Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think this says more about Whaley than Byrd. Everyone assumed he'd miss mini-camp anyway. Whaley, however, has his first big decision to make. This should set the tone for how he is going to assemble his teams in the future. Overpay a GREAT player at a position that is not of huge importance, or let a GREAT player walk and try to develop from within. Clearly this is a tough decision but we might get a glimps of how Whaley is going to handle business in the future.

And when I say "not of huge importance" I know the S position is important. I'm just saying it's not QB and it's not LS. It's somewhere in between.

And when I say "not of huge importance" I know the S position is important. I'm just saying it's not QB and it's not LS. It's somewhere in between.

LS is by far and away more important than any other position on the field. Rspecially when Sanborn is in your team.

This is the first situation that Whatley has faced like this....others were on Buddy's watch. Whatley will make his bones on this situation.....we may not see Byrd until November.

which of parkers clients have sat out under the tag?

Personally, I think this says more about Whaley than Byrd. Everyone assumed he'd miss mini-camp anyway. Whaley, however, has his first big decision to make. This should set the tone for how he is going to assemble his teams in the future. Overpay a GREAT player at a position that is not of huge importance, or let a GREAT player walk and try to develop from within. Clearly this is a tough decision but we might get a glimps of how Whaley is going to handle business in the future.

seems like putting a lot on one individual negotiation. while its an important one to get right, i dont know how much you can project based on a single unique situation with a lot of moving pieces.

Lol he was a scout.

Ed Reed? Guess you forgot Flacco's contract. SF will overpay when they want to keep LBs just wait. TB overpaid thanks for proving me right. Everyone has to overpay someone to keep them. Mike Wallace was overpaid by the Dolphins. Like I said every team does it. They let guys go to keep others Bills don't have to do that.

Your phrase "everyone over pays" followed "they will probably pay to keep Byrd". In that context you couldn't be more incorrect.

I guess I could understand the need to be proven "right" about an opinion on a chat board. Every one seeks validation in their own quirky way.

We shouldn't break the bank for a free safety. Bad for the TEAM that he is not learning the new system and gelling with new D secondary. Happy to let him sit and for the TEAM to move on if needs be. Sign him for reasonable money if we can but this salary cap money can be better spent elsewhere. I would love to get 2 first round picks for a Byrd trade but don't see anyone parting with this compensation.

You can't build a contender by overpaying players at lower impact positions either.

What is an extremely strong indicator of a successful team? Turnovers. Byrd is by far the best on the team at creating them. He plays safety.

How in your right mind can you say he plays a "lower impact position"?

The defensive gameplan last year was atrocious every single week. I'm hoping they sign Byrd long term and build off of him.

Where do you get that from? He's never said he didn't want to play in BLo. It seems more fans assuming that's the case because he has stayed quiet and won't sign for less. He's earned his money. Bills should pay him.

Sorry, but actions speak louder than words. EJ Manuel doesn't have a contract, either, and he hasn't missed a work out. If Byrd wanted to play here, he could show some good faith and at least be in town, or maybe talk to his agent and give a little on the numbers. He is a good safety, but is he worth the top safety salary in the league? No.

Sorry, but actions speak louder than words. EJ Manuel doesn't have a contract, either, and he hasn't missed a work out. If Byrd wanted to play here, he could show some good faith and at least be in town, or maybe talk to his agent and give a little on the numbers. He is a good safety, but is he worth the top safety salary in the league? No.

Can't even come close to comparing the two. Are you serious?

If him and his agent think he is that good than the Bills should tell them to broker a trade deal that will return a 1st round draft choice. Once they see what his trade value is maybe it will be easier to reach a contract deal.

Can't even come close to comparing the two. Are you serious?

Yes I can. When I was a master sergeant in the Air Force, I was expected to do the same things lower-ranking airmen did, and for a whole lot less money than what the Bills are offering Byrd. You want that kind of money, act the part.

That sort of behavior is not part of the Parker playbook. You basically cut off all personal contact between the player and the team front office and coaching staff, and you make them sweat. Also, it keeps the player from backing down from the confrontation due to feelings of loyalty and that sort of thing.

I hope the Bills have assigned what they feel is a fair contract value given Byrd's projected value to the team, and if Parker insists on more, then the Bills should stick to their guns. If a trade with strong draft choice compensation is offered, they should consider it. If he wants to play it to the point of July 15th, they should let him. If he wants to play chicken into the season, let him.

Yes I can. When I was a master sergeant in the Air Force, I was expected to do the same things lower-ranking airmen did, and for a whole lot less money than what the Bills are offering Byrd. You want that kind of money, act the part.

The NFL is a little different than the military. Just a little.

The NFL is a little different than the military. Just a little.

I see a few similarities, Both have a guy in charge that monitors everything you say and do while acting without any boundaries. Both have powerful armies of people that go out and collect money using the law & both cannot be touched via anti-trust laws, allowing them to basically print money without being taxed.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown