, and drafted 2 more.

Sorry, I cannot condone this.

Edited by Bill from NYC

As I understood it, there was no 'official' offer because the numbers were too far apart. It also depends on what you mean by 'offer'. If you mean the Bills offered him a contract, then no. Levitre mentioned that they had talked with his agent.

NFL players know that second contract is where you need to hit the jackpot. You do whatever it takes to hit the jackpot. If your current team jackpots you, fine, it not, you go where the jackpot is. Nothing else matters. Simple. Levitre did exactly what he needed to do (get the big guaranteed money) and is now thanking himself for doing it as his body starts to break down. Titans bet and maybe have lost. We'll see. It happens. hard to argue with how the Bills played this one with their switch to no huddle speed offense. Don't need pro bowl o-lineman to do that... just good players who are in great shape. they intend to outrun and outhustle the other team.. who knows if it will work

Possibly.

Supposedly the Bills matched Jacksonville's 6-year $42 million $15 guaranteed offer to Poz two years ago (which if there was not a regime bias) means they valued Poz more than they did Levitre, who got 6 years, $46 million with $10 million guaranteed.

Another possibility is that the Bills thought that they were closer to being a winner in 2011 than they believe they are now.

If the Poz thing is true, that tells you a lot about the desirability of this franchise from a player perspective. Not a good fact if the Bills matched and Poz left anyway. This franchise is not attractive unless you are at the very beginning or the very end of your career. Kind of like a minor league baseball team.

"Details on the guard's surgery were vague Friday. The Tennessean noted that Levitre underwent the procedure last season, but he played all 16 games for the Buffalo Bills. It's possible that the surgery occurred just after the season in early January. Levitre did have an injection in the knee late last October, but former coach Chan Gailey made it clear that it was not a surgical procedure.

Levitre still was dealing with soreness this week and acknowledged that the recovery is going slower than expected. The good news is he hopes to resume individual drills before OTAs end."

http://www.nfl.com/n...om-knee-surgery

You don't say?

Gets me deep.

Maybe the FO knew better than to give him a movie star contract.

Good stuff. Thanks CB.

I don't remember hearing anything about any of this.

Seriously? Didn't see post #2? :ph34r::nana:

I have zero problem with A.L. doing what he did - it was a one time grab for the golden ring - and he got it. I hope his career goes well. That said, I also think our FO knew a wee mite more than Bud Adams' crew and let them overpay Andy. Why would The Bills sink $40m in a LG with knee issues? An abundance of cap cash on hand an the team is so set at all other positions that they would say, sure... what the hell - just give it to him?

Lord help us when our current crop of youngsters get a few years under their belts and hopefully a large measure of success behind them and then start getting targeted in Free Agency. This board couldn't survive an off season the likes that The Ravens have had. Bunch of hand-wringing towel-biting knee-jerking hissy-fit-throwing emotionally-imbalanced rock throwers will have a complete melt down. :lol:

People can mention it without it being 'sour grapes'. He's a 49 million dollar guard who's greatest asset is mobility. The Bills were trying to sign him so they likely weren't too concerned with any injuries.

who cares about Andy Levitre? He played left guard on a team that won 16 games the past 3 seasons. He is a good, not great player. Football in the trenches is a physical game. He is not a physical offensive lineman. Marrone knows O line. If Levitre was a consistently dominant force, than don't you think Marrone would have pushed hard to keep him? The guys we have trying to replace him will be fine. Eric Wood has much more upside than Levitre. I think if he stays healthy this season, we will try much harder to keep him than we did Levitre, and rightfully so.

Possibly.

Supposedly the Bills matched Jacksonville's 6-year $42 million $15 guaranteed offer to Poz two years ago (which if there was not a regime bias) means they valued Poz more than they did Levitre, who got 6 years, $46 million with $10 million guaranteed.

Another possibility is that the Bills thought that they were closer to being a winner in 2011 than they believe they are now.

I remember it slightly differently, where Jacksonville gave a better deal and Poz wanted to be in a 4-3 scheme.

Seriously, how does an NFL team put so much $$$ at guard?

PTR

Guard is just not a smart posiition at which to pay top dollar. The difference in impact between the best and the rest is just not enough to justify it.

NFL players know that second contract is where you need to hit the jackpot. You do whatever it takes to hit the jackpot. If your current team jackpots you, fine, it not, you go where the jackpot is. Nothing else matters. Simple. Levitre did exactly what he needed to do (get the big guaranteed money) and is now thanking himself for doing it as his body starts to break down. Titans bet and maybe have lost. We'll see. It happens. hard to argue with how the Bills played this one with their switch to no huddle speed offense. Don't need pro bowl o-lineman to do that... just good players who are in great shape. they intend to outrun and outhustle the other team.. who knows if it will work

Ask Kelly if he needed Hull, Ritcher, Wolford, Ballard.....etc

C'mon old friend.....you're certainly not comparing Levitre and Dockery, are you?

