Class reunion this year, (40th) have you ever attended yours?

mead107

We've got my 20 this Oct. I hated school. Had an abusive dad who used to beat on me, embarrassing have bruising, broken nose etc. He left at the start of my year 12. My favourite year of school. I was heavily into Megadeth then and was a bit lost. See the movie Trick or Treat. Except all I did was swim, surf and lift. Kept in contact with a few, a mate whom I've known since we were 6months, who knew how bad my dad was. If I go, I'd feel like apologising and explain that life can change folk, some escape. But for the most part, as soon as the final exam, I left town.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your experiences, that sucks but it sounds like you came out of it pretty strong! and I like your attitude, at my reunion a girl came up to me and introduced herself, a wave of fear enveloped me as she was one tough and mean broad, i forced a smile and said hi to her, at some point she said something to the effect, 'i've changed a lot since then' and we wound up having a very nice talk, i was so happy she did this, it's proof of what you said, high school was a long time ago and we were all just acting the only way we knew at that time.

We've got my 20 this Oct. I hated school. Had an abusive dad who used to beat on me, embarrassing have bruising, broken nose etc. He left at the start of my year 12. My favourite year of school. I was heavily into Megadeth then and was a bit lost. See the movie Trick or Treat. Except all I did was swim, surf and lift. Kept in contact with a few, a mate whom I've known since we were 6months, who knew how bad my dad was. If I go, I'd feel like apologising and explain that life can change folk, some escape. But for the most part, as soon as the final exam, I left town.

This October 12 th will be my 40th, have never made any in the past. Have keep in touch with only a hand full over the years. Class size about 365. My kids went to same high school, Burnt Hills.

Only 139 have checked in to our website. So far 10 known that have passed on. Has been fun checking it out. Would still like to know what has become of a few others.

Any of you ever go to any of your reunions?

St Joe's class of '83. Nope, never went to any reunions.

Have never gone back, primarily because we only had 28 kids in my graduating class in the mountains of BFE, and the only ones ever interested in going are the 6 people who never made it off the mountaintop.

From what I understand they have a class reunion every Friday night at Jimmys Bar where you still get three songs for a quarter on a jukebox that only has nine songs on it. It used to have 10, but Gloria Gaynors "I Will Survive" has played so much the needle won't move.

And for what it's worth, the only part of this that is NOT true is the number of songs available on the jukebox.

i realize that, i was making a point about the difference in time that we had gone to school

It was called a Datsun (changed in the States to Nissan from its export name: Datsun).

And they made a pretty fly "Z" car...

:-P

It was called a Datsun (changed in the States to Nissan from its export name: Datsun).

And they made a pretty fly "Z" car...

:-P

Actually it was Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Plymouths. And during deer season trucks with gun racks with loaded (I presume) guns in them. Oh how times have changed.

Wow, some interesting comments, with people loving/hating high school.

My situation isn't that I loved/hated high school. Instead, my situation is that I barely remember high school. I graduated in a class of 800+ and today I would have trouble naming 10 people that were my classmates. And don't ask me about trying to name teachers. (On a related note, the same school graduated 225 this year, which shows just how far Buffalo has fallen over the years).

I went to one reunion (15th) and wifey and I stayed for about an hour. I had several people come up and say hi to me, but truthfully I didn't recognize them.

Also, since we moved away right after my graduation, and since I went to a university (Laval) that no one in Buffalo has ever heard of, that may be the major reason there are no lasting memories.

OTOH, I went to several of my wife's reunions and those are unintentionally funny. Basically, she was a "Plain Jane" in high school and became a "babe" afterwards. And she has had a lot of (somewhat drunk) former classmates try to hit on her at the reunions - you should see the look on their faces when she introduces me to them. :lol:

Wow, some interesting comments, with people loving/hating high school.

My situation isn't that I loved/hated high school. Instead, my situation is that I barely remember high school. I graduated in a class of 800+ and today I would have trouble naming 10 people that were my classmates. And don't ask me about trying to name teachers. (On a related note, the same school graduated 225 this year, which shows just how far Buffalo has fallen over the years).

I went to one reunion (15th) and wifey and I stayed for about an hour. I had several people come up and say hi to me, but truthfully I didn't recognize them.

Also, since we moved away right after my graduation, and since I went to a university (Laval) that no one in Buffalo has ever heard of, that may be the major reason there are no lasting memories.

OTOH, I went to several of my wife's reunions and those are unintentionally funny. Basically, she was a "Plain Jane" in high school and became a "babe" afterwards. And she has had a lot of (somewhat drunk) former classmates try to hit on her at the reunions - you should see the look on their faces when she introduces me to them. :lol:

Wow... LoL..

I am not sure it (class size) has anything to do w/"how far BFLO has fallen." ?? My sister graduated from West Seneca West in 1981 and I want to say that she had 1500 in her graduating class? That is graduating class, not whole school. WSWSr. only had grade 10, 11, and 12th (even when I went). Now, I graduated in 1986 and had exactly 500. It was so bad for her (my sister) that she "graduated" in January early to make more room... Actually, they went to split sessions to make room... And she was born in '63 @ the tail end of the Baby Boom. I mean, some schools had annexes... WSWSr. added on the new wing in the 1970's.

...Don't worry, it is what we will do to the Boomers when they are old and need heath care... Give them split sessions @ the heatlth annex! LoL

I joke... LoL... Cue Chef Jim in about 3 seconds!

;-) :-P

I don't have facts to back me up but I think Liverpool was the biggest high school outside of NYC/long island and we had 980 in 1981, 4,000 total. I could be wrong though.

Wow... LoL..

I am not sure it (class size) has anything to do w/"how far BFLO has fallen." ?? My sister graduated from West Seneca West in 1981 and I want to say that she had 1500 in her graduating class? That is graduating class, not whole school. WSWSr. only had grade 10, 11, and 12th (even when I went). Now, I graduated in 1986 and had exactly 500. It was so bad for her (my sister) that she "graduated" in January early to make more room... Actually, they went to split sessions to make room... And she was born in '63 @ the tail end of the Baby Boom. I mean, some schools had annexes... WSWSr. added on the new wing in the 1970's.

...Don't worry, it is what we will do to the Boomers when they are old and need heath care... Give them split sessions @ the heatlth annex! LoL

I joke... LoL... Cue Chef Jim in about 3 seconds!

;-) :-P

I don't have facts to back me up but I think Liverpool was the biggest high school outside of NYC/long island and we had 980 in 1981, 4,000 total. I could be wrong though.

I just shot my sister a text to confirm... I am 5 years younger and mine was 500 graduating... I could swear hers was well over a 1,000... Maybe I am wrong? It was a big deal w/split sessions & early graduating... They just couldn't handle all the students... I think they re-drew the school lines between East-West in West Seneca right before her... We went to West, no kids in my father's neighborhood go back to East...

St Joe's class of '83. Nope, never went to any reunions.

St. Joes class of 78, went to the 10 year reunion, it was kind of lame, just skipped the 35th this year, I was tempted, but since I have been away from Buffalo for 32 years, I really haven't had contact with anybody from HS since then

My 5th would be next year, but our class president died and I can't think of anyone from my class who would take the initiative to set something up. Don't think I'd go anyway.

Hey Pooj... My sis got back with me and said that her graduating class in 1981 had 1200+... I knew it was a big number. Maybe the whole school had less than 4k (WSW)? My brother graduated the following year in 1982 and he had less. Also, like I said, WSW was only 10, 11, & 12th. When we went, 7, 8, & grade 9 went to WSW Jr. High... Not sure if they put 9th back into High School. ??

Missed the 45th. The bastages had the wrong email for me, otherwise I'd have gone with me misses. fook 'em. Eye saie.

Can you blame them.... Who can take Burl Ives and Hominy? ;-) :-P

ok, i had always thought that we were the biggest school north of nyc...i stand corrected.

Hey Pooj... My sis got back with me and said that her graduating class in 1981 had 1200+... I knew it was a big number. Maybe the whole school had less than 4k (WSW)? My brother graduated the following year in 1982 and he had less. Also, like I said, WSW was only 10, 11, & 12th. When we went, 7, 8, & grade 9 went to WSW Jr. High... Not sure if they put 9th back into High School. ??

ok, i had always thought that we were the biggest school north of nyc...i stand corrected.

You might have been... 4k for the school is huge! I know the borders changed many times were we lived between West and East... We actually lived in South Cheektowaga, but went to West Seneca schools... I think know the kids on that street are back @ East... A few years before my sister went, they went to East too.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois