Bills Top WRs

Owen

I'd say the only "locks" are S Johnson and Woods. All others, including Graham and Goodwin, will have to prove themselves to get a spot. I think that they will keep 6 WRs, maybe 7 if the 7th best WR is a better special teams player than the best at the other positions but that's up in the air until training camp. The early frontrunners besides Johnson and Woods, IMO, are Graham, Goodwin, Rogers and Kaufmann. Given his salary and age I think that Smith would really have to stand out for them to keep him (although he has been good this off season).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, back to this argument again. Why put Brad Smith (a gadget player) in a wildcat situation to get you 2-3 yards, when you have Freddy or CJ at your disposal? Sounds dumb to me.

Why put Smith back at KE when you have McKelvin, Rogers, Graham, CJ, And countless other ST scrubs in your roster?

Why would you okay him at WC when you actually have a QB that is dedicated to throwing the ball on a consistant basis?

Why would you use him at WR when you have 3-5 other WRs that are better at your disposal?

The only real argument you have is that he was absolutely money last year in coverage teams. Ill give you that. IMO, he earned his paycheck last year. But to say that he was even average at any other position he played last year, or his entire career in this league is laughable. Makes me laugh til I cry... Or puke.

In the end, your paying a guy $4million per year in a guy that does 5 different things, and none of them well, and where he's used, the dropoff between him and some other scrub not making $4mil a year, or someone else you'd have on the roster already, like McKelvin, or Graham, or Freddy/CJ.

Lets ask this question, which I brought up last year. Lets say we don't sign Byrd this season. Let him go for practically nothing. And you find out we were $2million a year short for signing him. Would you rather have Byrd, as overpriced as he may be? Or would you rather have B. Smith?

Thought so.

I have been raising the contract room argument on TBD for awhile now, no one ever has any rebuttal. We lost Levitre, who I thought was asking for too much, we may lose Byrd, and we have this 5th wide-reciever making $4 million. It's lunacy. He has done nothing, he's not an option at QB, RB, or WR. McKelvin and Spiller have done fine on returns without him, and Goodwin may be able to do some KR and be an actual WR. Everyone lost their mind about our old QB's contract and cap ramifications, but at least he played well some times. Smith has had 3 highlight plays in 3 years.

We have contracts ending next year too, this guy needs to go.

I'd agree with all of that except for the part where you said Smith was "really good". I almost crapped myself laughing actually on that one.

To say he is really good really shows how clueless you are on the subject so its really hard to take your post seriously.

Sorry, nothing personal, the people here that know me well enough, know how much I can't stand Brad Smith. At least in his wildcat role. I know what your saying, that he will be dedicated to playing the WR position. But in fairness, his career stats are 101 receptions, 949 yards, a d 5 TDs over a 7 year career. To say he's "really good" is a shot in the face to all WRs at the NFL level.

http://www.nfl.com/p...2506916/profile

Excellent post. If you want a WR for his experience, why would you choose Smith?

I'll play along, not much else going on so why not.

I think 4 spots are 100% locks: SJ, Graham, Woods and Goodwin. I think after that you got: Easley, Smith, Rogers, Kaufmann, Elliott, Hogan, et al. I think they will end up keeping 7 this year to be perfectly honest (Easley, Smith and Rogers). I think the organization wants Easley to take a step forward. They've been so patient with him, why would they wait until he's finally healthy and ready to go and then cut him. Doesn't make a lot of sense. In fact, I kind of think if Easley can stay healthy, he's in the conversation for the #3 receiver spot after SJ and Woods. I think Nix wants it to unfold that way on account of his speed and size. I agree with you that Smith is too valuable as a special teamer to let go. I think Rogers just has to show he can stay out of trouble. I really can't see who they cut at this point. For all I know they keep Kaufmann too as a hybrid WR/TE. I guess we'll find out.

