The Realization of Getting Old

ajzepp

Yeah - the knees will go. Mine went early from years of playing hoops for hours on end (although a large part is probably just genetic) - I'm 43 and have had both knees replaced (at 41 and 42).

As if having knee replacements didn't make me feel old enough, when I went to physical therapy I worked with a woman there who was wearing a name tag that said her name was Jennifer Grey so I made a crack about "nobody putting baby in a corner' - she just looked at me like she had heard it before but didn't really get the reference, so I had to explain it. It was then that I realized that this girl wasn't even born when Dirty Dancing came out - she had no clue who Jennifer Grey was besides some woman on Dancing with the Stars - then I felt REALLY old.....

I think if it were me, it wouldn't be so much that I was feeling old that bothered me, but the fact that I was actually able to quote something from Dirty Dancing

:P

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if it were me, it wouldn't be so much that I was feeling old that bothered me, but the fact that I was actually able to quote something from Dirty Dancing

:P

Aw come on! That movie was 1987! Not a favorite of mine, but seriously, how do you not know that reference....unless you were's born then.......

At work they just hired 3 new kids just out of college - literally half my age. I am refraining from making any refernces to classic movies like Airplane! (1980) for fear that I'll get blank looks in return...

Just saw where Sub Pop Records got a letter from a girl at University of Virginia asking if they could get Nirvana to make an appearance in a school promotional video - kids these days....God, I'm old...

Aw come on! That movie was 1987! Not a favorite of mine, but seriously, how do you not know that reference....unless you were's born then.......

At work they just hired 3 new kids just out of college - literally half my age. I am refraining from making any refernces to classic movies like Airplane! (1980) for fear that I'll get blank looks in return...

Just saw where Sub Pop Records got a letter from a girl at University of Virginia asking if they could get Nirvana to make an appearance in a school promotional video - kids these days....God, I'm old...

lol, I"m just messin with ya :)

Yeah, those of us who were around at the time saw this film become an absolute phenomenon...huge hit!

getting old sucks, but **consider the alternative**.

That is the way I look at it; celebrate every day!

My oldest GRANDDAUGHTER starts college this fall. Youngest grandson is one year old.

I was born the same year that Playboy was published with a nude centerfold of Maryn Monroe.

:w00t:

My wife's little cousin who when we first got married was probably 4-5 years old used to sleep over our house all the time. Her parents were going thru a bad divorce & I mean she would literally live with us on the weekends. I would take her out for ice cream, take her to the movies & such. It was almost like she was a weekend daughter for me for a few year. I have not seen that much of her in the last 5-6 years but last weekend she called my wife & ask if her & her friends could spend the day Saturday over our house to use our pool. My wife said sure Well she is going to be a senior this year in high school & 4 of her friends came over & one was hotter then the next & they were all wearing bikinnis. I felt like the biggest pervert in the world. I had to get out of the house because I could not stop staring at them. They sure did not buld girls like that when I was in high school.

Edited by Gordio

My wife's little cousin who when we first got married was probably 4-5 years old used to sleep over our house all the time. Her parents were going thru a bad divorce & I mean she would literally live with us on the weekends. I would take her out for ice cream, take her to the movies & such. It was almost like she was a weekend daughter for me for a few year. I have not seen that much of her in the last 5-6 years but last weekend she called my wife & ask if her & her friends could spend the day Saturday over our house to use our pool. My wife said sure Well she is going to be a senior this year in high school & 4 of her friends came over & one was hotter then the next & they were all wearing bikinnis. I felt like the biggest pervert in the world. I had to get out of the house because I could not stop staring at them. They sure did not buld girls like that when I was in high school.

What do you mean? "Not like that"... Fast Times @ Ridgemont High came out over 30 years ago.

;-) :-P

I'm 73...and all can say is....golden age my A!!

That is only 20 years from now for me, I have a 1 year 4 month old son, I hope I make it that long! ****! I never used to think like that!

That's funny (and yes they did), really the 40s are tough, male menopause just made me horny all the time.Although it was fun too (I was single at the time) and I didn't even buy a fast car again.

That is only 20 years from now for me, I have a 1 year 4 month old son, I hope I make it that long! ****! I never used to think like that!

Wow dude... You got off to a late start! Your son will be 20 when you are in your 70's! That is a huge generational gap!  I am 45 and my father is almost 80... I thought my father in his 30's w/me was big...

Anyway... Hang in there and do everything right! Be there for your son! Maybe older will be better, be better off and more secure!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That's funny (and yes they did), really the 40s are tough, male menopause just made me horny all the time.Although it was fun too (I was single at the time) and I didn't even buy a fast car again.

Funny you memtion the fast car. I have been toying around the last 6 months or so & debating on whether to pull the trigger on buying a corvette. I used to own one when I was in my late 20s. I would have a tough time affording a brand new one but I was looking at 2007-2008's maybe. They are not too expensive. The kicker is if I do decide to do this I am not even going to tell my wife about it, I am just going to bring it home(have it delivered one day) so she does not have a chance to sh*t can the idea. Yeah I will be sleeping on the couch for a few months but it will be worth it. & yes I just turned 40 this past May.LOL

It seems to me that there are more smokin' hot girls than when I was young. But, there are also way more "big girls" than when I was young. It seems like there is not much middle class anymore.

Wow dude... You got off to a late start! Your son will be 20 when you are in your 70's! That is a huge generational gap! I am 45 and my father is almost 80... I thought my father in his 30's w/me was big...

Anyway... Hang in there and do everything right! Be there for your son! Maybe older will be better, be better off and more secure!

I am 31 and getting ready to begin the process of having children. I wish I had started earlier with my lady but I knocked up my gf at 19, had an abortion and swore to never impregnate someone until I was sure I could take care of them.

I am 31 and getting ready to begin the process of having children. I wish I had started earlier with my lady but I knocked up my gf at 19, had an abortion and swore to never impregnate someone until I was sure I could take care of them.

That is a good age... I was 30 with my son and 34 with my daughter... Same w/my wife, well actually 31/35.

Wow dude... You got off to a late start! Your son will be 20 when you are in your 70's! That is a huge generational gap! I am 45 and my father is almost 80... I thought my father in his 30's w/me was big...

Yeah the hard part is really I am more granddad age (He only has one grand parent, which is a bit of a bummer) and he will eventually notice, I hope I am more secure! Because this was a surprise and I am not very much so right now! My Mom and Dad were older too but had 4 other kids before me. At least, my GF is in her early 30s still. I plan on doing my best, hope it is good enough and I last. I should have done it when I was younger w/o a doubt! I already can be a grumpy old man at times.

Funny you memtion the fast car. I have been toying around the last 6 months or so & debating on whether to pull the trigger on buying a corvette. I used to own one when I was in my late 20s. I would have a tough time affording a brand new one but I was looking at 2007-2008's maybe. They are not too expensive. The kicker is if I do decide to do this I am not even going to tell my wife about it, I am just going to bring it home(have it delivered one day) so she does not have a chance to sh*t can the idea. Yeah I will be sleeping on the couch for a few months but it will be worth it. & yes I just turned 40 this past May.LOL

Well Have sort been collecting, fixing up and selling 50cc scooters the last few years but not sure that counts. Was more a teen obsession that I like as a hobby now.

31 is young enough if I can do it now. Best of luck to you. It is an amazing journey.

Yeah the hard part is really I am more granddad age (He only has one grand parent, which is a bit of a bummer) and he will eventually notice, I hope I am more secure! Because this was a surprise and I am not very much so right now! My Mom and Dad were older too but had 4 other kids before me. At least, my GF is in her early 30s still. I plan on doing my best, hope it is good enough and I last. I should have done it when I was younger w/o a doubt! I already can be a grumpy old man at times.

Well Have sort been collecting, fixing up and selling 50cc scooters the last few years but not sure that counts. Was more a teen obsession that I like as a hobby now.

31 is young enough if I can do it now. Best of luck to you. It is an amazing journey.

I hear you! My brother is 49 and already has a grandchild... Whacks him hard! Poor fella! Thanks bro, you made me a great uncle! LoL...

BS, my youngest was born on my 40th.

The absolute best birthday present a guy could hope for.

Shirley .. You can quote airplane. That movie is timeless...

I'm not quite at that kid stage yet, but I'm 31 and getting married this weekend. I'm the youngest of 3, so my parents are a bit older. I was at a birthday party for a 1 year old this weekend and the kid's great grandmother was there. It bothers me sometimes when I realize that my own kid will be very lucky to even have a grandparent around for some of the bigger events (graduation, wedding, etc...).

