An indicator of the Bills implementing analytics

From bb.com.

Interesting that they are tracking players' exertion levels during practice. I'm sure Marrone is looking into whether they can use it the same way, but in reverse, during games. I can see it now - Marrone is handed a chart on the sideline then says to Dareus, "Hey Marcell, your numbers just aren't cutting it. Have a seat." :lol:

Edited by BillnutinHouston

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really cool. Good to see the Bills be ahead of the game in something. It didn't mention it in the article but it will also provide hard data to compare 2 guys at the same position. If you have guys running the same sets of drills etc. you can compare the data to see who is reacting more quickly, who runs faster in a functional way, who is really working at practice and who is dogging it. Tons of potential uses here.

From bb.com.

Interesting that they are tracking players' exertion levels during practice. I'm sure Marrone is looking into whether they can use it the same way, but in reverse, during games. I can see it now - Marrone is handed a chart on the sideline then says to Dareus, "Hey Marcell, your numbers just aren't cutting it. Have a seat." :lol:

Very heartened to read that they are using load and fatigue data to help prevent injuries. Terrific use of technology. Besides the obvious benefit of getting player effort, speed etc, the health area is the big benefit here.

Statements:

1) If a player is slacking it, they see it clear as day. Anyone who has coached or been in athletics knows you can spot the slacker easily - the guy who just trots off to start his route, the OL who just patty cakes and kitty foots his steps. This will be backed up with numbers, now. Those numbers might show CJ at half go is still twice as quick as Choice in velocity. It might show that FJ is more powerful to the right and this could help with game calling.

2) I truly hope that our coaches are real coaches. They can identify talent and they can direct it without the glitz and glamour.

Questions:

1) How much would you rely on it? Seeing that WR make an angle change and still only lose 4% of his speed going to mean anything more then him dropping 2 passes in practice?

2) Could this encourage practice pre madonna's? Guys who go for the numbers on the computer vs. the ball on the field?

Questions:

1) How much would you rely on it? Seeing that WR make an angle change and still only lose 4% of his speed going to mean anything more then him dropping 2 passes in practice?

Good question. Having the data available is only one part of the equation. Another part is, how do the coaches use the data? Do they misuse or overuse the data? Do they succumb to paralysis by analysis? Would be interesting to know, but I think for the most part we'll never know how the data is used.

Good question. Having the data available is only one part of the equation. Another part is, how do the coaches use the data? Do they misuse or overuse the data? Do they succumb to paralysis by analysis? Would be interesting to know, but I think for the most part we'll never know how the data is used.

Elevate that question to add these factors:

• new coaches unfamiliar with these players
  • young coaches who have been the understudy to other, somewhat more succesful coaches
  • what will they do when they find SJ13 stinks the big one on these charts, KW can't move a mole hill?

Statements:

1) If a player is slacking it, they see it clear as day. Anyone who has coached or been in athletics knows you can spot the slacker easily - the guy who just trots off to start his route, the OL who just patty cakes and kitty foots his steps. This will be backed up with numbers, now. Those numbers might show CJ at half go is still twice as quick as Choice in velocity. It might show that FJ is more powerful to the right and this could help with game calling.

2) I truly hope that our coaches are real coaches. They can identify talent and they can direct it without the glitz and glamour.

Questions:

2) Could this encourage practice pre madonna's? Guys who go for the numbers on the computer vs. the ball on the field?

1. Easier to see a player dropping passes, they want to know the things they can't see. Of course you can see a guy like Donald Jones dropping passes and know he isn't that good.

2. Lol if you don't perform in game you won't be on the field for long so this question really doesn't matter. Like I said with the first it is for everything coaches CANT see.

With both of your questions have nothing to do with the equipment since the coach can see all of those things that are wrong. If you listen to the video you can find out what the equipment is for.

Edited by BuffaloFood

Lol.

Whatever. I read crap like this every offseason and in the end the team blows. Just Win football games.

Maybe you can provide a list of all the "crap like this" the Bills do every offseason? I'm sure your comment is based in fact and not just about you being a miserable douche.

PTR