Obamanomics

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So rejecting the stimulus like many republicans wanted would have been better? :doh:

If the Nation had a trillion dollars in debt versus 12 trillion and was running deficits in the low billions versus 1.5 trillion, a Stimulus program would have been more well received.... and if there was a plan to pay it back at some point, it would have been well received. IMHO, I stimulus program whetehr it be direct spending or tax cuts would have been tempid success, just because the nature of the crash was tied to so many Amerians being tied up in undervalued, illiquid assets. It is slowly coming back and people are feeling decent against about their financial situation, but we have a long way to go.

What's ironic about the Sitmulus is that the economic crash was very much about borrowing and spending... to think the remedy was more borrwoing and spending is kind of funny

So explain how the stimulus put more money in the economy.

Simple.

The stimulus money went to companies that went bankrupt.

Bankrupt companies laid off employees.

Laid off employees collect unemployment and food stamps.

Every dollar spent on food stamps returns $1.73 to the economy.

Everyone knows this!!!

:w00t::worthy:

:w00t::worthy:

Awesome point! So, how did the stimulus hurt the economy?

So, I'm confused. Is that your explaination of how bond markets work? Or perhaps it's your explaination as to why bank bailouts are either imminent, or not, or necessary, or not?

God, this is fun.

So you think the stimulus and the bailouts actually hurt the economy? Explain please

Awesome point! So, how did the stimulus hurt the economy?

So you think the stimulus and the bailouts actually hurt the economy? Explain please

Short answer:

In the long range it creates an environemnt prone to inflation, harms the bond market, and leads to soveriegn debt crisis. Short term, service of the debt leads to increased tax burdens, which coupled with rising commodity prices leads to lay-offs an unemployment. Additionally, cheap credit, coupled with poorly considered regulations leads to incentivized malinvestment as we experienced during the housing bubble burst of 2009; and the similar education bubble burst we're about to see.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Short answer:

In the long range it creates an environemnt prone to inflation, harms the bond market, and leads to soveriegn debt crisis. Short term, service of the debt leads to increased tax burdens, which coupled with rising commodity prices leads to lay-offs an unemployment.

How long range??

And what tax burden has increased?

Your point about commodities if totally foolish. Any recovery is of course going to led to increased commodity prices, people are buying and using more things. I mean, duh! You think rising commodity prices are bad for the people selling them? No, they are good, you doof!

How long range??

Your point about commodities if totally foolish. Any recovery is of course going to led to increased commodity prices, people are buying and using more things. I mean, duh! You think rising commodity prices are bad for the people selling them? No, they are good, you doof!

Currency devaluation...consumption...same thing. :wallbash: And you just argued that higher energy costs are good for the economy.

How long range??

We're seeing surging commodity prices now, coupled with a faltering bond market, and an international sovergn debt market in absolute crisis.

The increased tax burden necessary to service the new debt.

A dollar weakened by inflation purchases less. Dollars don't exist in a vaccum: when the supply goes up, the demand goes down, and does harm to consumers, the largest harm being done to the poor and the elderly who live on fixed incomes.

Currency devaluation...consumption...same thing. :wallbash: And you just argued that higher energy costs are good for the economy.

I told you this would be fun.

Bastards. Gatorman is my toy.

You are stealing him. It's as simple as that.

However, I am fully aware that I can't be here all the time to play with my toy, and it's unfair to ask you not to play with such a fun toy.

Therefore, I will permit you to play with him, but not on Wednesday. Also, I will allow each of you no more than 3.5 responses to gatorman per day, over the course of a non-Wednesday week.

EDIT: Also, it's not like I didn't tell him this:

3vfhd8.jpg

would happen.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Fine, but as a comparative number to, say, the past year or two,, that revision is pretty astonishingly off, no?

I don't think so, LA. Most economists (at least the ones I've read or heard) think about the initial jobs report as something that you can either add 80K or subtract 80K from. I haven't looked at the revisions from this year or last, but I think if you go back over time, you'd see that 58K one way or the other would be something that happens somewhat frequently.

How is this interesting? Or new?

Technological improvements have always resulted in changing job markets, or perhaps you aren't aware of the cotton gin, or the assembly line?

Those inventions created jobs, seems that today its all about eliminating them.