Levitre has been an asset to this team from the moment he arrived in town. He doesn't make highlight reels because he isn't known for pancake blocks, but he is a top pass blocking left guard, and is no slouch on running downs. And with 10 million guaranteed, this would have allowed them to get out of the contract with little pain if need be. And please be honest.....I assume that you are fond of Glenn. Don't you think that playing next to Levitre was great for his development?

With the loss of Levitre, the Bills would appear to be starting the season thin at the guard position. This is a shame because this team will be fielding a running back who is a home run threat and plays best in space, a rookie quarterback who will probably need that extra time, and a vet qb who has already had his brains beat in. Instead of keeping Levitre, they are chasing Eugene Parker and a safety, and drafted 2 more.

Sorry, I cannot condone this.

I understand where you're coming from brother, and while I wasn't trying to compare Levitre with Dockery in terms of attitude (I believe Dockery got his money and just didn't give a frig), it's otherwise a very similar situation. Dockery also never made a Pro Bowl prior to the Bills signing him, but was paid like he had, and that caused ripple effects. Namely Peters. Wood's contract is coming up, so do you pay Levitre $7.8M (I misspoke and said $9M) and then pay Wood the same amount? And Levitre, as per Pro Football Focus "isn't a difference maker in the run game" so his actual abilities are in question. I don't disagree he's a good pass blocker, but at that price, he needs to be more than that. It's also possible they saw how his rehab was going and thought he was a medical risk.

I understand where you're coming from brother, and while I wasn't trying to compare Levitre with Dockery in terms of attitude (I believe Dockery got his money and just didn't give a frig), it's otherwise a very similar situation. Dockery also never made a Pro Bowl prior to the Bills signing him, but was paid like he had, and that caused ripple effects. Namely Peters. Wood's contract is coming up, so do you pay Levitre $7.8M (I misspoke and said $9M) and then pay Wood the same amount? And Levitre, as per Pro Football Focus "isn't a difference maker in the run game" so his actual abilities are in question. I don't disagree he's a good pass blocker, but at that price, he needs to be more than that. It's also possible they saw how his rehab was going and thought he was a medical risk.

I would absolutely NOT sign Wood to a big contract unless he has an injury free season, something unlikely to happen. What I would advise them to do is IF they suspect that his injuries are behind him, attempt to sign him during the season, before he is a UFA. With his history of injuries, it would be smart of him to accept an offer such as this.

Seriously, look at Gronk. He signed for 10 mil or so per season after having one of the best years of any tight end I have ever seen, bar none. I'm sure that he is glad now to have done so, whereas his career is in some doubt at this point.

I would absolutely NOT sign Wood to a big contract unless he has an injury free season, something unlikely to happen. What I would advise them to do is IF they suspect that his injuries are behind him, attempt to sign him during the season, before he is a UFA. With his history of injuries, it would be smart of him to accept an offer such as this.

Seriously, look at Gronk. He signed for 10 mil or so per season after having one of the best years of any tight end I have ever seen, bar none. I'm sure that he is glad now to have done so, whereas his career is in some doubt at this point.

I agree about Wood future contract. But if he sees the Bills sign Levitre for $7.8M, he's going to be looking for similar money, and likely would balk at injury clauses. In Peters' case (and I know they don't have the same egos, or agents, but...), he was coming off a torn groin and demanding $10M/year without letting the Bills even see him.

It's interesting to me that they did try to re-sign Whitner and Poz but they didn't bother with Levitre.

Maybe that has something to do with the new coaching staff?

This is MONEYBALL without the analysis team in place.

Because with the new CBA, draft picks are cheap. Warmack will NOT be paid Donte Whitner type money.

Guard is just not a smart posiition at which to pay top dollar. The difference in impact between the best and the rest is just not enough to justify it.

Bill, while it's not lil Donte money it's still going to be $12-13M at least spent on two guards.

PTR

Bill, while it's not lil Donte money it's still going to be $12-13M at least spent on two guards.

PTR

Yes, and Tampa spent 16 million on Revis, coming off a serious injury, to play corner. Guess which situation I would rather be in?

Edited by Bill from NYC

How can anyone not root for Levitre?

This guy was our team's best player the last 5 years. We made zero effort to re-sign him. Not his fault.

He went for the $$$$, plain and simple. He gave no indication of actually wanting to play here. He's on another team, ipso facto, I will not be rooting for him. However, I will not want him to be injured either. Sucks for him and Tennessee. Doesn't sound too serious though. He should be ready in time for the season.

I also like that you changed your name to reflect your current location ! I'm looking forward to the Bills beating the Steelers here this year and having some fun w/ the Steeler fans.

You are correct from a player and team standpoint. Being in Pittsburgh, the team generally shyed away from paying that "huge" second contract. Fans would flip out. Then the backup or draft pick would perform, and the former stud would not be as great at his future team for a variety of reasons. Titans gamble may still pay off for them. They need good O-line for what they do. I also agree we don't need Levitre as much as other players who we can re-sign w/ the money.

Knock the Titans for paying a lot for guards. Don't knock the player for getting maximum money. Ask Steve Smith (the Giants one) about the importance of getting a big second contract as soon as possible for as much dough as possible. http://sports.yahoo....59122--nfl.html

Great point.