Drinking-the-Kool-Ade Question

I never liked Kool-Ade. I try and be optimistic every season. There have been years where I knew I was kidding myself. Last year I thought that if the defense was good and if Fitzpatrick was adequate, maybe they could win enough to end the playoff drought. It took one game to dash those hopes.

I start out the season watching games live and then end up recording them. Spending an hour watching is less painful somehow. That being said I hope I watch every game live this year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drank the kool-aid last year for the first time in years and I am drinking it again this year but a little more cautiously and thats only because we have a rookie QB. I thought we had the players last year to make the playoffs and if it wasn't for Wanstsandt, and Fitzjunk we probably would have at least threatened to make it. This year I feel that we have an even stronger roster but again we have to see what we get from the QB position. I believe EJ will shine but not sure if he'll be first year ready or not. If the Bills get good, not great QB play, they make the playoffs. I'm confident our defense will drastically get better under Petine and we have more offensive weapons to throw at opossing teams. Love me some Kool-aid.

Hey dere. Me and my fellow Polish Americans from Chicktowaga are still just glad we drafted dat guy Posluszny from Penn State, I tink. He was pretty good.

I have no idea what made me think of this but the best food i ever had at a Wedding Reception was at Dom-Polski Hall in North Tonawanda. It was a brunch and they served breaded pork chops, kielbasa and perogies.

No Kool-Ade.

I have no idea what made me think of this but the best food i ever had at a Wedding Reception was at Dom-Polski Hall in North Tonawanda. It was a brunch and they served breaded pork chops, kielbasa and perogies.

No Kool-Ade.

Dat sounds real good. Dey make real good Polish eats dere at da Polish Villa or even Peter K's is pretty good.

FYI...Allen hired Marv Levy as the NFL's first ST coach.

I get that some want to get amped up over anything and everything relative to their favorite team. But as Code Money pointed out above, realism has led to rampant pessimism, particularly since Donahoe's departure. And who can blame people for taking that attitude considering the results?

Can't blame them at all -- the record speaks for itself. It's all about making a decision, though, about what sort of a person you want to be and what attitude you want to project.

If it's fun or "necessary" for certain folks to continue hammering on the negative, so be it. I just hope they go to different parties than I attend.

If it's fun or "necessary" for certain folks to continue hammering on the negative, so be it. I just hope they go to different parties than I attend.

And this is the reason eternal homer-optimists cannot understand those they deem as "negative." It will never change, because fandom is different for all fans. But for people to lord over us what the definition a fan is, i.e. always being optimistic is the height of self-righteousness.

I don't expect you to agree with me (ever) because I don't understand the insistence that people like me are branded negative for having a dubious take after all these years. I'm optimistic about a lot of things in life, because there is evidence things are better. With the Bills, it's the boy who cried wolf every year and that's precisely what's caused the backlash.

And this is the reason eternal homer-optimists cannot understand those they deem as "negative." It will never change, because fandom is different for all fans. But for people to lord over us what the definition a fan is, i.e. always being optimistic is the height of self-righteousness.

I don't expect you to agree with me (ever) because I don't understand the insistence that people like me are branded negative for having a dubious take after all these years. I'm optimistic about a lot of things in life, because there is evidence things are better. With the Bills, it's the boy who cried wolf every year and that's precisely what's caused the backlash.

First of all, you don't know me -- at all. If you believe that's what I do around here you're not paying attention. I have always accepted there are different types of fans. A couple of years ago I even posted a "guide" of sorts, which was what I thought was a humorous attempt at defining the range from pie-in-the-sky homer to negative ninny. I just don't like being around negative people.

As for being branded "negative" -- it's because you are. You have a right to be, but that doesn't mean it's a pleasure interacting with you. The reason you don't understand it is because you do what all negative people do -- you call yourself a realist.

This is the time of year I chug it by the gallon. Yesterday I was so impressed they signed Ligursky (a FA lineman comes for a visit and they sign him RIGHT THEN AND THERE!) that I had to catch myself. They did about the same thing with Lawson, and while I'd like to think the new Front Office is aggressively upgrading left and right, the truth is more that they picked up journeymen who will help but, hey, hold up a minute, c'mon, they're no better or worse than a lot of other FA's out on the street and no balance of power has shifted.

So my question, on a boring Thursday when I'm itching for even preseason so there's football activity to watch: what's the most extreme buy-in you've made that forced you to catch yourself and say "hey, hold up a minute, c'mon" even before you saw a game?

I'm drinking the Drank.

I was really psyched when JaMarcus Russell lost 200 pounds and we signed him. Then I had to check myself and say OK, maybe we'll just get to the AFC Championship Game this year.

Sizzurp! :beer:

First of all, you don't know me -- at all. If you believe that's what I do around here you're not paying attention. I have always accepted there are different types of fans. A couple of years ago I even posted a "guide" of sorts, which was what I thought was a humorous attempt at defining the range from pie-in-the-sky homer to negative ninny. I just don't like being around negative people.

As for being branded "negative" -- it's because you are. You have a right to be, but that doesn't mean it's a pleasure interacting with you. The reason you don't understand it is because you do what all negative people do -- you call yourself a realist.

They don't like that. You have to understand, only they can 'SEE' the truth. They are the heralds of truth! For some on this board, the Bills could win the superbowl this year and they will talk about them being lucky one year wonders because the 'they din't do anything the previous years'. They won't understand that a lot of us would like to have conversations on the Bills strengths and weaknesses, but they take such ridiculous positions that the conversation is destroyed because someone responds to them and it changes to having to counter their miserableness.

Your definitions are flawed in my opinion.

An optimist says it will happen.

A pessimist says it won't happen.

A realist says it may happen.

The last 13 years have turned many realists into pessimists.

Exactly. I say six or fewer wins and hope to be proven wrong.

How do you see this team and coaching staff being worse than last year? I know it is all conjecture, but I think at the very least Marrone understands that there is a defense. Do you remember Chan's responses when asked about the defense? Do you think the defensive scheme will be more imaginative?

Does anyone think that they will pull Spiller in the red zone? Do you think there will be a lot of punts from the 32? How about wasting a down by running the wildcat?

That sounds about right to me, too, given all the new faces and systems. Much like '86, except we don't have a Jim Kelly, fresh off two very successful professional football seasons, to come in and lead this team. Maybe EJ will emerge as that leader and I hope he does, but anything more than 6 wins and I'll be shocked.

GO BILLS!!!

How do you see this team and coaching staff being worse than last year? I know it is all conjecture, but I think at the very least Marrone understands that there is a defense. Do you remember Chan's responses when asked about the defense? Do you think the defensive scheme will be more imaginative?

Does anyone think that they will pull Spiller in the red zone? Do you think there will be a lot of punts from the 32? How about wasting a down by running the wildcat?

Yes, the D scheme will be more imaginative and more aggressive. But it's a complicated scheme and it will require at least half a season before players are very comfortable in it. Especially those key younger players in the middle. I'd be surprised if they came out of the shoot looking like they've been playing in this system for a long time. That's just the nature of the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Since 1980, I haven't drank the OBD kool-aid in 2001 when Rob Johnson was named starter, and this year. After 13 years of missing the playoffs and getting my hopes up every year that they are turning things around, I need to see results first before I have anymore OBD kool-aid. Seeing is Billeving!

Yes, the D scheme will be more imaginative and more aggressive. But it's a complicated scheme and it will require at least half a season before players are very comfortable in it. Especially those key younger players in the middle. I'd be surprised if they came out of the shoot looking like they've been playing in this system for a long time. That's just the nature of the game.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it's likely the D will be better than last year even before they're fully comfortable in the system. Just based on going from a terribly outdated scheme to a DC who understands how to play defense in 2013. They won't dominate from day 1, there will be some lapses, but it'll be clear after a few weeks we're better off than last year. Just a prediction from a fan who's been wrong many times.

I think it's likely the D will be better than last year even before they're fully comfortable in the system. Just based on going from a terribly outdated scheme to a DC who understands how to play defense in 2013. They won't dominate from day 1, there will be some lapses, but it'll be clear after a few weeks we're better off than last year. Just a prediction from a fan who's been wrong many times.

I'm a proud, card-carrying member of that club myself. When's the next meeting?

I said this earlier, there will be plays where we are amazed but my experience tells me there will be more where we're wondering what the hell was that man thinking. Especially from our young and aggressive MLBs. It's just the nature of the game that it takes time for players, young ones especially, to get comfortable in the scheme they're in. It'll be apparent to all of us when they go from "thinking" out there to just pure instinctive reaction (within the scheme).

GO BILLS!!!