Easley was "finally healthy" all of last season. He "stayed healthy" all season. Yet he wasn't a WR last year. Now we have even better WR's for him to beat out for a spot at WR than the ones he couldn't beat out last season.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Excellent post. If you want a WR for his experience, why would you choose Smith?

Because outside of Stevie, he's the 2nd most experienced NFL WR on the team. Basically it will come down to whether they keep 6 or 7 WRs and whether they feel Kaufman can develop (I have Stevie, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, and Rogers as locks).

Easley was "finally healthy" all of last season. He "stayed healthy" all season. Yet he wasn't a WR last year. Now we have even better WR's for him to beat out for a spot at WR than the ones he couldn't beat out last season.

Unless Easley blows up (not literally, although given his history...) in pre-season, he's done. But I don't see that happening and he'll be cut.

I'd say the only "locks" are S Johnson and Woods. All others, including Graham and Goodwin, will have to prove themselves to get a spot. I think that they will keep 6 WRs, maybe 7 if the 7th best WR is a better special teams player than the best at the other positions but that's up in the air until training camp. The early frontrunners besides Johnson and Woods, IMO, are Graham, Goodwin, Rogers and Kaufmann. Given his salary and age I think that Smith would really have to stand out for them to keep him (although he has been good this off season).

You could be right. It's not necessarily who are the 5 or 6 best WRs. A slew of other factors can play in and we have yet to see how this new staff builds a roster. They could decide Goodwin is the small seed guy and Keep over Graham or both. Woods and Stevie will surely be there, Goodwin likely, Da'Rick has a Ton of talent if he keeps his head right.. I suspect if he was still on the team many would have Donald Jones as a lock too.

Either way its a nice group... It's up to the QB play now

You could be right. It's not necessarily who are the 5 or 6 best WRs. A slew of other factors can play in and we have yet to see how this new staff builds a roster. They could decide Goodwin is the small seed guy and Keep over Graham or both. Woods and Stevie will surely be there, Goodwin likely, Da'Rick has a Ton of talent if he keeps his head right.. I suspect if he was still on the team many would have Donald Jones as a lock too.

Either way its a nice group... It's up to the QB play now

I really don't know why they got rid of Donald Jones. I always thought he had a lot of playmaking potential. At least let him get beat out in camp.

You think their 3rd rd pick from this year has to prove himself (against a bunch of nobody's) to make the team? I disagree. I think Goodwin has a spot (I'm not saying he plays a lot) and graham will have a spot. They don't have much competition. Cutting either would be stupid, based on the guys we might keep over them, having not nearly as much upside.

ok, back to this argument again. Why put Brad Smith (a gadget player) in a wildcat situation to get you 2-3 yards, when you have Freddy or CJ at your disposal? Sounds dumb to me.

Why put Smith back at KE when you have McKelvin, Rogers, Graham, CJ, And countless other ST scrubs in your roster?

Why would you okay him at WC when you actually have a QB that is dedicated to throwing the ball on a consistant basis?

Why would you use him at WR when you have 3-5 other WRs that are better at your disposal?

The only real argument you have is that he was absolutely money last year in coverage teams. Ill give you that. IMO, he earned his paycheck last year. But to say that he was even average at any other position he played last year, or his entire career in this league is laughable. Makes me laugh til I cry... Or puke.

In the end, your paying a guy $4million per year in a guy that does 5 different things, and none of them well, and where he's used, the dropoff between him and some other scrub not making $4mil a year, or someone else you'd have on the roster already, like McKelvin, or Graham, or Freddy/CJ.

Lets ask this question, which I brought up last year. Lets say we don't sign Byrd this season. Let him go for practically nothing. And you find out we were $2million a year short for signing him. Would you rather have Byrd, as overpriced as he may be? Or would you rather have B. Smith?

Thought so.

Dude - that was the old coaching staff that was running the wildcat ...news flash!! They aren't here anymore.........

Dude - that was the old coaching staff that was running the wildcat ...news flash!! They aren't here anymore.........

