An indicator of the Bills implementing analytics

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you can provide a list of all the "crap like this" the Bills do every offseason? I'm sure your comment is based in fact and not just about you being a miserable douche.

PTR

Well, I don't know about "crap like this" but you have to admit the optimism is built uip in Bills fans by various marketing gimmicks and player moves during the offseasons, then the wheels come off and all hope is lost. It's been a tough 13 years.I can understand someone becoming a "miserable douche" with this franchise. Although, I see no need for calling someone a douche.

Well, I don't know about "crap like this" but you have to admit the optimism is built uip in Bills fans by various marketing gimmicks and player moves during the offseasons, then the wheels come off and all hope is lost. It's been a tough 13 years.I can understand someone becoming a "miserable douche" with this franchise. Although, I see no need for calling someone a douche.

I guess my question is: what do you want them to do? Not make moves to encourage optimism? Come out and say "hey, we might be bad for a while"? Buddy Nix did that and got lambasted for it on this board.

I don't think things like FA moves and draft picks are made solely to boost optimism, but rather to make the team better (whether it works or not); ditto for the analytics department.

It's normal to be bothered by the team's losing ways; it's flat out depressing to be so negative about every move they make. I'm sure you see the distinction.

Maybe you can provide a list of all the "crap like this" the Bills do every offseason? I'm sure your comment is based in fact and not just about you being a miserable douche.

PTR

Uh oh, I see a warning point in your future... :P

Classy man. another irrelevant shot at a fan expressing his thoughts,That you don't aggree with.

While we can argue over the necessity of the "douche" part of the comment, I believe PTR was asking the poster to be more specific with respect to his assertion the Bills always do "crap like this." I'm equally curious, because this seems to be pretty high-tech/cutting edge and unlike anything I've ever heard of going into a training camp.

But I understand those of you who live to beat us down don't want to hear any of that.

So minus the personal insults like PTR. Please by all means be more specific. Why any opinion positive or negative about a bottom feeding franchise holds more or less weight than yours? I'll wait.

If I could understand what you just asked, I'd be happy to answer.

and yet another thread devolves into nonsense...

Dude, it's the standard pattern on TSW; let me recap:

1 -- somebody posts something that sounds remotely optimistic (or just interesting) about what the Bills are doing

2 -- several folks express optimism or interest and have a discussion about the topic

3 -- several folks respond with "until they win this means nothing," which riles the posters who were enjoying the discussion

4 -- name-calling ensues and point of thread is lost

Lather, rinse, repeat. It's a shame, really. I didn't read any posts proclaiming the Bills would now win the Super Bowl because of this technology, or that the errors of the past 13 years were now erased and forgotten -- but some people just refuse to let anything go.

Out.

If I could understand what you just asked, I'd be happy to answer.

Well, obviously there are 2 groups. First, An insult too "those of you who live to beat us down". Really? That's funny. One can assume I fall into that group since you responded to my post. So you're insinuating people get enjoyment or look to "beat you down"?

sadly, another poster taking a board way to seriously.Personally, since you aimed your post at me. I had never even thought of it. And really don't have the time to even care. Everyone is entitled to an opinion though. No need to insult. Your memory is short because last year I agreed with a lot of your posts.

I can care less what anyone posts on a fan forum. When I can I read them all. I post what I feel plus or minus on the Bills. My first game was the home opener in 64. I was a very young kid. Had season tickets for decades even though a lot of them go unused or given away. If i want to post something about the CEO (or whatever) being part of a long standing problem I will. If i want to post about Woods possibly being the best receiver picked in a decade I will. Alanoso great pick. Buddy Nix sucked. All my opinions.Why do you think people are waiting to beat you down?

It's an anonymous fan board maybe you're attacked but not by me. Although, i don't jump in every year with blind optimism anymore, aside from posts that constantly blame fans (or their opinions) about a until proven otherwise irrelevant NFL franchise. One poster responds to every grammatical mistake I make or sometimes a number I throw in purposely wrong. Fun to watch his responses like clockwork. I have never responded to one of his attacks.He's to immature. That's my only involvement past reading and responding to threads.

But apparently, you seemed to break it out in 2 distinct categories. People who speak their mind either positive or negative and the persecuted

fan that is beat down. Never saw it that way. Everyone's opinion and a buck will get them a cup of 7-11 coffee. None of them carry more/less weight. Unless you yourself want them too. Out.

@BPA you're misinterpreting or misunderstanding my point. There are most certainly posters on this forum who insist upon raining on every parade. If you don't see it you're just not paying attention.

But I understand those of you who live to beat us down don't want to hear any of that.

I don't think it's so much a desire to beat anyone down as a sense of inadequacy in their lives and the Bills provide the perfect opportunity to be 'right'. They get to preach the Bills suck and then if they do, they get to come and chortle about how they saw the TRUTH and the rest of the blind homers can't grasp how much they truly know. The worst thing that could happen to some people on this board would be the Bills winning the Superbowl.

I see this as a precursor to computerizing film study as well. GPS knows locations of each player. One could actually use the data to model/simulate plays and optimize personnel positions and spots for a specific play.

