Obamanomics

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we get into all the "numbers" on each side, let's remember;

The American economy ALWAYS recovers from each recession.

According to the NBER, our recession ended in June 2009.

Our slow recovery this time is due to the economic policies of the Obama Administration.

They do not deserve credit for "saving us", that was inevitable, but blame for the abysmal job creation and the transformation of our economy into a "Part-Time Worker" base.

Chuck Todd: Get ready for “déjà pivot”

Chuck Todd may have scored the Coinage Award of the Month with the phrase “deja pivot” to describe the — 8th? 9th? 11th? 19th? — pivot to jobs and the economy by the White House. Looks like the media isn’t exactly impressed with the big windup to the same old pitch after all

TODD: “This speech, this pivot – pivot to the economy, again it’s like déjà pivot I have when it comes to the economy. But it seems like they really are signaling they are going to have a campaign approach to this fight with congress when it comes to the debt ceiling, when it comes to sequestration 2.0. All of the decisions coming to a head in the fall, they’re basically saying, hey, we’re going to travel the country.”

You know what they’re acknowledging? That they have nothing new to say. Because what are they saying? ‘Hey, look back at this speech!’ He’s said it all before, so he doesn’t have anything new to say. He’s just going to say it differently.”

Dan Balz’ colleague Greg Sargent followed up this morning with a lament that news organizations aren’t taking Obama’s latest pivot seriously enough:

Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

Genuinely sad to see supposedly neutral news orgs mocking the idea of a "pivot" to jobs.

That resulted in an eruption of, well, laughter:

James Taranto @jamestaranto

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

DC Dude @DCDude1776

LOL! You haven’t noticed the pattern? Poll #s sink—> pivots to economy E-V-E-R-Y T-I-M-E

Jake @Jake_Sam

well he has pivoted so many times he must be get dizzy. Why not just stay focused

Of course, the news org in this case was MSNBC, which hardly rates as a “neutral news org.” The fact that even the most sympathetic cable outlet to the White House is mocking the idea of another “pivot” should be highly instructive.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/07/24/chuck-todd-get-ready-for-deja-pivot/

I do like the plug for the book that claims the media stole the 2012 election.. if so, does that mean the Media stole the 2010 Mid-terms in the House as well? That was a huge swing in seats, so can the media only control POTUS results?

I do like the plug for the book that claims the media stole the 2012 election.. if so, does that mean the Media stole the 2010 Mid-terms in the House as well? That was a huge swing in seats, so can the media only control POTUS results?

Oddly compared B.

The Republicans won a huge majority in 2010. The media certainly did not try to support them.

Oddly compared B.

The Republicans won a huge majority in 2010. The media certainly did not try to support them.

And the media doesn't provide wide coverage of House races, either.

And even so, one could argue that the media did contribute to the mid-term Republican success, through their coverage of the Tea Party (even negative press is still press).

B, it wasn't really close last year either. Comparison Legit?

Its not the results.

You mentioned the book about the media "stealing the election" in 2012. and I REALLY do not want the economics thread to divert to that.

I do not think your comparison with 2010 makes sense because the media certainly did not support the GOP.

Back to Obamanomics......................

Specter of Detroit looms over Obama’s new PR campaign on economy

And that is largely Barack Obama’s own fault. Two years ago, on another of his short-lived pivots to the economy and jobs, Obama held up Motor City as an example of the comeback of the American economy after three-plus years of his policies, especially his stimulus programs and the bailout of GM and Chrysler. National Journal’s Major Garrett points out the similarities between Obama’s PR campaign in 2011 and now, with Detroit’s collapse as the backdrop:

But Obama’s 2011 speech described a Detroit that can only be described as a myth wrapped in a wish inside a dream.

“This is a city that’s been to heck and back,” Obama said. “And while there are still a lot of challenges here, I see a city that’s coming back.”

Obama referenced “tough choices” made to bail out GM and Fiat-Chrysler and also hailed the birth of a new wave of high-tech employment. “We said American workers could manufacture the best products in the world. So we invested in high-tech manufacturing and we invested in clean energy,” he said. “And right now, there’s an advanced-battery industry taking root here in Michigan that barely existed before.”

The biggest factory in this supposed new trend, Massachusetts-based A123 Systems, had plans to employ 5,900 workers nationwide to build lithium-ion batteries. In Detroit, A123 Systems never employed more than 1,000. The Energy Department awarded A123 Systems a $249 million grant to boost production. It filed for
in 2012 and was still receiving DOE largesse. A judge
in 2013.