Earlier than 31?? No you don't. Child rearing is not for people who aren't ready for it.

Congratulations and good luck!

I'm not quite at that kid stage yet, but I'm 31 and getting married this weekend. I'm the youngest of 3, so my parents are a bit older. I was at a birthday party for a 1 year old this weekend and the kid's great grandmother was there. It bothers me sometimes when I realize that my own kid will be very lucky to even have a grandparent around for some of the bigger events (graduation, wedding, etc...).

BS, my youngest was born on my 40th.

The absolute best birthday present a guy could hope for.

40 is now considered not that old, especially for a guy... Heck, 30 years ago I remember how shocked my family was when my aunt had a my cousin in her late 30's! Now, it is a little bit different, but females still have the clock working against them. Not the guys. Our second child was @ 35. 40 is still 25 years from retirement. Bowery will be fine, he's got a younger lady! You go Bowery! ;-)

On that note... My uncle is younger than his nephew! Figure that one out. Hint: My aunt (father's older sister) was having a child (my cousin) while her mother (my grandmother, in her 40's) was also having a child (my uncle). And they were born in the early 1950's!

My granddad got married when he was 45 to a 23 year old and they had 9 kids, he was born in the 1890s and lived 91 years (his wife died at 65, I think, before him in any case) he was a carpenter (house builder) and I remember him putting a roof on my parents house when he was almost 90 (3 floor house) carrying shingles on his shoulder like it was nothing.I am hoping I have his genes but don't want anymore kids to be honest. My Dad died in his early 60s and my Mom in her early 70s. Kids do stress you out (they had 5 and my Dad was a stressed person), I felt young (and looked pretty young my whole life) well into my 40s but time is definitely catching up, we will see.

My granddad got married when he was 45 to a 23 year old and they had 9 kids, he was born in the 1890s and lived 91 years (his wife died at 65, I think, before him in any case) he was a carpenter (house builder) and I remember him putting a roof on my parents house when he was almost 90 (3 floor house) carrying shingles on his shoulder like it was nothing.I am hoping I have his genes but don't want anymore kids to be honest. My Dad died in his early 60s and my Mom in her early 70s. Kids do stress you out (they had 5 and my Dad was a stressed person), I felt young (and looked pretty young my whole life) well into my 40s but time is definitely catching up, we will see.

That guy was a stud!

40 is now considered not that old, especially for a guy... Heck, 30 years ago I remember how shocked my family was when my aunt had a my cousin in her late 30's! Now, it is a little bit different, but females still have the clock working against them. Not the guys. Our second child was @ 35. 40 is still 25 years from retirement. Bowery will be fine, he's got a younger lady! You go Bowery! ;-)

On that note... My uncle is younger than his nephew! Figure that one out. Hint: My aunt (father's older sister) was having a child (my cousin) while her mother (my grandmother, in her 40's) was also having a child (my uncle). And they were born in the early 1950's!

I was 32 when my son was born.

My mother, her sister and their mother were all pregnant at the same time back in 1965.

My brother was born before our uncle and my cousin was born before both of them.

Figure THAT one out! :-)

That guy was a stud!

Yeah... But he made his young bride's uterus fall out with 9 kids! :-P :-P

I was 32 when my son was born.

My mother, her sister and their mother were all pregnant at the same time back in 1965.

My brother was born before our uncle and my cousin was born before both of them.

Figure THAT one out! :-)

LoL... Wow, you got me beat... My head is spinning!

Yeah... But he made his young bride's uterus fall out with 9 kids! :-P :-P

LoL... Wow, you got me beat... My head is spinning!

My great grandmother had my grandmother at 16. My grandmother had my mother at 16. My mother had my brother at 19.

My grandmother has nine children. My mom was born in 1944 and her youngest sibling (my uncle) was born in 1965 (after my brother was born earlier the same year).

My great grandmother had my grandmother at 16. My grandmother had my mother at 16. My mother had my brother at 19.

My grandmother has nine children. My mom was born in 1944 and her youngest sibling (my uncle) was born in 1965 (after my brother was born earlier the same year).

Wow... The Gugny family was busy! ;-) ;-)