Odd places you've met players

One of my worst experiences was meeting Scott Norwood. Bills were doing autographs/holding practice at my local high school in 1987 (or maybe 88). I was 9 years old. Me and some other random kid went up to Norwood for his autograph (no one else in his line).

Norwood said, "I gotta go, so I only have time to sign one."

The other kid said, "my name is Scott, like you, and it's my birthday." (obviously, lying).

So, Norwood signed his paper and left.

He couldn't have taken 3 more seconds to sign for me too?

Was Norwood able to make sure his autograph stayed on the paper?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Bruce @ Pure Platinum and played pool against he and his friend. He cheated, every ball that dropped, regardless of what pocket, he thought was OK and tried to keep going. I called him out on it. At first, he looked shocked and as if he was going to go the *D route, but then he laughed and was cool about it...said something like he was shocked I actually called him out on it. Ended up being a great night as we shared a table and had an endless train of "dancers" at the table.

Met "House" Ballard at the Old Country Buffett on Union, the old Dicks Plaza. I'm 6'3" 260 and I could completely hide behind this man.

Had a couple run ins with Jimbo...won't bother with the story as they weren't very good experiences and he's "immortal" on this board...Same goes with Reed and Thomas.

Eric Moulds stopped in a dive bar we used to frequent as under agers...also, not a good ending to the night...for Moulds, anyway. Turns out, the hot bartender was one of his baby momma's and he put his hands on her (grabbed her, not hit her) and my buddy's, the bouncers, and a couple of us tossed his a** out the door.

Another buddy knocked out Chris Rasmussen (sp, and a Sabre) at Fat Cats back in the day...awesome night...and "Razor" didn't even care, he thought he deserved what he got for being a tool.

Jay McKee (sp) is a total D Bag, by the way.

:thumbsup:

Back in the day... Not myself (just a young lad @ the time), my father claims he met Isiah Roberston and Jim Haslett coming out of Mr. C's. (Genesee Street/Airport... Strip club back in the day for those who don't remember) He claims they weren't that big... Even told them so! LoL... Good thing these were the days before a felonious player would snap and shoot execution style... Or I'd be an orphan. :o

James Lofton and another player (I think it was C. Bennett) made an appearance at the car dealership where I used to work in East Rochester. Either '89 or '90; I know it was before the Bills made their first trip to a superbowl.

I was there too. They were recording for a Sunday morning pre game show.

I don't know how odd it is but I met OJ walking down Main St. Downtown right after the Bills drafted him. He was with a bunch of front office people. He was wearing orange platform shoes, odd that I would remember that detail.

I don't know how odd it is but I met OJ walking down Main St. Downtown right after the Bills drafted him. He was with a bunch of front office people. He was wearing orange platform shoes, odd that I would remember that detail.

He wouldn't wear those ugly ass shoes!!!

A few years ago, sat within two tables of O.J. and his family at the Anchor bar. It was after Bills/ Miami game. Juice was rumored to be in town for game. Wanted to show his son ( Miami Fan), where he played. He started to walk toward us, saw our bills gear, and said go Bills. He had a leather bills jacket, that had to go for at least a Grand. Wonder if that might have been what he was trying to recover??? I might have had to use a gun myself to get that jacket back!!! LOL

As a kid, my mom was a bartender in the Lancaster area, and I lived next to Kanata's in Depew. Frequently, I was dragged out of bed by my mom's boyfriends or barfly friends to meet Kelly, Reich, Thurman, Bruce, Talley, even Don Beebe (who didn't drink, really weird that he was at the bar next door to me), and Ray Bentley.

Metzalaars and McKeller visited my elementary school. Poz visited the middle school I work at, and the Josh Reed went on a date my boss when I was a RA in Brockport,

i met Bruce Smith in a high school weight room. i coach the track team and he came in looking for the football team. a kid from our team told him where they were. i ran over saying i will show him where they are.

While at the Canadian Ballet at Pure Platinum many years ago sat next to Bruce Smith... until a half dozen girls swept him up and took him into the back room. I have also seen the Patriots owner Bob Kraft there and also sat next to Antoine Winfield therer many years ago.

No Bills players...unfortunately.

Chris Webber and Rod Strickland were in a parking lot in front of a Hallmark Store off Lottsford Rd. in Mitchellville, MD jumping an older lady's car battery (actually, Rod Strickland stayed in the passenger seat, Chris Webber was standing outside helping the woman). I was going to the bank that was right there and noticed him and a small crowd forming. The lady asked Chris, in response to the autograph seekers, "what is it that you do?" He responded that he "plays a mean guitar."

Played pool at the pool table next to where Lavar Arrington and Jeremiah Trotter were playing pool at the Dave and Busters in White Flint mall. It was him and a few of his friends and there were probably 3 or 4 women at the table. Lavar kept telling his friends "go see what's up with that girl" as he would point in the direction of some random female.

Was at a light in Ashburn and Jason Campbell was directly next to me in a 6 series BMW with the "superman" sign replacing all the BMW logos. It looked really stupid.

Around 2004 or so I talked to Champ Bailey at a gas station. He was in a nasty red Hennessy Viper. I was in my slow Comptech supercharged S2000. I *tried to* keep up with him for about 5 miles north on 95 having a blast as me and the lady were on the way to the Inner Harbor. It occurred to me that he probably thought I was following him because he was going in excess of 120 miles an hour and, for a while, I tried to keep up.

Edited by Juror#8

Gabe Northern once coming out of the Galleria Mall....he was near an entrance talking to some people...Jamie Nails was heading out of McKinley Mall once while I was heading in wearing Bills gear...gave each other a head nod...Adam Lingner a couple of times at Jills appearances...at the second one, after the Jills left, he and I shot the **** for a little while. Talked to Josh Stamer and Terrence McGee at Jills Congratulatory Party in 07

Not really an odd place, but years ago I went to watch the old Quarterback Challenge in Orlando, and at one point Jim Kelly started walking toward me. I took off my Orlando Bills Backer hat and handed it to him as he walked by. He said thanks and kept moving with his crowd, but then stopped, turned, took off the hat he was wearing, put on the hat I gave him, and flipped his sweaty hat to me.

It was like I gave Mean Joe Greene my bottle of Coke...one of those cool slow-motion moments as the hat spun in my direction...right before a guy to my right reached out, grabbed it and split.

Not really an odd place, but years ago I went to watch the old Quarterback Challenge in Orlando, and at one point Jim Kelly started walking toward me. I took off my Orlando Bills Backer hat and handed it to him as he walked by. He said thanks and kept moving with his crowd, but then stopped, turned, took off the hat he was wearing, put on the hat I gave him, and flipped his sweaty hat to me.

It was like I gave Mean Joe Greene my bottle of Coke...one of those cool slow-motion moments as the hat spun in my direction...right before a guy to my right reached out, grabbed it and split.

i bet he was related to that kid named scott who met mr norwood on his birthday - that family thinks on their feet.

I live in Los Angeles (born and raised in Rochester), and work in the motion picture industry. I worked on a commercial for a body wash product that featured Tony Gonzalez from the Falcons. Holy smokes, that guy is a beast!

you go to any backer joints? LA here and in the industry too

When my parents first started dating, my Mom worked at the Aud, and used to sneak my father into games and concerts. My dad met Jimbo at a Sabres game at the urinal, and told him "nice game on Sunday". Jim told him to "Eff off dick head" and to mind his own business. My dad zipped up, poured his beer on Jimbo's head, then had to have my mom sneak him out the service entrance.

According to my mother Thurman, Jimbo, and Bruce spent the entire night looking for him.

Some time back in the early 90's my wife and then 6 month old daughter and I went up to Buffalo so I could see a game and the wife and kid could see my family. I had some upgrades on US Air and was getting my wife and child situated in first class when all of sudden the light disappeared. I looked up and there was the largest person I'd ever seen that close up - Bruce Smith getting his mother situated in her seat....he looked enormous that close up....I also played catch with OJ out in front of his house back in the mid 70's - he lived across the street from a good friend of mine in the really ritzy part of East Amherst.....somewhere off of Klein Road if I recall correctly. He had his USC letter jacket on....

When my parents first started dating, my Mom worked at the Aud, and used to sneak my father into games and concerts. My dad met Jimbo at a Sabres game at the urinal, and told him "nice game on Sunday". Jim told him to "Eff off dick head" and to mind his own business. My dad zipped up, poured his beer on Jimbo's head, then had to have my mom sneak him out the service entrance.

According to my mother Thurman, Jimbo, and Bruce spent the entire night looking for him.

Let me guess. It was the week after Super Bowl Sunday in either 1991, 1992, 1993, or 1994. LoL...