I think you missed his point. So, running the wildcat is what he was most successful at, but, we won't be running the wild cat any more, but we should keep him on the roster as the #5 or 6 receiver because of ???????

IMO, TJ Graham is a huge liability @ WR... I'm not worried because I'm confident he won't make the final roster. -Can't wait 'till the day he's cut.

Do I smell a wager?

I really don't know why they got rid of Donald Jones. I always thought he had a lot of playmaking potential. At least let him get beat out in camp.

He was barely productive because he was rarely healthy.

I certainly do not hate Brad Smith. I don't know him. I think he works hard after all he has been in the league for seven years.. That being said I think the Bills over paid him. He is not an NFL QB. He is not even much of a threat as a wild cat QB, because he cannot throw. Yes he had success running for three yards for a first down but your RB should be able to do that. This coaching staff has no intention of running the wild cat, so his QB days are over.

He is a good ST player and at WR he is at best a depth player. He turns thirty this year. Do you pay him $4M to be a ST player and a back up WR? You know what you have with Brad, do you want him taking up a roster spot at the expense of one of the young guys with potential?

IMO, TJ Graham is a huge liability @ WR... I'm not worried because I'm confident he won't make the final roster. -Can't wait 'till the day he's cut.

You are off base on this one sir.

Doc i would like a piece of the action !

And Donald Jones ? I too was at first suprised but i feel much better now. i recently watched highlight reels of spillers and noticed that Jones gave up on blocks almost each play.

If they get Woods Graham Goodwin and SJ on the field all at once thats a matchup nightmare in theory.

Also about Smith. i dont want my # 1 back playing special team any more or my # 2 corner if i can help it .

Smith is on the edge though because of money and age, not his hands.

I have a feeling they will carry 7 WR's with Brad Smith being on of them, good gadget players can run the wild cat adds a good wrinkle and experience to the roster. Smith also is a quality return man, Even with the Byrd situation its not like the Bills are hard up against the cap this year they can afford Smith its just a question of how good he is and I think he is good enough to make the roster.

I had this thought as well, but at the same time, his hands and ability to get open just never seemed to materialize either. There must have been something they knew about Jones and Nelson for that matter that just wasn't going to work with the new roster.

I certainly do not hate Brad Smith. I don't know him. I think he works hard after all he has been in the league for seven years.. That being said I think the Bills over paid him. He is not an NFL QB. He is not even much of a threat as a wild cat QB, because he cannot throw. Yes he had success running for three yards for a first down but your RB should be able to do that. This coaching staff has no intention of running the wild cat, so his QB days are over.

He is a good ST player and at WR he is at best a depth player. He turns thirty this year. Do you pay him $4M to be a ST player and a back up WR? You know what you have with Brad, do you want him taking up a roster spot at the expense of one of the young guys with potential?

Smith did show flashes as a WR and maybe if able to focus on it can take one last shot at some offensive production.

smith cant catch the deep or jump ball, he is still a good st guy and back up or 5th wide out, graham and easley are the bubble palyers. No way they cut goodwin who is faster than graham and possibly better hands, (unkown ) but tj isnt sure handed and not that fast, just faster than most. Goodwin is smaller though so he needs to prove he can catch. However, its really up to easley to make it a challenge, hes had alot of drops in past preseasons and if that happens this year i say hes out or buf just keeps 7. Why wouldnt they keep 7 inc darick and smith since they want to have a spread heavy passing attack, and they dont have a FB anymore.

---^ I hate Brad Smith. Hate the position he plays on a football team. And I hate all the gimmicky following a guy like him gets. Nobody worries about the WC anymore. His position at the price he earns is completely unwarranted. Your essentially taking a roster spit from a potential good football player. We all know He is not one.

come on Vet, give Brad some love, "Hate" is such a strong word, there are much more important things in life worth hating than a nice guy, productive fooball player, who gives back to the community. :rolleyes: