Obamanomics

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Social Security deficit quadruples. Solution: Expand Social Security!

FTA:

Given that Social Security is the largest spending program of the federal government, the payroll tax is already the largest tax paid by most households, and Social Security benefits are the largest source of income for most retirees, you’d think this would finally move Congress to reform the system. If so, you’d think wrong.

Today, the biggest movement among progressives is to expand Social Security to pay higher benefits. Worse, these plans would use the tax increases that progressives once had pegged to fix the system’s deficit – say, raising or eliminating the payroll tax ceiling – and instead use that money to raise benefits. As a result, plans like Sen. Tom Harkin’s (D-IA) would extend solvency by only around 10 years. The new proposal from Sens. Mark Begich (D-AK) and Patty Murray (D-WA) would solve a full 3% of the long-term deficit.

http://www.aei-ideas...ocial-security/

Your linked article is a crock of schit. Do you really believe that unemployment in the U.S. has improved dramatically? This administration is an expert on smoke and mirrors.

Yes--based on both hard evidence (like that link) and anecdotal evidence from day-to-day life. Have we made it all the way back to a solid economy? Not yet, but we've undeniably been moving in the right direction for some time now after basically falling off a very sheer cliff in Sept 2008...,

Yup, you sure an economic genius, lol. You listen to right wing talking points for so long you just accept them as facts, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

You forgot "Fox News" this time.

Yes--based on both hard evidence (like that link) and anecdotal evidence from day-to-day life. Have we made it all the way back to a solid economy? Not yet, but we've undeniably been moving in the right direction for some time now after basically falling off a very sheer cliff in Sept 2008...,

Look at the labor participation rate and the overall size of the workforce compared to 2008. As far as the "sheer cliff" goes read up on the CRA and Google Barney Frank and Fannie & Freddie. Learn something.

Look at the labor participation rate and the overall size of the workforce compared to 2008. As far as the "sheer cliff" goes read up on the CRA and Google Barney Frank and Fannie & Freddie. Learn something.

Toss-in Andrew Cuomo and look at the number of subprime mortgages from pre-1998 to post.

Yup, you sure an economic genius, lol. You listen to right wing talking points for so long you just accept them as facts, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

all you ever do is take peoples' rebukes of you and use them on other people, verbatim. seeing you accuse anyone of parroting talking points is like seeing Liberace accuse someone of being flamboyantly gay. you may be changing your playbook, but you're still not gaining any yardage.

Not sure if this fits in this thread exactly, but whatver!

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2024187331_apxdebtstudy.html

More than 35 percent of Americans have debts and unpaid bills that have been reported to collection agencies, according to a study released Tuesday by the Urban Institute.

The study found that 35.1 percent of people with credit records had been reported to collections for debt that averaged $5,178, based on September 2013 records. The study points to a disturbing trend: The share of Americans in collections has remained relatively constant, even as the country as a whole has whittled down the size of its credit card debt since the official end of the Great Recession in the middle of 2009.

The delinquent debt is overwhelmingly concentrated in Southern and Western states. Texas cities have a large share of their populations being reported to collection agencies: Dallas (44.3 percent); El Paso (44.4 percent), Houston (43.7 percent), McAllen (51.7 percent) and San Antonio (44.5 percent).

And explain how all recoveries are identical economic situations...moron

They are not and please point out where I even implied that. That is why you need to look at all recoveries to come to a conclusion that this one is historically slow.

They are not and please point out where I even implied that. That is why you need to look at all recoveries to come to a conclusion that this one is historically slow.

All the recoveries? Can't you give an example? I'd really love it if you did

All the recoveries? Can't you give an example? I'd really love it if you did

Oh absolutely I'd be more than happy to give you an example. Ready? Ok, here we go. All economic recoveries on record. I really hope that helped.

Oh absolutely I'd be more than happy to give you an example. Ready? Ok, here we go. All economic recoveries on record. I really hope that helped.

I'm not sure that will be good enough because he probably wears an economic recovery awareness bracelet, so his reply will automatically be from a higher moral viewpoint than anything you could offer.

Stop dodging, just give one specific example you coward. Just one to show you know (ha ha ha) what you are talking about.