In other words, the Detroit-area advanced-battery industry Obama said “barely existed before” his 2011 speech now … barely exists.

{snip}

Obama’s last public-relations campaign on the economy didn’t result in any sweeping change of direction on the policies that produced A123 and Solyndra while doing nothing to slow down Detroit’s collapse. Chris Cillizza and Sean Sullivan at the Washington Post warn readers not to expect anything to change this time around in a political context, either:

“Vision.” “Plan.” “Changing the nature of the conversation.” Obama was laying down a marker; this was going to be a b-i-g speech. Mark it on your calendars.

And yet, during that same OFA fundraiser, Obama acknowledged that no matter how lofty his goals or his rhetoric, the fundamental realities of the politics of the economy were almost certain to remain unchanged. ”I’m excited about the speech,
not because I think the speech is going to change any minds
,” he said.

Truer words were never spoken.

In the
, 45 percent of Americans approved of how Obama is handling economic issues while 49 percent disapproved. A year ago, 44 percent approved of Obama’s economic approach — a number statistically unchanged despite the fact that the president swept to a second term thanks, at least in part, to making the 2012 election a referendum on his economic priorities.

I posted this already in the Detroit Thread................with the upcoming "PIVOT" it deserves repeating

ramirez-detroit.jpg

Dan Balz’ colleague Greg Sargent followed up this morning with a lament that news organizations aren’t taking Obama’s latest pivot seriously enough

And now his big speech on the economy today gets crushed by the announcement of the name of the Royal Baby.

"Can a guy get a frickin' break here, people?"

I find this incarnation of the Obama Pivot to the Economy to be quite unsettling. When you look back at Obama's track record when he is focused on stuff like Health Care, Immigration, Gun Control, etc do you really want him getting involved in the economy?

Unlike King Midas who made everything he touched turn to gold, whenever Obama touches anything it goes to sh*t.

Please Mr President, for the sake of America, go practice your putt or chill with Jay-Z or something

TOUCHDOWN!!! Obama to Claim Credit for This Totally Awesome Economic Recovery

President Obama will grab credit for an improving economy in a series of speeches this week that the White House hopes will increase his political clout. No, really, they think there is one:

The messaging effort is intended to portray Obama as focused on jobs, which voters repeatedly say is the most pressing issue facing Washington, according to the White House.

Democratic allies argue it will allow Obama to go on offense after months in which he has been dragged down by political controversies that have dogged his second term and injured him in the polls.

How awesome do they think it is? TOUCHDOWN!!!

Strategists say it would have been more difficult for Obama to take credit a few months ago, where there was less evidence the economy was improving.

Before there was a worry that you’d be dancing and celebrating on the 20-yard line, but
n
ow the ball is in the end zone
, you do have a recovering economy that he can now definitively point to with a lot of empirical data,” said Democratic strategist Chris Lehane.

Let’s take a quick survey of where we are. The civilian labor force participation rate is at 63.5%, a tick better than the lowest it has been in forever. The slightly improved employment numbers are part-time jobs as businesses prepare for ObamaCare by cutting out full-time employees. As the WSJ explained:

The disappointments include a big jump of 247,000 in the number of “discouraged workers,” those who have stopped looking for a job. This could be a one-month anomaly given the other increases, but it bears watching.

Also disappointing is the big jump in the number of Americans who want to work full time but could only find part-time work. That number leapt to 8.23 million, a 322,000 one-month increase. Total part-time employment rose by 432,000, more than double the total number of net new jobs.

The broadest measure of unemployment—which includes discouraged workers and those who can’t find a full-time job for economic reasons—still totals more than 20 million Americans and the rate unexpectedly rose in June to 14.3% from 13.8%.

WOO-HOO! LET’S SPEND TAXPAYER MONEY TRAVELING AROUND TAKING CREDIT FOR THAT HUGE SUCCESS!!!!

TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by B-Man

I am considering creating my first twitter account...specifically to tweet back at Greg Sargent, with the following:

Obama pivoting to economy = Morrissey: "Says nothing to me about my life". Hang the DJ indeed.

Edit: but then, I figure they'd make a big deal about the "hang" thing, rather than understanding the reference, because they weren't cool enough to get The Smiths then, so why should I expect them to now? So....I'm still not on twitter.

Edited by OCinBuffalo