Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

According to Premium Stats on ProFootballFocus.com, the Bills ranked ninth in pass coverage last season:

[list=1]
[*]Seattle Seahawks
[*]Green Bay Packers
[*]Chicago Bears
[*]San Francisco 49ers
[*]Denver Broncos
[*]New England Patriots
[*]Cleveland Browns
[*]Cincinnati Bengals
[*]Buffalo Bills
[/list]

We'll be fine in pass defense. Byrd doesn't fit as well into Pettine's Big Nickel scheme, so the Bills won't overpay. Byrd is smaller and slower than Meeks, Duke Williams, and Bryan Scott, who'll all see increased time in this scheme, in addition to Searcy, Silva, and Aaron Williams. They'd like to have Byrd at the right price, but they won't overpay.

Good summary of our Safety picture: here

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talent is one side of the equation. The willingness to play here is quite another, and it seems that it is lacking on Byrd's part. I'm fine with letting him go.

Where do you get that from? He's never said he didn't want to play in BLo. It seems more fans assuming that's the case because he has stayed quiet and won't sign for less. He's earned his money. Bills should pay him.

If Byrd is let go, can we at least consider the notable post-Jauron castoffs before we determine whether or not the FO knows what it's doing:

1. Lee Evans

2. Andy Levitre

3. Paul Pozluszny

4. Donte Whitner

5. Aaron Maybin

Aside from Lynch, whose complicated situation has been hashed and rehashed to the point of oblivion, and aside from Levitre--whom has yet to play a non-Bills snap--what evidence is there to suggest that the Bills organization doesn't know what they're missing when they let talent walk? Am I missing a player or two?

Because it looks to me that if the Bills don't think he's worth keeping...then he's not worth keeping. To date, their evaluations have shown this to be true.

Of that list, I'd say that Levitre and Whitner were the only ones considered to have talent we didn't want to lose. Lee Evans was old. Poz injury prone, and Maybin one of the biggest busts ever. We know Byrd is an All Pro. It's a big difference. He has more leverage. Oh and Whitner's been off the team for 2 years and he's already been to the Super Bowl. I think he's doing fine.

Its amazing how many people blow a gasket or make assumptions off a pretty standard issue negotiating move that everyone expected to happen. Did anyone actually think hed be here for OTAs without a contract? Once it got into OTAs did anyone really think he was signing before July?

Of that list, I'd say that Levitre and Whitner were the only ones considered to have talent we didn't want to lose. Lee Evans was old. Poz injury prone, and Maybin one of the biggest busts ever. We know Byrd is an All Pro. It's a big difference. He has more leverage. Oh and Whitner's been off the team for 2 years and he's already been to the Super Bowl. I think he's doing fine.

So you think this team would be better off with Whitner on the field. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion--popularity bedamned.

So you think this team would be better off with Whitner on the field. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion--popularity bedamned.

Whitner is a better SS than Wilson. But who cares at this point.

And I hope this doesn't drag on, but I understand 100% Bryd's side. Why should he sign a one year deal & risk injury with no guarantee? He is about as good of playmaker on defense as the Bills have ever had. I hope they find a way to lock him up long term. S is more important than ever.

You can't build a contender by overpaying players at lower impact positions either.

It has to be a sensible discussion and if ultimately Bryds agent only sees a long term huge money deal, I think the bills will sadly need to set Byrd free.

I speculate the respective positions are along these lines:

Bills- arent sure about doing a top safety long term deal and don't know how Byrd looks in the new D. Great player, just don't know if free safety is where the team needs to spend big long term $. One year deal makes best sense.

Parker: Byrd stock is at an all time high, he is considered a top safety in the game coming off an all pro/Probowl/int leading year. This guy won't set foot on a field until he has a long term deal with top safety money. Singing the RFA one year deal brings risk of a down year impairing market value. Unless he has a HOFer type of year, he can only either retain or reduce his market value.

I could be way off base here but these proposed relative postures seem to make a lot of sense and if on target could result in a protracted process, prior to any resolution.

Very good post, and not just because I agree. Nicely presented.

He's just trying to get his money. It has nothing to do with playing in Buffalo. We use that excuse way too often. That mindset should be obsolete considering we bagged the top FA last year. It's about money.

Edited by ko12010

Its amazing how many people blow a gasket or make assumptions off a pretty standard issue negotiating move that everyone expected to happen. Did anyone actually think hed be here for OTAs without a contract? Once it got into OTAs did anyone really think he was signing before July?

Another thing that vets do in this process is hold out strictly to get themselves out of training camp. Then they sign and get to show up for work during the preseason games without having to sweat it out in the summer heat.

Not a great idea, IMO. Since it typically means they are in less than ideal shape for the season (which also means greater chance of injury). Plus, with a new defense being installed, it might be good to get in and learn it.

But I'm sure Byrd feels he has learned 3 new defenses in his 4 years here already. He can pick up a new one, and really, his primary function is ball-hawking.

Oh well...

Another thing that vets do in this process is hold out strictly to get themselves out of training camp. Then they sign and get to show up for work during the preseason games without having to sweat it out in the summer heat.

Not a great idea, IMO. Since it typically means they are in less than ideal shape for the season (which also means greater chance of injury). Plus, with a new defense being installed, it might be good to get in and learn it.

But I'm sure Byrd feels he has learned 3 new defenses in his 4 years here already. He can pick up a new one, and really, his primary function is ball-hawking.

Oh well...

the only snag in that is once july 15 hits, he cant sign a long term deal. odds are it plays out til pretty close to that date at this point. pretty standard issue here, until that date passes.

We? Don't know who this "We" is but the Bills will probably pay to keep Byrd. Every team overpays.

Yes every team over pays, just ask Welker about the Pay.... Oh wait... Let me try again, ask Ed Reed and Ellerby about the Ray.... Oh nope ask Mike Wallace... Dam this is hard. Ok surely a good football team would not lose a two time Probowl free safety under 30 years old to a higher bidder. Whats that san francisco? Goldson did what?

At least they didn't move Revis island from Manhattan to Florida....

Every team overpays? You know who doesnt overpay? The Steelers. You know where our GM came from? The Steelers.

Lol he was a scout.

Yes every team over pays, just ask Welker about the Pay.... Oh wait... Let me try again, ask Ed Reed and Ellerby about the Ray.... Oh nope ask Mike Wallace... Dam this is hard. Ok surely a good football team would not lose a two time Probowl free safety under 30 years old to a higher bidder. Whats that san francisco? Goldson did what?

At least they didn't move Revis island from Manhattan to Florida....

Ed Reed? Guess you forgot Flacco's contract. SF will overpay when they want to keep LBs just wait. TB overpaid thanks for proving me right. Everyone has to overpay someone to keep them. Mike Wallace was overpaid by the Dolphins. Like I said every team does it. They let guys go to keep others Bills don't have to do that.

Edited by EJ3

Uh....we have a great trackrecord for not overpaying...Mario Williams, Fitz?

Mario, maybe. Fitz? As much as some here think a nickel would be overpaying him his deal was appropriate for a mid-level starting QB.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Oh well...

Maybe I'm wrong here but didn't Byrd hit the cycle? Four DC's in 4 years? Byrd said it at the end of 2012. he wants to win, maybe he's not feeling it with yet a new scheme, DC, and a new HC. In the end he's probably expendable, judging by the Bills off season safety moves so far.Unless there's a season ending injury I cannot think of a single team that would do a sign and trade and give up a first for him.

Maybe I'm wrong here but didn't Byrd hit the cycle? Four DC's in 4 years? Byrd said it at the end of 2012. he wants to win, maybe he's not feeling it with yet a new scheme, DC, and a new HC. In the end he's probably expendable, judging by the Bills off season safety moves so far.Unless there's a season ending injury I cannot think of a single team that would do a sign and trade and give up a first for him.

nope he had that one year with Edwards at DC and Wanny as assistant HC to bridge the gap between the two of them