Obamanomics

You're crediting Keynes and Fisher with one of the central Austrian arguments?

right, as if the Austrians are the only ones to incorporate debt into analysis. The influence of credit on crises goes back to Marx and Mill. As I told you years ago, I have some sympathy for the Austrians because they do incorporate debt. The problem is their ideas on money. They think modern money is equivalent to when gold was used as money, hence their absurd view that inflation is an increase in the money supply. Guys like schiff keep beating the dead horse and have to resort to conspiracy theories that government is lying. And the conspiracy nuts are alive and well here...

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes a special brand of incompetence to walk into a recession and literally make things worse for the children.

More children living in poverty now than in "the Great Recession."

About 22% of children in the U.S. lived below the poverty line in 2013, compared with 18% in 2008, the foundation's 2015 Kids Count Data Book reported. In 2013, the U.S. Department of Human and Health Service's official poverty line was $23,624 for a family with two adults and two children.

“The fact that it’s happening is disturbing on lots of levels,” said Laura Speer, the associate director for policy reform and advocacy at the Casey Foundation, a non-profit based in Baltimore. “Those kids often don’t have the access to the things they need to thrive.” The foundation says its mission is to help low-income children in the U.S. by providing grants and advocating for policies that promote economic opportunity.

Edited by LABillzFan

It takes a special brand of incompetence to walk into a recession and literally make things worse for the children.

More children living in poverty now than in "the Great Recession."

It rose 18% in a decade pre-recession. This isn't just a trend that began in '08.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/17/139714683/study-child-poverty-up-in-38-states-over-past-decade

And it's the same foundation as your study, and they're measuring "poverty" as income under 22,350/yr for a family of four, which this new study is measuring as housing exceeding 30% of pre-tax income (much bigger net).

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I'll remember that the next time a liberal tries to tell everyone what a great job Obama did to pull the country out of "the Great Recession."

so your argument initially was: it takes incompetence to walk into a recession (a decline) and make things worse for children. Then, when presented with evidence that, in fact, this is a trend that has been happening prior to the administration and, if you used the new 30% of pretax income, would be markedly worse, you say: "i'll remember that next time a liberal..." I tried giving the politics section a chance on here. That was asinine on my part. good luck with your right wing circle jerk.

so your argument initially was: it takes incompetence to walk into a recession (a decline) and make things worse for children. Then, when presented with evidence that, in fact, this is a trend that has been happening prior to the administration and, if you used the new 30% of pretax income, would be markedly worse, you say: "i'll remember that next time a liberal..." I tried giving the politics section a chance on here. That was asinine on my part. good luck with your right wing circle jerk.

It appears that you may have a problem with interpretation. The poverty line is 22,350/yr for a family of four, but the 30% of pre-tax income figure is to measure low income households. Not one and the same.

PS, if we to interpolate the statistics, while the poverty rate grew 18% over the decade leading up to the great recession, it jumped 22% in the six years following it.

But we understand.

Edited by GG

Actually, I didn't make an argument at all. Just an observation.

You created an argument I never made so you could advance a talking point that serves only to contradict what the WH has been telling everyone for the past six years, and then tried to explain how the argument I never made was refuted by evidence that is irrelevant to the argument I never made.

But hey..great job getting in the right-wing circle jerk stab. You should hang out here more often because gatorman could use the competition.

." I tried giving the politics section a chance on here. That was asinine on my part. good luck with your right wing circle jerk.

A little thin skinned maybe. So let's justify the Obama record with a previous decade of decline? He was elected to make a difference and he ran on that. While no President alone can correct a weak economy, it's quite obvious the man doesn't have a clue on how to stimulate economic growth.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/report-suggest-us-children-left-053001123.html

Twenty-two percent of American children were living in poverty in 2013 compared with 18 percent in 2008, according to the latest Kids Count Data Book, with poverty rates nearly double among African-Americans and American Indians and problems most severe in South and Southwest.

A little thin skinned maybe. So let's justify the Obama record with a previous decade of decline? He was elected to make a difference and he ran on that. While no President alone can correct a weak economy, it's quite obvious the man doesn't have a clue on how to stimulate racial animosity economic growth.

Economic Notes

Did you happen to catch this little detail in yesterday’s news about the old A & P grocery chain filing bankruptcy:

More than 90% of A&P’s workers are union members, with 35 different collective-bargaining agreements that A&P said require benefit increases that are unsustainable. A&P said it would try to negotiate immediate changes to the contracts to prevent “catastrophic” results on sales, but otherwise will seek court orders to force the contract changes.

Gee: I wonder if those labor agreements have something to do with the chain’s uncompetitive cost structure and declining business prospects.

Meanwhile, from our “Don’t Look Now But. . .” file, the Chinese stock market seems to have stabilized after a significant correction that could be confused for a crash. But then there’s this little detail reported yesterday:

China may have the world’s second-biggest stock market after the U.S., but at one point during a roller-coaster ride for investors this month only 93 of 2,879 listed companies were freely tradable—about the same number as trade in Oman.

On July 9, a day after the market hit bottom, just 3.2% of Chinese-listed companies could be traded normally, according to an analysis by The Wall Street Journal using FactSet data. The rest of the shares on the Shenzhen and Shanghai stock exchanges either were suspended or hit their daily limit. China’s market rules prevent share prices from moving freely once they rise or fall by 10%.

When only 3.2 percent of listed shares are trading freely, you don’t have a very healthy market.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/07/economic-notes.php

Edited by B-Man

Economic Notes

Gee: I wonder if those labor agreements have something to do with the chain’s uncompetitive cost structure and declining business prospects.

Oh no, it's all because of 'corporate greed'!

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/Business/International/2015/Jul-24/308019-us-jobless-claims-fall-to-lowest-level-since-1973.ashx

Nice, I guess Obamacare isn't the job killer partisan Republicans was saying it was...

I look forward to next week when that number is adjusted upward to compensate for data that wasn't accounted for in previous countings of the enumerations of this week as it relates to the global temperature fluxuations.

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/Business/International/2015/Jul-24/308019-us-jobless-claims-fall-to-lowest-level-since-1973.ashx

Nice, I guess Obamacare isn't the job killer partisan Republicans was saying it was...

Explain that to a guy Iet yesterday who's health insurance tripled since the ACA came in to effect. He's a small business owner who now employees only himself.

No thinking person can look at how Obamacare is constructed and conclude that it is a well crafted solution for providing health insurance to people.

So if your numbers are proof that Obamacare is a job creator, how do you explain the labor participation rate at 40ish year lows?