Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it bad that I dont really care about this anymore?

I just want it over. Whether its him signing long term with us, signing his franchise tender, or us trading him.

I just want to move on from this potential distraction. Thats the last thing this "new" team needs right now.

CBF

If they haven't even been talking, then it surely won't get done today.

Kinda sad-- this will be a wasted year for the Bills re Byrd.

Odds are we can circle on the calendar the day after the last preseason game for him to report.... like ive been saying, we likely wouldnt see much in the way of comments or progress until this week, and it looks like all we will be getting is comments. now id expect it to drag until as late as possible to avoid risking injury, but after that, hopefully in the building within a few days to get up to speed. its possible though i think less likely he comes in for that last week of preseason but sits out the game.

I just want it over. Whether its him signing long term with us, signing his franchise tender, or us trading him.

I just want to move on from this potential distraction. Thats the last thing this "new" team needs right now.

CBF

Unfortunately every team has them at one time and once one is taken care of another comes up. Just part of the business.

The Bills had two solid young players set to hit free agency this year, Levitre and Byrd, two of the few draft success stories on the roster. Both were widely considered to be in the top 5 or 10 players at their respective positions, with room for improvement. Neither of them were locked up before their rookie contracts expired. One, Levitre, walked for nothing. The other, Byrd, is unsigned, and threatens to hold out; even if he doesn't, it is highly unlikely he'll be a Bill beyond this year.

The last good young player the Bills had in a similiar situation was Stevie Johnson, and they came down to the wire with respect to resigning him.

Wood and Carrington are going to be FAs after this season. So far, there has been no evidence that the Bills have taken any steps to extend either of them, although there is still time.

Spiller will be a FA in two years and is likely to cash in substantially.

What I want to know is, what is this organization's strategy toward building its core? If the strategy is to "build through the draft", why isn't the team more proactive about locking up the few players it actually drafted well? And why also hasn't the organization done more to draft proactively, in the event players depart? Why wasn't Levitre's potential replacement drafted last year (or this year for that matter)? What criteria does OBD use in determining who to attempt to lock up long-term? And if the issue is players not wanting to be here, what is being done to address that?

The Bills had two solid young players set to hit free agency this year, Levitre and Byrd, two of the few draft success stories on the roster. Both were widely considered to be in the top 5 or 10 players at their respective positions, with room for improvement. Neither of them were locked up before their rookie contracts expired. One, Levitre, walked for nothing. The other, Byrd, is unsigned, and threatens to hold out; even if he doesn't, it is highly unlikely he'll be a Bill beyond this year.

The last good young player the Bills had in a similiar situation was Stevie Johnson, and they came down to the wire with respect to resigning him.

Wood and Carrington are going to be FAs after this season. So far, there has been no evidence that the Bills have taken any steps to extend either of them, although there is still time.

What I want to know is, what is this organization's strategy toward building its core? If the strategy is to "build through the draft", why isn't the team more proactive about locking up the few players it actually drafted well? And why also hasn't the organization done more to draft proactively, in the event players depart? Why wasn't Levitre's potential replacement drafted last year (or this year for that matter)? What criteria does OBD use in determining who to attempt to lock up long-term? And if the issue is players not wanting to be here, what is being done to address that?

Amen CT. The Bills allow their own to reach peak value by not negotiating contracts before a player reaches his walk year. I doubt Byrd and Levitre would require the contracts they seek/have if the team began negotiations in late 2011.

Every time the franchise takes a step forward, they'll then take at least a step back, as you note.

Amen CT. The Bills allow their own to reach peak value by not negotiating contracts before a player reaches his walk year. I doubt Byrd and Levitre would require the contracts they seek/have if the team began negotiations in late 2011.

Every time the franchise takes a step forward, they'll then take at least a step back, as you note.

It always takes at least two, and usually more when an agent is involved, to come to an agreement, though. It is possible the Bills did just that, and the offer was not sweet enough to offset the potentially greater dollars available when he hit FA. Agents will often advise players to take that risk in pursuit of a greater payday.

I would love to see a system like baseball's emerge, where there is arbitration and perhaps more controllable years for teams. I don't think you'll ever see that without a move toward guaranteed contracts, though.

In principle that would make sense but if the Bills did that in 2011, would that have put them out of the Mario sweepstakes? Or be able to resign SJ13?

The assumptions and curious arguments are just flying from the armchair GMs, aren't they?

Assumption #1 -- Levitre would have been willing to give the Bills a "deal" knowing how much his number would be at free agency.

Assumption #2 -- Byrd " " " " ".

(editorial comment: you do realize the 2nd contract is perhaps the most important contract a player will ever sign?)

Assumption #3 -- The Bills have no intention of speaking with Wood and Carrington about contract extensions.

Curious Argument #1 -- the Bills "waited too long" to extend Stevie Johnson?

Curious Argument #2 -- the Bills don't "lock up" their own acquisitions (Kyle Williams, Stevie, McKelvin, FJax don't count I suppose).

Not surprised at all to see BillsVet jump in to concur with your analysis. He just sits around waiting for criticisms upon which to piggyback, even if most of them don't make a lot of sense.

I'm still wondering why no team has discussed a sign and trade with the Bills if the numbers Byrd is asking for are such a "no-brainer" and it's only the Bills who are balking.

There is NO amount of money the Bills could have offered either Levitre or Byrd BEFORE they were set to hit free agency. They were both intent on doing it that way. Which makes perfect sense for them.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills drafted 2 safeties this year and have Aaron Williams transitioning to safety. So they seemed to have planned for Byrd taking flight (ha ha). Levitre...not so much. But they've found treasures in other teams' trash and ultimately the proof will be in the pudding, i.e. how well their replacements play.

Now hang on here, to be fair, the reason that Stevie is the only other example is because they were proactive in extending guys like Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson, and others.

As to your question, the answer is really quite simple in my opinion: the team values other areas more than they do guard and safety. Right or wrong; that's your answer.

I say lets give Byrd a 3 year 24.6 million deal so it gives him a chance to cash in at still a young age and lets the team develop these younger safeties

Won't happen...not enough guaranteed money.

CBF

Well said, CBF! Me too!