Colin Kaepernick in a Dolphins hat

Curious to hear the TBD take on this one. Kaepernick getting some heat (obviously nothing serious) for wearing a dolphins hat. when called on it, instead of apologizing he kind of doubled down and said hed wear what he wants.

i dont think it implies hed play any less hard against the dolphins but im sure the guys paying him big bucks to be the face of their franchise are a little irked that hes wearing another teams gear.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/colin-kaepernick-will-not-apologize-for-wearing-a-dolphins-hat/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious to hear the TBD take on this one. Kaepernick getting some heat (obviously nothing serious) for wearing a dolphins hat. when called on it, instead of apologizing he kind of doubled down and said hed wear what he wants.

i dont think it implies hed play any less hard against the dolphins but im sure the guys paying him big bucks to be the face of their franchise are a little irked that hes wearing another teams gear.

http://ftw.usatoday....a-dolphins-hat/

The franchise may be upset. The fans might be upset. But I wonder, do people think that no one in the NFL followed a team before they played? Gronk was a Bills fan for sure, and I've seen him in those old-school pants we have. Doesn't mean he's not gonna get two touchdowns every time we play. Kaep didn't flaunt it at first, he was wearing it when someone sniped a picture.

The franchise may be upset. The fans might be upset. But I wonder, do people think that no one in the NFL followed a team before they played? Gronk was a Bills fan for sure, and I've seen him in those old-school pants we have. Doesn't mean he's not gonna get two touchdowns every time we play. Kaep didn't flaunt it at first, he was wearing it when someone sniped a picture.

if gronk was in BILLS zubaz, that would likely be a different story with regards to the attention received. as is, hes sponsored by the company and being in pants styled like ones that some fans of many different teams like to wear isnt really apples to apples.

i agree its not going to effect his play on the field but im amazed that he pulled the "im going to wear what i want" card once called on it. you also need to realize that even if hes not flaunting something - simply be being a starting NFL qb, hes in some sense going to be by default flaunting EVERYTHING he does, as like it or not it will receive attention.

Edited by NoSaint

meh. I don't have an issue with Kap wearing a Cap of the Dullfish,

If he was a fan before he was a player then he has every right.

i get the impression it was simply to match his outfit.

you dont think the bills would take issue with EJ wearing colts gear?

I think the organization paying him has a right to be pissed. I'm sure they will address with it with him.

His response would be a bigger concern. Tiwtter/facebook/instagram has to be a PR person/agents's worst nightmare.

I think the organization paying him has a right to be pissed. I'm sure they will address with it with him.

His response would be a bigger concern. Tiwtter/facebook/instagram has to be a PR person/agents's worst nightmare.

Yea, as playful as it was likely intended, and any animosity in it surely directed at the media.... It was a bit of a screw you to the most die hard fans that may have been upset.

I can only imagine if one of us bumped into ej on the street and he was sporting a Seahawks hat cause it matched his shoes. Board would be in meltdown mode.

as ridiculous as this may sound, it seems that if a team is paying you millions of dollars (i know, he's still on a second round draft pick deal) and you know that football fans are not quite right in the head, and that everyone and their brother now has a camera phone, then maybe you should stick to your own team's gear. especially in the offseason when people are just pouncing on any little thing they can blow out of proportion and make a story of.

Edited by swnybillsfan

if gronk was in BILLS zubaz, that would likely be a different story with regards to the attention received. as is, hes sponsored by the company and being in pants styled like ones that some fans of many different teams like to wear isnt really apples to apples.

i agree its not going to effect his play on the field but im amazed that he pulled the "im going to wear what i want" card once called on it. you also need to realize that even if hes not flaunting something - simply be being a starting NFL qb, hes in some sense going to be by default flaunting EVERYTHING he does, as like it or not it will receive attention.

Bills zubaz it could be argued would be a bigger deal since they are in the same division but I digress.

I'm a big believer of things only are as big a deal as you let them be. He dismissed the critics an the story fell by the way side. As is it is this is getting picked up by the board days after this was news. Kaeps response was direct and dismissive. He didn't backpedal or give any of the talking heads traction for their "story."

Please football season get here soon...

Good grief...yet another example of the endless supply of meaningless **** created by our 24x7 media.

Apples to oranges unless CK was wearing the Fish hat to a 49ers practice.

Was going to post similar. Exactly.

While I agree it's pretty freaking meanlingless, and that the teams are in different divisions, take the sport out of it and think of it from a corporate standpoint. Teams put a lot into corporate identity, and for years you've seen advertisements that play on loyalty to the corporate image.

The Pizza Hut delivery guys secretly ordering from Dominoes. The Coke delivery guys drinking a Pepsi. The insurance salesmen running into each other getting pricing from Progressive.

So while I don't care about this, I can see why people would. Not to mention, if I saw one of my employees wearing the shirt or hat of a competitor of mine, I'd be furious.

So meaningless? Sure. But not to all, and I can understand the other side of the coin.