Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Really more than the whole team? Did he play for someone else or is he not part of team?

Think you meant REST OF team but appears there is no TEAM in BYRD.

Absolutely NO. His agent Parker will just insist on a reworked deal 2 years from now. He did that to Bills before.

He has no history of that. He did not negotiate peters contract with the bills.

And we are giving him up front money, like it or not if we extend him- I'm discussing how that should hit the cap. Do you really think he wouldn't be taking home atleast 10-15m in year 1 of any contract he signs?

T-Minus 23hours and 2inutes and still nothing.

Not holding my breath that's for sure.

And if the rumors are correct that Byrd won't sign his tag unless the Bills promise not to tag him again next year, you might as well just cut his @$$. He does nothing for us in the long run, he only holds up the progress of the future replacements that we drafted in April. If they make a promise not to franchise Byrd, I'll be extremely pissed. Part of me will lose a little respect from this organization.

Link to that rumor? I've only seen it from posters on bills boards hung up on Clements.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if the rumors are correct that Byrd won't sign his tag unless the Bills promise not to tag him again next year, you might as well just cut his @$$. He does nothing for us in the long run, he only holds up the progress of the future replacements that we drafted in April. If they make a promise not to franchise Byrd, I'll be extremely pissed. Part of me will lose a little respect from this organization.

This is a business deal so hopefully neither side will let emotion enter into their actions.

Both sides have been very professional so far so I don't think anything crazy will happen.

We will NOT give up the ability to tag him, that eliminates us being able to trade him for value after this season.

Doug Whaley ..... "Thanks for stopping by Eugene. The offer is $6.91m and we are retaining the franchise tag option as is our legal right. If you want to hold out your man in 2013 thats fine with us as we won't have to pay him. The NFL goes on with or without your client. On your way out why don't you make an appointment with my secretary to see me this time next year for another chat. Cheerio."

Doug Whaley ..... "Thanks for stopping by Eugene. The offer is $6.91m and we are retaining the franchise tag option as is our legal right. If you want to hold out your man in 2013 thats fine with us as we won't have to pay him. The NFL goes on with or without your client. On your way out why don't you make an appointment with my secretary to see me this time next year for another chat. Cheerio."

Peter.

I would like to hire you .

till 4 pm monday gents

We will NOT give up the ability to tag him, that eliminates us being able to trade him for value after this season.

Not to mention the bad precedent it would set.

The request also bothers me. Who signs a long-term deal with a provision that says "no more franchise tags"? It's someone who doesn't want to be here, and is going to basically stick it out for as short a deal as possible with as much money as possible.

We have $20 million in cap space we shouldn't need to take out any loans. We should be able to give him $8 million a season and get it over with. Byrd in my opinion is better than Goldson, Weddle and Berry and they are all making roughly $8 million a season. With as much cap space as we have this needs to get done. You don't say ur gonna build through the draft and then let our star players walk after their rookie contracts expire. Pay him

This is exactly what I think.

Buscaglia suggests a backloaded contract which the Bills could "get off the books after the third season if his play dips."

Wouldn't this be the kind of contract that the Byrd camp would be against signing?

As was suggested upthread it might make more sense to give him a frontloaded contract while the Bills have the cap room (right now) with less money due at the end of the contract.

Same average per year but more money upfront.

Well, Ryan Clady has re-signed a huge deal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/14/broncos-ryan-clady-agree-to-five-year-contract-extension/

Why the Bills can't negotiate is beyond me. And if Schefter is correct, this will drag into the pre-season and be a major distraction like the Peters saga was.

Its only a distraction for Doug Whaley. The Coaching Staff and team simply move on without him if he doesn't sign. It's no big deal.

Clearly after the deadline today there are no contract alternatives for Byrd/Parker so he might as well sign the Tag and prepare to get back to work.

Want to hold out? Have a nice vacation.

Well, Ryan Clady has re-signed a huge deal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/14/broncos-ryan-clady-agree-to-five-year-contract-extension/

Why the Bills can't negotiate is beyond me. And if Schefter is correct, this will drag into the pre-season and be a major distraction like the Peters saga was.

who would you rather have ?

Clady at 5yr / $57.5 mil max or Byrd at 5yr / $45 mil max ??