Possibly/probably so. If, say, Kiko moves better/faster laterally to the left than Bradham and the opposition is known to favor running off right tackle on 3rd and 2, a player/position change can be called in on the helmet mic.

Interesting stuff!

@BPA you're misinterpreting or misunderstanding my point. There are most certainly posters on this forum who insist upon raining on every parade. If you don't see it you're just not paying attention.

Understood, I felt your comment was pointing me out directly. I am outspoken about OBD. But, every year (except a few) I am hoping for the turnaround. This year is certainly no different. To get back on topic. I am a huge fan of analytics, and statistical odds use, etc. For awhile I lived in Ducks country and saw their benefits in the college game. I'll even go out on a limb and say Kelly will go for 2 after the eagles first td at home this season. because statistically the odds are he will get the 2 points. Different than analytics I know.Go Bills. Edited by Best Player Available

Understood, I felt your comment was pointing me out directly. I am outspoken about OBD. But, every year (except a few) I am hoping for the turnaround. This year is certainly no different. To get back on topic. I am a huge fan of analytics, and statistical odds use, etc. For awhile I lived in Ducks country and saw their benefits in the college game. I'll even go out on a limb and say Kelly will go for 2 after the eagles first td at home this season. because statistically the odds are he will get the 2 points. Different than analytics I know.Go Bills.

Cheers.

I guess my question is: what do you want them to do? Not make moves to encourage optimism? Come out and say "hey, we might be bad for a while"? Buddy Nix did that and got lambasted for it on this board.

I don't think things like FA moves and draft picks are made solely to boost optimism, but rather to make the team better (whether it works or not); ditto for the analytics department.

It's normal to be bothered by the team's losing ways; it's flat out depressing to be so negative about every move they make. I'm sure you see the distinction.

I do see the distinction, my point was understanding why he might be miserable. I don't believe I said that player moves were made solely to boost optimism. I stated that player moves boosted optimism, which they do. I certainly hope the intention is to make the team better. Unfortunately that has not always been the case. One could argue that the Owens signing was done to sell tickets and create a buzz.

Well, obviously there are 2 groups. First, An insult too "those of you who live to beat us down". Really? That's funny. One can assume I fall into that group since you responded to my post. So you're insinuating people get enjoyment or look to "beat you down"?

sadly, another poster taking a board way to seriously.Personally, since you aimed your post at me. I had never even thought of it. And really don't have the time to even care. Everyone is entitled to an opinion though. No need to insult. Your memory is short because last year I agreed with a lot of your posts.

I can care less what anyone posts on a fan forum. When I can I read them all. I post what I feel plus or minus on the Bills. My first game was the home opener in 64. I was a very young kid. Had season tickets for decades even though a lot of them go unused or given away. If i want to post something about the CEO (or whatever) being part of a long standing problem I will. If i want to post about Woods possibly being the best receiver picked in a decade I will. Alanoso great pick. Buddy Nix sucked. All my opinions.Why do you think people are waiting to beat you down?

It's an anonymous fan board maybe you're attacked but not by me. Although, i don't jump in every year with blind optimism anymore, aside from posts that constantly blame fans (or their opinions) about a until proven otherwise irrelevant NFL franchise. One poster responds to every grammatical mistake I make or sometimes a number I throw in purposely wrong. Fun to watch his responses like clockwork. I have never responded to one of his attacks.He's to immature. That's my only involvement past reading and responding to threads.

But apparently, you seemed to break it out in 2 distinct categories. People who speak their mind either positive or negative and the persecuted

fan that is beat down. Never saw it that way. Everyone's opinion and a buck will get them a cup of 7-11 coffee. None of them carry more/less weight. Unless you yourself want them too. Out.

**** RACK EM !!! ***

So minus the personal insults like PTR. Please by all means be more specific. Why any opinion positive or negative about a bottom feeding franchise holds more or less weight than yours? I'll wait.

I never called Scottlaw the D word. I asked him to back up his assertion. I know some people don't want their negativity questioned. They feel they have the right, no the duty, to cast derrision on everything the Bills do. Basically what they are saying is don't even try to improve the team because the past dictates the future.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I never called Scottlaw the D word. I asked him to back up his assertion. I know some people don't want their negativity questioned. They feel they have the right, no the duty, to cast derrision on everything the Bills do. Basically what they are saying is don't even try to improve the team because the past dictates the future.

PTR

There's a balance and I drift back and forth. Every coach/GM comes in with great ideas... Great ideas can be tough to execute though.... With this one we are handing the staff more data but there's no telling what we will do with that data.

Every GM hire, every coaching hire, every draft pick or signing... You hope for the best. We may end up celebrating, but maybe not. New doesnt always mean good but it doesn't mean you can't hope for it.

There's a balance and I drift back and forth. Every coach/GM comes in with great ideas... Great ideas can be tough to execute though.... With this one we are handing the staff more data but there's no telling what we will do with that data.

Every GM hire, every coaching hire, every draft pick or signing... You hope for the best. We may end up celebrating, but maybe not. New doesnt always mean good but it doesn't mean you can't hope for it.

I'll never understand why people who are so pessimistic about the Bills stick around year after year. You'd think if the team was such a disappointment they would just move on and root for another.

PTR